Anyone enjoy smoking a pipe here!

Pioneered

I know I ran into one fella here that smokes,collects pipes and tobacco and I was just wondering if anyone else enjoyed a pipe from time to time or just collected them.
I've use to be a cigarette smoker, for almost 45 years when one day I just refused to pay the $175 a month to support it anymore and went to pipes. Now I spend maybe $10 a month on tobacco and smoke much less.
I've been smoking a pipe now for about 14 years and within that time also collected many pipes and cellared much tobacco. Also along with collecting pipes, vintage estates and new I took up pipe carving/making and did very well with it. But, after my move to Utah I'm left without a shop or even a place to put one because the size of the property I,m on. So, most all my tooling lies in a storage unit patiently waiting for the time I move into something with more property to accompany a shop.
Here are a few of the pipes I've made in the past.
Would like to hear from anyone who has smoked a pipe in the past, still does or who is even just thought about it.
CMA: I'm not here to promote the use of tobacco to anyone, I know in some circles it is looked down on but, so is drinking of alcohol. Just would like to find others who have the same interests as myself......that is all.
Thank you for understanding.

74-1.JPG 75-3.3.JPG 30.JPG 18th-3.JPG 40-1.JPG 54-4.JPG

I have my late father's meerschaum (and others) pipe collection - 1 or 200 or so. Smoking got to me in the form of triple bypass surgery in 2005, so I gave up on smoking.

Might light one up some day for old time's sake. He used to mix Half & Half with Sugar Barrel. I can still smell it.

Last edited:
I have my late father's meerschaum (and others) pipe collection - 1 or 200 or so. Smoking got to me in the form of triple bypass surgery in 2005, so I gave up on smoking.
Might light one up some day for old time's sake. He used to mix Half & Half with Sugar Barrel. I can still smell it.

Sorry to hear about the bypass sir but, glad you made it through it. Since taking up a pipe I have dropped my intake of tobacco per say, only smoke about 3 or 4 bowls a day which aren't even full ones compared to the pack and a half of cigs I use to and just having a physical I was told I have 98% lung capacity still so that's a plus.
My collection of pipes is a bit more then your normal Joe pipe smoker having around 425 to date. Mostly estates with maybe about 10% of them new. I'd have less if I could decide
which I like the best between, Vintage, antique, makers or shape. I just like them all.
Ya can't even get Sugar Barrel anymore, of course there is another manufacturer that has either taken it over or tried to make a comparable but, it's just not the same.

Smoled pipe from the mid 1960s to 2005. Enjoyed it immemsely but quit while I was ahead for heart surgery.
I completely understand sir, some are just smarter, while I just enjoy it too much to give up just yet.

I enjoy my pipe on occasion.

If your like me, it's the only time I can really relax and reflect on the day and with a good cup of Joe next to me or Iced Tea.
What makers or shapes do you prefer and what do you like Aro's, English blends, etc?

I know I ran into one fella here that smokes,collects pipes and tobacco and I was just wondering if anyone else enjoyed a pipe from time to time or just collected them.
I've use to be a cigarette smoker, for almost 45 years when one day I just refused to pay the $175 a month to support it anymore and went to pipes. Now I spend maybe $10 a month on tobacco and smoke much less.
I've been smoking a pipe now for about 14 years and within that time also collected many pipes and cellared much tobacco. Also along with collecting pipes, vintage estates and new I took up pipe carving/making and did very well with it. But, after my move to Utah I'm left without a shop or even a place to put one because the size of the property I,m on. So, most all my tooling lies in a storage unit patiently waiting for the time I move into something with more property to accompany a shop.
Here are a few of the pipes I've made in the past.
Would like to hear from anyone who has smoked a pipe in the past, still does or who is even just thought about it.
CMA: I'm not here to promote the use of tobacco to anyone, I know in some circles it is looked down on but, so is drinking of alcohol. Just would like to find others who have the same interests as myself......that is all.
Thank you for understanding.

View attachment 1170241 View attachment 1170242 View attachment 1170255 View attachment 1170245 View attachment 1170247 View attachment 1170250
Jeannie's Pipe Shop (Jeannie Klc) got my business in SLC for decades, Also Freddy Cvar (childhood friend) had a smoke shop in Fashion Place mall in the 1970s.

Ah, the days of the brick and mortar, I use to frequent a little place called Canyon Smoke and a Tinderbox in my area.
You could always sample at them and the smelled just wonderful from all the aromatics and other tobaccos in stock. Nowadays there not many left
and they never seem to be near me, so like a lot I've turned to the internet to purchase pipes, tobacco and the needed accessories.
Of course I can't smoke the ones I make, I can't afford it. laugh.gif

Freddy had The Tinderbox in Fashion Place mall, iirc.
Is Jeannie's on State gone?

Jeanie's is still there and there's a Tinderbox around there also but, the ones I visited regularly where I was before are gone and I have heard from others the same thing in there areas.
Oh, there are a few out there still but, not as many, most sell glass pipes and garbage nowadays.
There virtually none in my area except the ones that sell vap and glass pipes.
In fact I just read that Utah has made it Illegal to sell Pipe Tobacco for what that's worth.
No, not going to delve any deeper into that, we don't do the "P" word.

Jeanie's is still there and there's a Tinderbox around there also but, the ones I visited regularly where I was before are gone and I have heard from others the same thing in there areas.
Oh, there are a few out there still but, not as many, most sell glass pipes and garbage nowadays.
In fact I just read that Utah has made it Illegal to sell Pipe Tobacco for what that's worth.
Wierd.
One of Jeannie's specialties was custom pipe blends.
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=50990600&itype=CMSID

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/pipe-tobacco-illegal-in-utah-now/

I have a few pipes, but rarely smoke a bowl. I seems to enjoy cigars more. But the smell of a good aromatic is intoxicating.

I have a few pipes, but rarely smoke a bowl. I seems to enjoy cigars more. But the smell of a good aromatic is intoxicating.

Smoked cigars when I was younger but, never really took to them, a pipe on the other hand I enjoy a lot.
Heck, If we all smoked pipes that what be interesting at all.

Back
Top Bottom