Anyone ever modded a AT95e stylus to fit a AT3600l?

cafe latte

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just wondered as it seems the AT3600l has a laminated pole and is very similar to the AT95e, just plastic insert is different. I have a few AT95e stylus with lovely tips but just dont like the massive glob of glue seriously increasing the moving mass. I think I can address the glue and reduce it to be acceptable. I prefer the AT3600l sound very curious how the AT95e stylus will sound on that body wondered if it has been done before.
Chris

With enough modification anything is possible, but although you can get an AT95E stylus to fit on an AT3600 cartridge, it doesn't work -- you can hear the "needle talk" directly from the stylus, but no audio comes through the cartridge.

With enough modification anything is possible, but although you can get an AT95E stylus to fit on an AT3600 cartridge, it doesn't work -- you can hear the "needle talk" directly from the stylus, but no audio comes through the cartridge.
If you just push it on yes, but some filing would be needed to get the AT95e ro sit in position, just wondered if worth the trouble..
Chris

Obviously not worth it in monetary terms but if you're only interested in the challenge.....give it a burl.
I'm sure that if you do you will keep us advised.

Why would you even try. Both cartridges can be had brand new for small money.
Well, if you bothered to try you could fit one the new AT-VMN95 MicroLine or Shibata stylii onto the AT3600 body, giving you a genuine AT upgrade. Some people have expressed a preference for the AT3600 over the AT95.

Why would you even try. Both cartridges can be had brand new for small money.
I have both and the AT3600l sounds a lot better than the AT95e. I have a lot of carts including some MC over 1.5k and I still rate the 11 dollar at3600l. I am convinced the CF cantilever is part of the goodness of it and I have a 0.3x0.7 CF cantilever elliptical for the AT3600l which sounds great too so not curious how the 0.3x 0.7 aluminium cantilever would sound and I have 3 AT95e stylus so wondered if anyone had tried making this fit.
Chris

Well, if you bothered to try you could fit one the new AT-VMN95 MicroLine or Shibata stylii onto the AT3600 body, giving you a genuine AT upgrade. Some people have expressed a preference for the AT3600 over the AT95.
Yep I am one who prefers the AT3600l if the AT95e works modding a micro line or shibata would be interesting IMO.
Chris

As I am ordering another one of the AT3600L cartridges, one currently on a JVC QL A5 and the other TT is a Pioneer Pl15R that has the original Shure M70B installed. With so many variations in stylus and any number of cartridge options - AT95E, AT440, Shure M75/M95ED/HE, Vessel A3Se, Ortofon OM20/2M Blue, Sumiko Pearl, Nagaoka MP110 to name a few would I be better served to simply upgrade the Shure M70B and AT3660L? That 211 -DHE hyper elliptical looks promising.

Each cartridge has it's own strength and weakness which, depending on one's musical tastes could be a positive or negative experience, plus the turntable being used - talk about a bit complicated! I just want to go with something well balanced, open and detailed but somewhat on the "warm" side. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction - updating what i have seems like a good start, such as maybe an N70EJ stylus to start out unless i would be better served by spending more - mindful of budget constraints of around 100 - 125.00 Cdn.

Last edited:
I can't fit any of my trimmed 95 based needles into the 3600 body....the posts are too tall, thin and narrow for the needle to seat securely. If you can find an aftermarket needle that uses a set screw instead of a split pin to secure the suspension shaft, you may be able to fit in a different needle that way. If the dimples in the shaft don't line up with the screws you'll be SOL. Tried it once and the result....although it produced sound...wasn't as good as it should've been. The problem is with ensuring the suspension donut is fully seated against the backing plate...this is critical to proper functioning of the suspension.

I can't fit any of my trimmed 95 based needles into the 3600 body....the posts are too tall, thin and narrow for the needle to seat securely. If you can find an aftermarket needle that uses a set screw instead of a split pin to secure the suspension shaft, you may be able to fit in a different needle that way. If the dimples in the shaft don't line up with the screws you'll be SOL. Tried it once and the result....although it produced sound...wasn't as good as it should've been. The problem is with ensuring the suspension donut is fully seated against the backing plate...this is critical to proper functioning of the suspension.
Yes I realise the post would need reducing both in height and depth to get it to seat correctly. I have though about buying a vivid line to see how that sounds but just got curious about making a AT95e stylus fit. It will be a shame to trim it up if it does not work though as the tips on my spares are very good indeed.
Chris

Could you do a cantilever transplant? I'd expect several others to suggest that too, including the Stein of Needles (Iknow he isn't here), Gusten and maybe even Lini/Manfred.

Could you do a cantilever transplant? I'd expect several others to suggest that too, including the Stein of Needles (Iknow he isn't here), Gusten and maybe even Lini/Manfred.
I can do a transplant myself, been experimenting for a while now, did a cantilever transplant recently on an Ortofon VMS 30. Problem is the AT3600l is a CF cantilever and the AT95e is a thin aluminium tube so this would make the swap quite hard to do. Only way would be to use a AT91 stylus as a donor and retip that.
Chris

I can do a transplant myself, been experimenting for a while now, did a cantilever transplant recently on an Ortofon VMS 30. Problem is the AT3600l is a CF cantilever and the AT95e is a thin aluminium tube so this would make the swap quite hard to do. Only way would be to use a AT91 stylus as a donor and retip that.
Chris

Chris,

I actually had in mind to replace the entire stylus assembly including the magnets, damper ring and monofilament tie, moving all from one plastic mounting handle to the other, rather than doing a cantilever graft. I know that the plastic handle of the AT91/3600 does not use the compliance adjustment screw while many others do, but I thought a person might be able to devise a plan, maybe using an old AT91 stylus, to tap that small area to accept the compliance screw, thereby making it possible to transplant almost any other AT stylus into the AT91 handle.

Chris,

I actually had in mind to replace the entire stylus assembly including the magnets, damper ring and monofilament tie, moving all from one plastic mounting handle to the other, rather than doing a cantilever graft. I know that the plastic handle of the AT91/3600 does not use the compliance adjustment screw while many others do, but I thought a person might be able to devise a plan, maybe using an old AT91 stylus, to tap that small area to accept the compliance screw, thereby making it possible to transplant almost any other AT stylus into the AT91 handle.
Good idea will have a look tonight if it is doable.
Thanks
Chris

Chris,

It is very doable just need to get out the c pin. I am busy over the next few days but a screw type extractor might do the job and then ai could just swap stylus over.
Chris

I bought the HyperElliptical (and the .3 x .7 Elliptical) from TTN for my 30-year-old AT3601, but I haven't used them yet as I need to get a low-slung counterweight for my RB300, which is sitting on the subs bench whilst my Audio Origami-flavoured RB250 takes centre stage. I might also buy the carbon-fibre Elliptical and the VividLine from LPGear.

A Paratrace version would the ultimate goal - there's a guy in the UK "makes" Paratrace ATN95s so it'd be interesting to see if he'd try for a ATN3600 version.

Chris,

There's an ATN91R stylus available, it has a red plastic assembly and an aluminium cantilever. Does that one not use a compliance adjustment screw?

AVimg_22857.jpg

There's an ATN91R stylus available, it has a red plastic assembly and an aluminium cantilever. Does that one not use a compliance adjustment screw?

AVimg_22857.jpg
At this price level, it has been my experience that AT doesn't use a set screw. Not all aftermarket ones do, either.

Back
Top Bottom