Anyone doing a garden?

You southern folk are WAY ahead of me up here in the Great White ... My seed starts from the greenhouse just made it out to the beds a couple weeks ago.

Cukes, eggplants, and muskmelon ... also vining beans on the fence across from the bed ...

north-bed-june.jpg

Four varieties of tomatoes, sweet peppers, squash, and cauliflower ... and the corn patch out back. That's also got a couple rows of butterball taters - I find the potatoes grow better shaded by the come the dog days.

south-raised-beds-june.jpg

corn-patch-june.jpg

Still got some taters to plant, as well as another variety of eggplant, as well as some leftovers for spares. Few flats of annuals coming along to stretch the growing season for those already planted. Also some hanging baskets of wave petunias that haven't made it out to the porch yet.

greenhouse-north-table-june.jpg

greenhouse-south-table-june.jpg

We're trying something different. We changed our garden over to a berry patch with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. there are a couple of tomato plants in there also. The strawberries are from last year and they are doing great with a bunch of berries coming in right now. The others are new so they probably won't produce this year. Our deck has 3 more tomato plants in those big wooden barrel planters.

Has anyone done the potatoes in a barrel? This is our 2nd year and it worked very well last year. All you do is plant your potatoes in a barrel and add dirt as they grow and then dump the barrel over and harvest the finished product.

The wife just pulled up all the lettuce and we are getting ready to plant some more cucumbers to have for late summer:thumbsup:

Just pulled the Potatoe plants up today from the Barrels and got about 10lbs of fresh potatoes :thumbsup: time to replant in the barrels :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Man I need a Nap! just had some fresh potatoes and squash from the garden and from the local roadside stand fresh corn :thumbsup: Bring on the fresh veggies :banana:

Keep me posted on how your plants come along as the season progresses.
So far, so good--they're not the tallest things around, but they have grown bushy and thick (it's like they've grown out, not up :D ), very healthy looking, and already have a few fruit on each plant. I think by this time last year, I was already seeing the leaf blight set in.

So far, so good--they're not the tallest things around, but they have grown bushy and thick (it's like they've grown out, not up :D ), very healthy looking, and already have a few fruit on each plant. I think by this time last year, I was already seeing the leaf blight set in.

That's great news! I am happy to hear things are going well for you. :) That's odd, my tomato plants seem to be growing out and not up this year too! What a coincidence. :p

Being tired of fighting slugs & snails, I've also built elevated beds this year. Also used 9v battery method for the first time and it works very well! Connect neg/pos to wires going around containers/beds, and then seal the battery inside a small plastic container. Should hold the voltage well for about 4 months. Measured 8v after one month.

Planted 5 beds exactly a month ago, but mostly had rainy weather since then with really cold nights. So, again for the first time, I tried covering the beds with plastic films, and it worked really well for these plants. Still a long way to go for zucchini plants... Also have cabbages, Bok Choys, and potatoes ready to be planted.

Untitled.jpg

One month ago...

IMG_1373.JPG

Now...
IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG

Being tired of fighting slugs & snails, I've also built elevated beds this year. Also used 9v battery method for the first time and it works very well! Connect neg/pos to wires going around containers/beds, and then seal the battery inside a small plastic container. Should hold the voltage well for about 4 months. Measured 8v after one month.

Planted 5 beds exactly a month ago, but mostly had rainy weather since then with really cold nights. So, again for the first time, I tried covering the beds with plastic films, and it worked really well for these plants. Still a long way to go for zucchini plants... Also have cabbages, Bok Choys, and potatoes ready to be planted.

View attachment 749423

One month ago...

View attachment 749425

Now...
View attachment 749427

View attachment 749432
View attachment 749435

Those work too. Another very good passive, non-electric option is copper mesh:

896dc46ff9219a9cac7fcd43e9c3f664.jpg

It lasts forever and snails hate the texture and metallic nature of it. Works like a charm. Just cut to length and wrap around the bottom of affected plants. It can even be wrapped around pots that snails and slugs attack as well. :)

Those work too. Another very good passive, non-electric option is copper mesh:

896dc46ff9219a9cac7fcd43e9c3f664.jpg

It lasts forever and snails hate the texture and metallic nature of it. Works like a charm. Just cut to length and wrap around the bottom of affected plants. It can even be wrapped around pots that snails and slugs attack as well. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried copper tape without much results, but never thought of mesh. Where can you get something like that?

My hydro cloning machine was a great success on everything except my ccryptomeria tree cuttings. I am now going to try some air rooting to see if I can get some clones. I cut a section open to revel the cambium layer and have created an air tight chamber that I am filling with soaked Peat moss. Peat moss supposedly has a hormone which helps rooting. Anyway here is my setup. I am getting some nice sweating sort of a mini greenhouse on the cuttings. Hopefully in a month or so I will have some nice roots.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom