Anyone doing a garden?

spartanmanor

Lunatic Member
I love the ritual of a garden. I only have a small plot but can get a fair amount in. I started some seeds inside a couple of weeks ago. They are all starting to come up and I can’t wait to get them outside.

4 varieties of cucumbers - I want to do some pickling (never have but thought it would be fun)

Lots of lettuce

Spring onions

Radish

Basil

Sweet peas

Melons

Tomatoes (coming from a friend)

Parsley

Cilantro

I'm gonna plant some stuff
tomatoes (grape & BIG variety)
bell peppers
banana peppers
hot peppers
cucumbers
sweet corn
green onions
maybe some herbs

Hopefully I'll get something to eat out of it, if I can keep the birds and squirrels away I'm thinking chicken wire cage over the whole thing.

I do a balcony garden. I do grape and stem tomatoes and Cayenne Peppers, The Lovely Blanche does her flowers.

Red onion
Two types of heirloom tomatoes
Jalepinos
Cucumber
Radishes
Cantaloupe
And I think we have some type of peas too.

Hmmm...
Let's see. This year I have

Jalepenos (of course!!)
cilantro
basil
yellow squash
zucchini
sage
thyme
rosemary

Getting near about time to bring the Mantis up from the barn and till the kitchen garden. Will do tomatoes, Bell peppers, cukes, zucchini and maybe some bush beans this year, the freezers seem to be running low on green beans.

Getting near about time to bring the Mantis up from the barn and till the kitchen garden. Will do tomatoes, Bell peppers, cukes, zucchini and maybe some bush beans this year, the freezers seem to be running low on green beans.

Green beans.......yes I forgot we are planting some of these as well, nothing like fresh beans from the garden. Rob I am sure you have a great garden as you have a beautiful yard.

I do like having a garden. Not sure if I will have time to keep it up this year.

We have some herbs that keep coming back: some ornamental oregano, a purply sage I can't recall the exact name of, and fennel. We have egyptian walking onions that do very well every year without much effort. I tried tomatoes and peppers last year... one of the peppers did pretty well, the others, not so much. Also gave pumpkins, zucchini, and pickling cucumbers a go, but ended up with only a pumpkin (but a nice one). I may try for some pole beans, carrots, radishes, and spinach ... well see... such a weird year I probably should've planted a month ago... hm.

I wish I could have a garden, but my yard is heavily shaded. There's a fellow in town who has a huge garden and has set out 800 tomato plants (seriously, 800). So at least I'll have access to tomatos. And a word of caution about the mint, it's highly invasive once it's established. Easier to get rid of than bamboo, but a pain nonetheless. Just an FYI.

I wish I could have a garden, but my yard is heavily shaded. There's a fellow in town who has a huge garden and has set out 800 tomato plants (seriously, 800). So at least I'll have access to tomatos. And a word of caution about the mint, it's highly invasive once it's established. Easier to get rid of than bamboo, but a pain nonetheless. Just an FYI.

That is a serious amount of tomato's. I have always done about 10 plants in the past years but am thinking of doing less this year to make room for other veggies. As far as the mint goes it does spread but at least the roots do not go deep and can easily be cut back. I will probably take our patch back to half its size this year as I will still have plenty of mint.

I'm putting one in this year. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, lettuce, beets, rutabagas, cukes, radishes. And lots of herbs. :D

I've tried having a garden for over six years. Every stinking year, the squirrels come and eat everything except green peppers and tomatoes. Apples still on the trees, strawberries, grapes on the vine, cucumbers, yellow squash... all of it is nothing but a buffet for the little $hits. I'm pretty much giving up on edible stuff... I got better things to do than sit and watch a patch of ground 24/7. :gigglemad I think this year I'll stick to flowers in the window boxes.

Tom

Last edited:

Herbs!

herbtarlek.jpg

Back
Top Bottom