Anyone Else Have Trouble With JJ Tubes?

I had a JJ KT77 arc over in an APPJ amp. The amp hummed thereafter. I just ordered a JJ GZ34. The story is, it's a bit less 'sterile' than a Sovtek, whatever that means. At this price, nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Find an amp that uses 6L6s. :D

Actually, that's not really a joke. Given HOW MANY 6L6-based guitar amps there are, and probably always will be- and HOW MANY DIFFERENT manufacturers make them- it's unlikely that we will ever have a time, where there isn't at least one or two companies making good, high-quality 6L6s.

Regards,
Gordon.
You've had a couple min BT that were very tempting.

years ago I bought a JJ 5AR4 along with some other small items mostly because I needed to meet the minimum order requirement. I took one look at the pins, put it back in the box and forgot about it. This past weekend I was going through some tubes, came across it and just threw it in the trash.

Shuguang amp with JJ KT77's,,,should I worry?

In that amp, the power supply was of the switching type...it could have more robust. I'm not particularly worried about the JJ rectifier I have in my amp now. One reviewer who gigs with his guitar amp year round said he gets two years out of them, whereas Sovteks last 30 days tops. BS? Maybe. It seems there are just as many success stories as there are failures, and people no doubt shout loudest about dud tubes.

I've had a pair of JJ 2A3-40 for three years, still sounding and testing great, just like when I got them.

JJ’s 2A3’s and 300B’s seem to have a good reputation. I had JJ 300B’s running since around 2000, I finally just replaced them. One was beginning to make a bit of noise. After researching I replaced them with a new pair of JJ’s which are working just fine. There DHT’s have a good track record. The rectifier I chucked I would never plug into a socket, the blunt pins look like they would not be good being forced into a vintage socket.

I have a few JJs, a couple of KT77s, GZ34, and 5U4GB. Haven't used them a lot, maybe 100 hours on the GZ34 and a bit less on the KT77s. No problems and they sound fine. But not enough usage to form a strong opinion.

I just lost a JJ KT77 yesterday. I've had them in use for about two years. I probably averaged about two to three hours every other day. I've posted about how good they sounded in my ST70 in the past. But, I don't think I'll be buying a replacement JJ. They definitely should last longer. I gave them a try due to a lot I read about quality control had gotten better. After burn it the bias has stayed steady with them. Until one started flashing at the base and then the channel dropped out. Switching channels confirmed it was the one tube. I'm using a set of '88's while I order a set of Gold Lions. Its too bad since the JJ's do sound pretty darn good for the $$.

I did just wreck a JJ rectifier, but it was my own fault. I quick-cycled the amp, and it blew a fuse. Suspecting the GZ34, I swapped in an RCA 5V4GA fatboy I had in reserve. I won't do that again!
Still looking forward to getting a quintet of ECC803 JJs at some point.

Last edited:
Nope. I sell hundreds of them , one return(and i suspect the amp for the cause)
( it's actually 1022 by now )

Last edited:
I do really like their 6BQ5/EL84's.....I had one quad in an amp that I play constantly for about 4 years....the only reason they were replaced was because of the earthquake we had in Napa a few years ago and things from an overhead shelf crashed down and smashed them. I replaced with another quad and no issues. I do have a quad of E34L's in a Dynaco ST-70 that I am apprehensive about (although I hardly use it).

Hey guys,
I've been shopping for a used tube amp, and it seems like every time I find an amp I'm interested in, it's got those blasted JJ tubes in it. So far, I've passed up a beautiful Cary, Conrad-Johnson, and ARC amp, all because they have JJ tubes in them, and the price wouldn't support throwing them in the garbage (the tubes, not the amp) and re-tubing with real tubes.

Why all this animosity you ask? Maybe I'm unlucky, but so far, literally every single JJ tube I've bought has failed in very short order, some dangerously. I can remember a lovely Marshall clone guitar amp whose front end was destroyed when a preamp tube randomly shorted out. I've lost countless power amp tubes (6L6, EL84 and EL34) in hifi amps, guitar amps, and PA amps. It seems to be the same phenomenon. Preamp tubes will be fine for days (usually last under a week) and then suddenly POP! Followed by a loud buzz and it goes dark. Like a light bulb that burned out. Usually if I look close I can even see burn marks on the glass. This on several amps.

The power tubes seem to be less violent, just very short lived, won't hold bias, get noisy, etc. I had a pair fail in a completely perfect Marshall JCM 800 in under 3 days, while a set of Siemens (beautiful tubes) lasted for years. Same with a neat old Knight hi-fi amp I used to have.

So my question is this: am I unlucky, or are JJ tubes just crap? I've noticed they're extremely cheap to buy, and figure there must be a reason for that. I guess I'm just used to buying quality tubes and having them last for years, so I have no tolerance for early failure.

I'm frustrated by how many sellers seem to throw them in an amp just to sell it, and advertise "New Tubes". They don't tell you that the tubes are basically garbage. I'm really looking for a tube amp that actually shows some pride of ownership.

Anyway, rant over..LOL. Guess my gripes are two fold tonight- cheap tubes, and their proliferation among amps for sale. Guess the seller's keeping the good tubes for himself!

-Jon
Hey guys,
I've been shopping for a used tube amp, and it seems like every time I find an amp I'm interested in, it's got those blasted JJ tubes in it. So far, I've passed up a beautiful Cary, Conrad-Johnson, and ARC amp, all because they have JJ tubes in them, and the price wouldn't support throwing them in the garbage (the tubes, not the amp) and re-tubing with real tubes.

Why all this animosity you ask? Maybe I'm unlucky, but so far, literally every single JJ tube I've bought has failed in very short order, some dangerously. I can remember a lovely Marshall clone guitar amp whose front end was destroyed when a preamp tube randomly shorted out. I've lost countless power amp tubes (6L6, EL84 and EL34) in hifi amps, guitar amps, and PA amps. It seems to be the same phenomenon. Preamp tubes will be fine for days (usually last under a week) and then suddenly POP! Followed by a loud buzz and it goes dark. Like a light bulb that burned out. Usually if I look close I can even see burn marks on the glass. This on several amps.

The power tubes seem to be less violent, just very short lived, won't hold bias, get noisy, etc. I had a pair fail in a completely perfect Marshall JCM 800 in under 3 days, while a set of Siemens (beautiful tubes) lasted for years. Same with a neat old Knight hi-fi amp I used to have.

So my question is this: am I unlucky, or are JJ tubes just crap? I've noticed they're extremely cheap to buy, and figure there must be a reason for that. I guess I'm just used to buying quality tubes and having them last for years, so I have no tolerance for early failure.

I'm frustrated by how many sellers seem to throw them in an amp just to sell it, and advertise "New Tubes". They don't tell you that the tubes are basically garbage. I'm really looking for a tube amp that actually shows some pride of ownership.

Anyway, rant over..LOL. Guess my gripes are two fold tonight- cheap tubes, and their proliferation among amps for sale. Guess the seller's keeping the good tubes for himself!

-Jon

Here's my experience with JJ EL34's and 6CA7's. I have found some EL34's which would go completely dead after a period of time and will not even read anything on a tube tester. In order to understand why this happened, all I had to do was look inside the tube near the pin connections a see that the lead from the cathode to the pin was broken. On one tube it was the weld to the pin, on the other tube it was the weld to the cathode. In either case, the tube will not pass any current. The reason these connections broke in the first place is that the little "ribbon" from the pin to the cathode was perfectly straight and probably had some tension on it so when it heated up or was stressed even the slightest bit, it popped loose. This is strictly a quality control problem within the JJ plant where these are made and has nothing to do with the vendor I bought them from.The ribbon lead should have a little slack or small bend in it to allow for some movement. Otherwise, these tubes worked just fine until the failure. I tried to get the attention of the supplier (antique electronic supply) to make them aware of the obvious quality control problem so they could complain to the JJ distributor, but this fell on deaf ears.

