Anyone here ever buy at shopgoodwill?

I check it out occasionally but shy away from the high prices for untested units.

I have notice this to most items at most are powered off no more testing 5 to 10 min you test most stuff enough to say it works pretty good. I see stereo receivers that sell on Ebay for $165 to $250 sell for $350+ with only like 1min of test no thanks. There is currently one item I want to buy but it says pickup only it has been listed 2 times already. I sent the seller a message say I would buy it if you could do ship the item it weighs like 40lbs + the response back I got back was the item is to big I do not want deal with shipping it will get broken. This item will never get sold for the starting price or more without shipping if it does sell they will have to drop the price a lot.

I've bought several items there. One for instance, was a HK 430 for about $40 as I remember. Got lucky because it was Pick up only, so limiting the bidders. Excellent condition including manual. Been using regularly for about 2 years now with no issues.

I have sold them for about $75 a piece in the past. Never paid more than $10 for one.

The vintage audio market is bananas.

Their packing sucks. Only bid if you can pick up the item.
Just my experience with them....had quite a few larger items shipped and packed pretty well. Nothing ever showed up damaged. Now their idea of packing albums have something to be desired and had dented corners on the jackets. But still not ruined.

I've bought everything from model trains to cameras to speakers from them.
Local pickup for the Infinity CS3008's since they were/are heavy suckers. Needed a re-foaming on the woofers but that's about it. Cleaned up the wood and they now hide behind the couch as rears in my HT setup.
Cameras were bought for the lenses attached to them. I never put film thru them but the lenses are keepers.
The model trains worked out well and even with the shipping were deals compared to the local shops.
You have to shop carefully but there are some good deals to be had if you're lucky.

Vintage electronics you will hardly every find a good deal everything gets bid way up. A lot of stuff I see on their the people browsing the site do know what the items are so they do not get a lot of bids. There is a lot of items that should not be listed on the site and left in the store like kitchen items that sell for $9 to $12

Last edited:
There it a Realistic STA 2000 current bid it $450 only testing had just a power on S M H. I see these receivers on Ebay go for $275 to $350 I bet the price will go upto $550 to $600. I know flippers are not bidding $150 to $400 more than Ebay prices for these vintage electronics.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/115622442

Last edited:
I scored a Rolex Speed King with Oysterflex bracelet off the junk jewellery checkout counter rack for $0.50 at our local GW not long before it closed.
Sir Malcom Campbell was the Speed King it was named for, it's sized between an Air King and a Lady Oyster.

The regional Goodwill headquarters is in my town and I can pick up auction items there, so I've never dealt with shipping. My local Goodwill used to have low starting bids, and I was able to pick up an early 1950's vintage radio/phono for $3. Then they started listing all items with a $19.95 starting bid, which is ridiculous for some of the junk, like 60 year old film strip projectors or totally trashed moldy 1960's LPs. If it doesn't sell, they lower the starting bid to $17.49. If it still doesn't sell, I think they put it in the stores, not sure. Anyway, having to rely on the auction site photos to determine condition is more than I'm willing to put up with, not to mention the shill bidding, so I don't bother looking any more.
I also was a regular buyer on shopgoodwill.com when it started up several years ago. Many great deals to be had at that time. I pretty much only watched local pickup items as shipping might often be as much or more than the selling price of an item. Also some of the regions have rediculous handling fees and my state has a nearly 9% sales tax. Best deals these days are on CL, FB marketplace and some estate sales. I also take a look at mercari, etsy and other local online auctions through companies like ctbids and hibid. Still plenty of places to find gear. I can easily find multiple pieces most weeks if I take the time to do so. Once an item is listed if it's a deal you gotta jump on it and be ready to go at a moment notice.

I had a bad experience with Goodwill of Maine. They shipped me a tuner with inadequate packing and it got dented. Not a disaster but I would be very cautious about buying again from them.

There it a Realistic STA 2000 current bid it $450 only testing had just a power on S M H. I see these receivers on Ebay go for $275 to $350 I bet the price will go upto $550 to $600. I know flippers are not bidding $150 to $250 more than Ebay prices for these vintage electronics.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/115622442
I really dont understand why things are selling for more on SG.com than ebay. Makes no sense but it's definitely a thing. I've often wished they would allow consignments because many items seem to bring a premium over other website sales. I have only purchased local pickup items so have zero experience with their packing and shipping. I do know that frequently they dont even take the time to clean items up a bit b4 taking pictures and listing them for sale. Just workers being lazy imo, however I do know the workers have to achieve a required number of auction listings in order to continue in that position. Pretty sure it's mostly minimum wage workers. I still watch shopgoodwill.com but know I'm not likely to find a bargain. Plenty of bargains to be had in the stores just not so many for electronics anymore.

I really dont understand why things are selling for more on SG.com than ebay. Makes no sense but it's definitely a thing. I've often wished they would allow consignments because many items seem to bring a premium over other website sales. I have only purchased local pickup items so have zero experience with their packing and shipping. I do know that frequently they dont even take the time to clean items up a bit b4 taking pictures and listing them for sale. Just workers being lazy imo, however I do know the workers have to achieve a required number of auction listings in order to continue in that position. Pretty sure it's mostly minimum wage workers. I still watch shopgoodwill.com but know I'm not likely to find a bargain. Plenty of bargains to be had in the stores just not so many for electronics anymore.
If you keep an eye out, some of the higher bided items get relisted due to non payment. I am not sure as to why someone would bid the items up so high (I don't really believe they are shill biding) and then not pay. What did they get from it other than booted for non payment.

There is a Sansui 909DB currently at $1335 with only a little testing with 5 days left I bet it goes a decent amount higher S M H. That is over what you would expect Goodwell to sell it at $400 to $650 would be a good deal Ebay prices now days are $150 to $400 over what they are really worth.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/115916053

Last edited:
There is a Sansui 909DB currently at $1335 with only a little testing with 5 days left I bet it goes a decent amount higher S M H. That is over what you would expect Goodwell to sell it at $400 to $650 would be a good deal Ebay prices now days are $150 to $400 over what they are really worth.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/115916053
Watch for it to be relisted after that auction closes....happened with a 1250 a week or two ago that was WAY over priced.

Watch for it to be relisted after that auction closes....happened with a 1250 a week or two ago that was WAY over priced.

I have been watching 3 items they have a min of 2 1/2 days left the bid price in 12 to 15 hrs tripled. These items have only had like 30 seconds to 1min of testing 2 of them do not even come with a power cord I bet 2 of the 3 will be relisted for non payment. I am not gonna pay $60 for something with very limited testing that sells on Ebay in great working for $85 to $100 S M H.

One thing I have notice is some items have $5 or $10 handling fee WTF might be ok if the items had more testing and in better condition.

Yeah! I bought a Pioneer SX-1250 for only $6000 there! :banana:

Not really, and we don't even have a Goodwill here.

I have. I've bought a few small items that aren't in demand like an Apple Airport Extreme and I even got an unusage Insinkerator disposal for $35.

Audio wise, I bought a Sansui 9090 and Pioneer SX-737 from them. I got them a number of years ago before prices got really ridiculous and before I knew about AK. Overall, they were good deals. Cosmetic condition on both was very good but both needed some electronic repair. At this point, I wouldn't buy vintage audio from them.

If you keep an eye out, some of the higher bided items get relisted due to non payment. I am not sure as to why someone would bid the items up so high (I don't really believe they are shill biding) and then not pay. What did they get from it other than booted for non payment.
A schill bid is placed by a seller to artificially inflate the price of an item. I dont think goodwill has bidders out there placing bids to drive the price up. I'm not sure what there policy is for non paying bidders. I imagine one would eventually loose there bidding priveledges but there is nothing stopping them from opening up another account.

I have been watching 3 items they have a min of 2 1/2 days left the bid price in 12 to 15 hrs tripled. These items have only had like 30 seconds to 1min of testing 2 of them do not even come with a power cord I bet 2 of the 3 will be relisted for non payment. I am not gonna pay $60 for something with very limited testing that sells on Ebay in great working for $85 to $100 S M H.

One thing I have notice is some items have $5 or $10 handling fee WTF might be ok if the items had more testing and in better condition.
The handling fees really tick me off. My local SG.com started with a $1 and $2 handling fees and then increased them to like $4. Like you say some are up to $10. For the first couple years when they started out I would be buying multiple items for local pickup and I built a relationship with the SG.com people and would only get a single handling fee charged instead of one for every item purchased. Got some great deals those first few years.

Back
Top Bottom