Anyone doing a garden?

Wow, brothers from different mothers. Last year I grew 26 Heirloom tomato plants 100% organically. No fungicide or insecticide used and fertilized with fish emulsion, liquid kelp and some occasional Tomato Tone. I also grew 4 Hybrid Big Beef and will grow it again this year. Excellent taste and was a prolific producer.

I'm moving to a new place with somewhat better backyard situation - much more sun! Hopefully soon enough so I can start preparing for the spring.

I've been encouraging everyone I know to grow something in their backyards and even some herbs inside if they don't have space. I found out that the best way to do this is to gift them something from your garden. Heirloom tomatoes, herbs, zucchinis, and etc.

We have been growing more Yellow and Orange Tomatoes the last several years. Sweeter and less acidic, and together with slices of red and mozzarella, they make a real pretty Capri Salad.

We have been growing more Yellow and Orange Tomatoes the last several years. Sweeter and less acidic, and together with slices of red and mozzarella, they make a real pretty Capri Salad.

Yeah, I'm thinking of trying one of a couple orange/yellow heirloom strains called Marizol Gold or Maylor Roth's Orange Brandywine. Both are supposed to grow up to 2 pounds and are delicious. Marizol Gold is supposed to be stunningly beautiful with yellow and red marbling and striping inside and out. The other varieties I'll be growing this year are Ashlegh, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Carbon (a dark brown tomato that is supposed to be one of the tastiest), and Estler's Mortgage Lifter. All but the Carbon variety grows in the 1-3 pound range, and are all very tasty tomatoes. I can't wait to get them potted in May! :)

I grew a Golden Girl (yellow) and a Big Rainbow (yellow with red stripes) last year. They were good, but not a favorite. Black Krim, Cherokee Purple were very good.

With a heavy heart, I've torn up about 40% of my beds, due to the desire to sell this accursed house I've inhabited for 16 years.

Not sure what I'll grow this year, if anything. Hate to take a sabbatical, but such is life.

Okay folks! Adding dirt to the raised beds and getting ready for some fresh vegetables. Got some plants and seeds today. Let the fun begin.

Last year's tomatoes ...

tomatoes-canned.jpg

This year's tomatoes ...

tomato-seeds.jpg

:D

Not safe to plant anything outside before Memorial Day up here in the Great White - even then I keep the frost covers ready. I usually get everything started in the mini greenhouse by the first of April, but stuff is growing faster now since I added bottom heat to the tables. Got the flats prepped yesterday, and all the 6-8 week seeds go in today.

PS ... one disadvantage of growing from seed. I ended up planting 6 trays of 36 cells. That's ... uh ... multiply by ... divide by pi ... mmmmm ... pi ... a lot of tomatoes!

Last edited:
I almost forgot about this thread! :confused: Here's a little up-to-date info about what's going on with my tomato plants...

Well, I planted more seeds for this year's garden. I didn't get the Marizol Gold or Maylor Roth's Orange Brandywine varieties I mentioned above (maybe next year), but I planted five varieties: Ashleigh, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Carbon, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and Estler's Mortgage Lifter. All but the Carbon variety grows in the 1-3 pound range, and are all supposed to be very tasty tomatoes. Particularly the carbon which is a brownish color and is supposed to be one of the best-tasting tomatoes you can grow. I am also looking forward to the Aunt Ruby's German Green because it's said to have a sweet, tangy, and spicy flavor! o_O Here's what each variety looks like...

Ashleigh:

17308969_290348921401348_1370300141981776744_n.jpg

Aunt Ruby's German Green:

17311130_290348984734675_5175117111395196440_o.jpg

Carbon:

17426238_290349014734672_770295884757798713_n.jpg

Crnkovic Yugoslavian:

17264148_290349084734665_8157115122415135466_n.jpg

Estler's Mortgage Lifter:

17457270_290349134734660_433056594195172274_n.jpg

Anyway, I started my seeds on the 22th of March and they broke out of the soil on the 26th - 3 1/2 days later! They've been growing quickly ever since, and just this past Thursday I repotted them into larger containers once their "true leaves" started to form. Here's some pics:

IMG_2655.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg

The crazy thing is that I buried the stems about 2-3 inches into the soil in those cups up to the leaves (which is what you're supposed to do), but they had already grown almost an inch only 10-11 hours after I repotted them when I took those photos! :confused: Just nuts! Well, now they are bigger still with more of their true leaves coming on, and just today I put them outside for the first time for about an hour or so. This is the first stage of the "hardening off" process. This is a necessary process that involves putting them outside for very short periods of time at the beginning, and gradually working up to longer periods with more direct light to get them acclimated to being outdoors and in full sunlight. However, you don't start them off in full sun though. You need to put them in the shade or indirect sunlight to start with or else the immature plants will get scorched. The other benefit to doing this is that the breeze wiggles the plants around and helps to toughen up the stalks and make them more sturdy, and it also stimulates growth as well. Today the conditions were perfect for them with a temperature of 19C/66F with overcast conditions (I just put them on my front porch), and little wind. You don't want to put them out in too much wind either or else you'll run the risk of breaking the weak stalks while they are still immature. Just a little does it. ;) Hoepfully I'll be potting them in the next 3 weeks or so, and then I'll be enjoying tomatoes by the end of July or August! :) I can't wait! :D

Last edited:
My Garlic is way ahead of schedule due to the warm winter, but all 100 heads are up and looking healthy.
Yesterday we planted the Potatoes and I hope to get all my Onion Sets today.
All out Tomatoes are up from seeds doing well under the grow lamps.
The Peppers are not doing so well again so we may need to buy a few to supplement.
I really need to get the main garden turned so we can start planting the Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Scallions, and Peas.

Sadly, I'm done gardening. My garden behind the garage is being seeded for a lawn once the new wood fence is in, since that garden was a total mildew disaster caused by the pond next door. The container garden was also an epic failure due to the rats eating anything that even just started turning red. (Just a faint change from unripe green, and they'd kill it.) And I still had leaf blight issues anyway. Short of doing hydroponic inside the house somewhere (which I have no room for), I'll have to wait until I get some acreage and can do something proper.

I put in 600 dollars worth of plants this past weekend. 6 varieties of tomatoes, 2 different yellow squashes & 2 different zucchinis. 4, 50 ft rows of bush beans, watermelons & cantaloupe. 3 types of cucumbers , 2, 20 ft rows of okra and last but not least about 6 or 30 pepper plant of various types. Forgot the potatoes 2 75 ft rows of russets, yukon gold & kennick whites. I sell to local restaurants that support area farmers.

I set out a few early ripening tomato plants about 10 days ago, which is about 3 weeks earlier than normal. So far they are growing well. In the meantime I have been searching local greenhouses for other varieties I want to grow and the selection has been disappointing. Out of desperation I went ahead and have bought some that I have grown and enjoyed from the past, Big Beef, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim and Pink Brandywine. They have been kept outside for over a week and are hardened off and ready to plant later this week.
I use a lot of Bunny Berries (rabbit manure), liquid fish emulsion and liquid kelp for nutrients.

I have been practicing No Till gardening the last 3 years and have what I feel is excellent results in my raised garden, plus it is easier. I try to add a good amount of organic material to the top of the soil that the worms love and let the worms do the work. It soil is far from perfect but is getting better every year. If I concentrate on taking care of the soil, the soil takes care of the plants. Anyways that's my plan.

We had 3 days of rain for 5" total, followed by a cold front that dropped the temp down to 35f this morning. Brought all the plants that weren't planted in last night, so no worries there. I have some tomatoes that are 15" tall in 30 gal. containers and I covered then and the 4 Big Jim pepper plants in a 30 gal container as best I could. I had 2 peppers that looked like they were damaged but after a few hours of sunshine perked right up, but I nearly lost them.

After giving the garden a couple of days to dry out a little, I finally began planting more tomatoes. I planted 15 (which makes 19 total). That leaves me room for 6 more plants, so tomorrow I will see if I can find some more I want to try this year. Selection at the local greenhouses is terrible this year. Today was an absolutely beautiful spring days with very little wind, bluebird skies and a high of 73f.

Once the rivers and lakes settle down after all the rain, it will be time to go fishing.

One of the benefits of Sacramento is that tomatoes have no issue getting ripe. Our house used to be owned by a Master Gardener. He put in some great beds and a drip system along with a potting shed with heat and a/c for starting seeds. He was a lot more serious than I am. We amend the beds, cover them with landscape fabric and mulch.

This year we put in a lot of tomatoes, early girls, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Brandywine, San Marzanos and three different cherry tomatoes. Also Some eggplants and cucumbers.

Last year was a bumper crop...hoping for the same this year.

I'm pulling up the collards and mustards today, the nights are staying above 60. They sure were tasty. I'm digging out part of it and refilling with a big batch of mulch. Over the summer I'll be collecting bags of bait (greenbacks/menhaden) with the castnet for a base for the new planting in the fall.

The pepper plants are doing great, but. I had my belly set on stuffed peppers, but the rats found them first. Luckily, a second flowering is happening and the store has plenty of rat eliminator.

Such is life in Zone 10b.

Back
Top Bottom