anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

Always expect the Spanish Inquisition and Empire Randomnesses when it comes to model naming / body colors / fonts.
The story goes that Empire was rapidly going downhill in the late '70s before the sale to E. Benz in 1980, so expect fear, uncertainty, doubt and random money-saving dodges.

Another way to tell a Z clone is body inductance and/or resistance, but this assumes sellers have the ability to measure such things.

Thanks rread13! I bought it...could not pass it up at that price. Looks to have the silver 239-DET (that alone is now $39 on VoM...while still available), so a real bargain compared to most 2000Zs that I have seen listed. I currently have only one original 2000Z body...will be great to have the 2008 as a backup. And I have had an issue with the tightness of the 2000Z body so will be good to compare to the 2008.
I did not know that the 2008 is a 2000Z clone until your post. I'm still trying to read through this whole thread...so much information...I keep jumping around from one topic to another. After your post I did find the list of 2000Z clones provided by wualta in post 1696...great information that I had not seen before! You are all so helpful...much appreciated!
Rob
If you make a manual photo 2008 and post it here, many will be grateful.

It will be interesting to see if what comes with your 2008 differs from this, which comes from the socalled Studio Series specs:
Empire 2008 Studio Series specs.jpg

Always expect the Spanish Inquisition and Empire Randomnesses when it comes to model naming / body colors / fonts.
The story goes that Empire was rapidly going downhill in the late '70s before the sale to E. Benz in 1980, so expect fear, uncertainty, doubt and random money-saving dodges.

Another way to tell a Z clone is body inductance and/or resistance, but this assumes sellers have the ability to measure such things.
Any search for Empire tends to bring up random Star Wars references, and you Empire veterans have probably heard this before, but some of the Star Wars movie titles are rather appropriate such as "The Empire Strikes Back" (released in 1980, same year Empire was sold to Benz; suspect some of Benz folks had this thought when looking at the Empire books), and "Attack of the Clones" (obvious reference to 2000Z clones and general Empire Randomnesses). Sorry, it's a slow day here in Atlanta...
Rob

Well, I found the missing clone but, though the photo clearly shows a cartridge with blue lettering, like the 2000T and its clones, and a silver S915E installed, TTN and LPGear think it's a 2000X clone which takes the metallic red S917E stylus (the 2000X and all of its clones have bodies with red lettering AFAIK) so this one needs a footnote.

Anyway, it's a 2000PE and here's a wualta-massaged photo.

Empire 2000PE-2.jpg

And another showing the stylus more clearly

Empire 2000PE.jpg

Last edited:
Awrk! it's not showing up. I must've massaged it down to a nubbin. Here it is:
1a.jpg
Not sure if the body is goldish or merely a brushed-silver body photographed under incandescent light. I suspect the latter, so I've edited even further and made it look that way.

Last edited:
Awrk! it's not showing up. I must've massaged it down to a nubbin. Here it is:
View attachment 1092897
Not sure if the body is goldish or merely a brushed-silver body photographed under incandescent light. I suspect the latter.

So do I. Can't figure out why that photo isn't showing up. I can see it. But then I can see dead people.

John

I don't have information on this one, but it might be a 2000E clone. The only way to be sure would be to measure the resistance of the coils across the terminal pins. ~1000 ohms would indicate my guess is correct.

Thanks rread13! I bought it...could not pass it up at that price. Looks to have the silver 239-DET (that alone is now $39 on VoM...while still available), so a real bargain compared to most 2000Zs that I have seen listed. I currently have only one original 2000Z body...will be great to have the 2008 as a backup. And I have had an issue with the tightness of the 2000Z body so will be good to compare to the 2008.
I did not know that the 2008 is a 2000Z clone until your post. I'm still trying to read through this whole thread...so much information...I keep jumping around from one topic to another. After your post I did find the list of 2000Z clones provided by wualta in post 1696...great information that I had not seen before! You are all so helpful...much appreciated!
Rob

Glad another AKer was paying attention and scooped this one up! I'm a little bit jealous your is coming with the original case and accessories. Mine was in mint condition, looked un-used, missing the case. But finding a complete NEW 2000Z (sans the stylus), wooden box with acrylic lid, bag of accessories, screw driver and manual for under a $100 made up for it!

I can see the pictures of the 2000PE in all posts. And I've never seen one before in real life OR in pictures.

:D

Doug

The photo finally arrived here on our planet. I think AT&T had to bounce that one off the moon to keep it away from spies.

Back
Top Bottom