Anyone familiar with Jose Ramirez 1A classical guitars

kaplang

Works for me !
Hello all,

I have some questions about the 1974 Jose Ramirez 1As

Top, cedar or spruce?
french polished or not. If not what is the finish?
Assembled using Hyde glue or something else?

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Thanks,
George

Most info on the web says cedar. At that price I'd expect French polish, and hide glue too.

Take my info with a grain of salt; the top on my '67 Yamaha is pine, of all things.

Last edited:
Most info on the web says cedar. At that price I'd expect French polish, and hide glue too.

Take my info with a grain of salt; the top on my '67 Yamaha is pine, of all things.

Thanks Tumbleweed.
Based on my research I think your right about the cedar top and hide glue but Jose Ramirez III was not a fan of Frence polish. He claimed It was not resilant enough. I'm still trying to find what finish was used and am leaning towards an oil based varnish.
Monday I will be calling a major Rameriz dealer in the USA to speak with one of their lutherers who is suppose to be familiar with Ramirez vintage guitars.

Last edited:
note the link said only the sides and back were catalyzed urethane varnish, no mention of the front finish.

983 Jose Ramirez III 1a (Spain) No. 16997, 664 mm scale, 54 mm nut, cedar top, Indian rosewood sides and back (sides laminated with Spanish cypress), original catalyzed urethane varnish, Gold plated engraved Fustero tuning machines. Near mint condition, there is one repaired hairline crack several inches long on the lower back. Action is very good measuring 3mm on the treble and 4.5 mm on the bass side at the 12th fret. In our opinion, this instrument was probably made a bit earlier than the stated date of 1983 on the label, based on several features: The neck is the older style hand cut neck and head rather than the CNC machined versions that appeared later and are used by the shop today. The finish is the good version of the catalyzed urethane as sprayed in the Ramirez shop itself, as opposed to the sprayed finishes done elsewhere for them under contract. And the sides are lined with Spanish cypress which they began to phase out in the early 1980’s in favor of maple. Also the Fustero machines are the older version used in the 1970’s with hand engraved plates and more delicate worm tabs. By the early 1980’s much of the inventory in the Ramirez shop was beginning to back up due to declining sales, so instruments that had been completed years before were not actually labeled and numbered until they were actually sent out to dealers. So we suspect this instrument was actually made closer to the late 1970’s based on these and several other details observed in the guitar. As for the instrument musically, it is a very fine example of the classic Ramirez 1a with brilliant trebles, thunderous basses and that patented Spanish “Madrid” sound which just sings forever and is seducing to listen to. These instruments are never boring, and while the scales are not for everyone, the sound is something audiences respond to. $5,000

Back
Top Bottom