Anyone heard of Red Dragon Audio?

HiFiJeff

I have read some pretty legit reviews on this company. I actually had a conversation with the owner Ryan just yesterday and I am very interested in what he offers. In specific the Red Dragon M500 MkII Monoblocks. Here is a link. Anyone on this forum have any experience with them?

In my research they are notorious for being one of the first Class D monoblocks to do it "right"

If I remember correct they are the b&o icepower class D chips which are excellent. They are solid into low impedence loads and have immense current. no harshness most people attribute to class D

if you need the power I doubt you'll get get a better deal as they are very impressive for the price. most people are just afraid of the class D part

I'm fortunate I have the space and laxless towards power consumption to use a giant krell- put me back in a smaller apartment and at least for a summer setup I would run class D 100% with either nuforce or red dragon monos

In my research they are notorious for being one of the first Class D monoblocks to do it "right"

If I remember correct they are the b&o icepower class D chips which are excellent. They are solid into low impedence loads and have immense current. no harshness most people attribute to class D

if you need the power I doubt you'll get get a better deal as they are very impressive for the price. most people are just afraid of the class D part

I'm fortunate I have the space and laxless towards power consumption to use a giant krell- put me back in a smaller apartment and at least for a summer setup I would run class D 100% with either nuforce or red dragon monos

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have looked at Nuforce as well. I am really leaning towards Red Dragon. I wonder what sonic difference I will get with the monoblocks compared to my current 5 channel Outlaw Audio Model 5000 amp. They will be powering Tekton Pendragon L/R/C.

red_dragon_12_e34276ae-1327-444a-8904-5820674ccaec_grande.jpg
s500_rear_grande.png

The Red Dragon amps look great and from the reviews and owners comments I'm sure they are. If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted an integrated I would have seriously considered them. I'm three days in with a new class-D amp, my first; the NuPrime IDA-16.

Since it's only been three days I won't go into too much detail (I'm sure it has more settling in to do). as nyhifihead mentioned I was a bit leery about class-D but this NuPrime amp has changed my mind.

I just want to mention that, HiFiJeff. I wish I could give you thoughts on the Red Dragon amps but if I were you I would strongly consider trying Red Dragon or other class-D amps. From what I have heard the last few days class-D can sound fantastic.

Cheers,

Scott

The Red Dragon amps look great and from the reviews and owners comments I'm sure they are. If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted an integrated I would have seriously considered them. I'm three days in with a new class-D amp, my first; the NuPrime IDA-16.

Since it's only been three days I won't go into too much detail (I'm sure it has more settling in to do). as nyhifihead mentioned I was a bit leery about class-D but this NuPrime amp has changed my mind.

I just want to mention that, HiFiJeff. I wish I could give you thoughts on the Red Dragon amps but if I were you I would strongly consider trying Red Dragon or other class-D amps. From what I have heard the last few days class-D can sound fantastic.

Cheers,

Scott

Thinking about it. I love my Outlaw Model 5000 amp but am seriously considering the Red Dragon's.

wonder how they compare to the crown xls series (1500, 2000 etc.)?

From what I've read about Red Dragon I don't think it is even close. Completely different league than the Crowns. I know they were/are the goto amps for Spatial Audio at shows for a long while. Plenty of reviews out there of them.

- Woody

Yes the PS makes all the difference with class D. I've had fun powering the cheap boards from China with massive regulated iron. Class D amps can also benefit from a tube preamp.

Yes the PS makes all the difference with class D. I've had fun powering the cheap boards from China with massive regulated iron. Class D amps can also benefit from a tube preamp.

Hey Poultrygeist. You are the one who turned me on to class D amplification awhile back. I had Derek over at Fleawatt build me one a couple of years ago and was amazed by what I heard out of such an inexpensive package.

Hey Poultrygeist. You are the one who turned me on to class D amplification awhile back. I had Derek over at Fleawatt build me one a couple of years ago and was amazed by what I heard out of such an inexpensive package.

Jeff, I'm glad that Fleawatt TPA worked for you. I love Derek's builds. It truly is amazing how good those inexpensive boards sound.

I know my Volt+ ( with Astron regulated psu on bottom ) is funky looking but I'd love to see how it compares to something like the Red Dragon.

PA250049%201.jpg

I've not heard a class D amp that didn't sound better with a tube preamp. Here's the front of the Volt+. It's a class D board amp made by a company in India and it comes one way and that's highly modded. They sent me one free in exchange for a review which I did on Audio Circle. Wonderful sounding TPA3118.

PA280029.jpg

Back
Top Bottom