I had a JJ 6CA7 do exactly the same thing. This tube was part of a matched quad I installed in my CJ MV50. So this wiped out the use of an otherwise good set of tubes and now I have a good pair and a "widow". I did replace all 4 with a new quad of JJ 6CA7's, so good so far after 2 years. These tubes sound great as long as they don't fail mechanically. I have had great success with JJ 6L6's, I must have over 60 of these in various amplifiers. The max voltage on any given pair might be around 500V in a blackface Bassman head. I have also run a cross 3 or 4 6V6's which would not read anything on my tube tester. These had another interesting quality control problem ... there was no thorium coating on the cathodes hence no emission either. I wonder how the hell these even made it out of the factory????

Lowtone

Here's my experience with JJ EL34's and 6CA7's. I have found some EL34's which would go completely dead after a period of time and will not even read anything on a tube tester. In order to understand why this happened, all I had to do was look inside the tube near the pin connections a see that the lead from the cathode to the pin was broken. On one tube it was the weld to the pin, on the other tube it was the weld to the cathode. In either case, the tube will not pass any current. The reason these connections broke in the first place is that the little "ribbon" from the pin to the cathode was perfectly straight and probably had some tension on it so when it heated up or was stressed even the slightest bit, it popped loose. This is strictly a quality control problem within the JJ plant where these are made and has nothing to do with the vendor I bought them from.The ribbon lead should have a little slack or small bend in it to allow for some movement. Otherwise, these tubes worked just fine until the failure. I tried to get the attention of the supplier (antique electronic supply) to make them aware of the obvious quality control problem so they could complain to the JJ distributor, but this fell on deaf ears.

I had a JJ 6CA7 do exactly the same thing. This tube was part of a matched quad I installed in my CJ MV50. So this wiped out the use of an otherwise good set of tubes and now I have a good pair and a "widow". I did replace all 4 with a new quad of JJ 6CA7's, so good so far after 2 years. These tubes sound great as long as they don't fail mechanically. I have had great success with JJ 6L6's, I must have over 60 of these in various amplifiers. The max voltage on any given pair might be around 500V in a blackface Bassman head. I have also run a cross 3 or 4 6V6's which would not read anything on my tube tester. These had another interesting quality control problem ... there was no thorium coating on the cathodes hence no emission either. I wonder how the hell these even made it out of the factory????

Lowtone

I guess that the vendor will replace those tubes ?

Four years since I posted in this thread and JJ 7591 that Audio Classics installed still going strong in MAC1500. The trouble with the EH 7591 is that they are too tall to clear the cabinet.

I do really like their 6BQ5/EL84's.....I had one quad in an amp that I play constantly for about 4 years....the only reason they were replaced was because of the earthquake we had in Napa a few years ago and things from an overhead shelf crashed down and smashed them. I replaced with another quad and no issues. I do have a quad of E34L's in a Dynaco ST-70 that I am apprehensive about (although I hardly use it).

I think you are supposed to use Reflektor 6p14p's in that particular application. From what I have heard, the stuff on the shelf would not have stood a chance!

Four years since I posted in this thread and JJ 7591 that Audio Classics installed still going strong in MAC1500. The trouble with the EH 7591 is that they are too tall to clear the cabinet.
Do you know about the newer Tung-sung 7591? They are pretty much an exact copy of the old production tubes. I had JJ 7591 before and they sounded pretty good. I liked the blue lights that would dance to the music.

Do you know about the newer Tung-sung 7591? They are pretty much an exact copy of the old production tubes. I had JJ 7591 before and they sounded pretty good. I liked the blue lights that would dance to the music.

No but I have a set like this on hand. :) (Can't bring myself to actually use them.)

mcy7591.JPG

Back
Top Bottom