Anyone heard the new Reference Premier line?

crouse

Poorly known member
Subscriber
I was wondering if anyone has feedback on this new line. I'm especially curious about differences due to the new tweeter horn.
Thanks

I'd wonder the same thing. Most information comes from vintage or the current Heritage line. Not too much for the RP/RF II line.

I can't compare old vs. new, but I can tell you the new ones sound fantastic.

I have the RB-160M, which are their large "bookshelf" speakers:
RP-160M-Angle-Ebony_635544918746032000_large.jpg

Here's Klipsch's official specs on the differences

Prior to having these, I had a pair of Bose 201, Series II and a Sony 100 W subwoofer. After getting these and hooking them up and doing some comparison listening with and without the sub, I decided to just put the sub away and use these alone.

Needless to say, the mids and highs also blow away the Bose. 301s would have been a fairer comparison, at least bass-wise.

<snip>

Needless to say, the mids and highs also blow away the Bose. 301s would have been a fairer comparison, at least bass-wise.

I had 301, now have the RB35. To me, there is no need to AB the 2.

IMHO, if there is an improvement over the RB series, then they are worth a try.

I had some La Scalas and, in a fit of idiocy, sold them. I now have some Spendor SP 1/2's, which are great speakers, but I miss huge dynamics of the LS. I sold the LS because of some harshness/ringing in the lower treble and upper mids. I was hoping I could find something with typical Klipsch dynamics but without the harshness and ringing. So, that's where the question is coming from.

I had some La Scalas and, in a fit of idiocy, sold them. I now have some Spendor SP 1/2's, which are great speakers, but I miss huge dynamics of the LS. I sold the LS because of some harshness/ringing in the lower treble and upper mids. I was hoping I could find something with typical Klipsch dynamics but without the harshness and ringing. So, that's where the question is coming from.

I haven't heard the new ones yet, and actually will be hearing my first La Scalas on Thursday...however, if I had to guess, these speakers probably sound significantly different. The La Scala has the very large mid horn, whereas the reference series uses the tractrix high to cover down to about 1200hz. Two vs. 3 way should sound different.

I spent about an hour and half listening to the RP 280F along with another set of speakers. I think they are fantastic speakers and at $1200/pr they are a good value. The rubber material around the new horn works very well. They are forward and lively but have great bass and sound balanced. Ultimately I prefer the mids to be a bit smoother/refined, a bit more fleshed out but all in all they are great speakers. I hope you get a chance to hear them.

Cheers,

Scott

No, not harsh. For me they were a bit bright and highlight the mids and highs. Which gives them that wonderful Klipsch immediacy that I like. The amp used was an Anthem 225 wth a Cambridge cdp. My old ears were beat up by a bunch of concerts many years ago and I need a bit mellower upper mid and top end. Other people may not find the RP 280 bright at all.

Again, I feel they are very balanced, sound big and bold and present all the music. Anyone looking for a large floorstander under $2k should definitely give them a listen.

I also have the RP-160M Bookshelf speakers, which I bought on sale after Steve Guttenberg wrote in his review of the Klipschs about being happy powering the RP-150M with the 1 watt microZOTL2, which is what I currently have as an amp. I'm in a not very large apartment with thin walls, if I want to blast music I do it with headphones, so the speakers have been completely satisfying to me at the volumes I listen, and even the bass manages to thump a bit. Eventually I'll borrow an actual speaker amp and see what they can really do, and I'll probably be even more impressed.

crouse, just a heads up. Klipsch has the RP280 on sale for $838/pr. I thought they were a good value at $1200 but, wow, $838 is an outstanding deal. I don't need speakers but if I had the cash and the room I think I'd pick a pair up for that price.

Cheers,

I actually just purchased a set of RP-280f. I will be doing a comparison against my Quartets and Heresy III. I'm going to give my impressions on their sound after they get a chance to play and break in, since I know there isn't much information on them yet.

I can't compare old vs. new, but I can tell you the new ones sound fantastic.

I have the RB-160M, which are their large "bookshelf" speakers:
RP-160M-Angle-Ebony_635544918746032000_large.jpg

Here's Klipsch's official specs on the differences

Prior to having these, I had a pair of Bose 201, Series II and a Sony 100 W subwoofer. After getting these and hooking them up and doing some comparison listening with and without the sub, I decided to just put the sub away and use these alone.

I have heard so many good things about these RB-160M speakers. Now that you have had them for a bit, and more extensively listened to them, are you still satisfied? I am doing a lot a re-arranging and may replace my Polk Monitor 7s with a set of smaller speakers, such as these (with the Polks going into the family room). I would be very interested to hear your views on the performance of these speakers now that you have had for a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom