Anyone in Olympia, WA

Welcome.

I think I am the closest as far as repair.

Ropes eh? Looking to hang yourself?

Bumping an older post. I am in Seattle but would love to get together. I am new to the tube world, working on a Heathkit W-7M.

Mr Pig and I live in the Olympia area, we've been talking about possibly getting some AK members together to talk and listen to gear.

Audiofreak71

I'm still here in Olympia, with a garage full of basket cases.

I know not many would know where my avatar was taken, but the Volvo is long gone, and myself and the big blue building will be gone in 60 days or so. :bye: More warehouses coming to Hawks Prairie, like we need more. Can you envision up to 300-400 more trucks a day using Exit 111? :yikes:

AND I owe Mr. Pig an apology for not responding to a pm a long time ago! :oops:

I know not many would know where my avatar was taken, but the Volvo is long gone, and myself and the big blue building will be gone in 60 days or so. :bye: More warehouses coming to Hawks Prairie, like we need more. Can you envision up to 300-400 more trucks a day using Exit 111? :yikes:

Yeah looks like that area is getting busier and busier unfortunately and Lacey and Olympia is growing also, which is unfortunate because that's what I like about it down here, not to populated but still had everything one needs or wants. I'm sure Mr Pig will forgive you he's a very understanding Pig.

Audiofreak71

Here in Dupont...been here 11 years and its getting busier and busier which I don't like but it is what it is I guess...cant believe we don't have a regular grocery store but by God we have two Starbucks and Nail and hair places out the ying-yang....

Just two?

DuPont, as we know it now, sprang up for Intel and Intel only. They reportedly financed the free-way interchange, and it literally was built overnight. Thankfully (?) their plan of 8-10,000 jobs never materialized. Can you imagine what the traffic near JBLM would be today?

But I digress. It's all about the audio.

Hey there, I have a Marantz 2385 which I purchased new and although it is in great condition I'm thinking about getting it totally restored. It sat for 20 years while I lived in apartments but I just hooked it up last New Years eve and other than a few front panel lights not working, it played great all night. I saw a listing on an auction site where a member of this group on the east coast had done a full resto job and I wanted to get the same done to mine. Here's the details of the job they did. (I'm not selling this, just got a house and some vintage Klipsch K-horns so want to get to know my neighbors by having them come over and complain about the loud music. :) )
Restoration Description (128 new parts):
• The front face plate, and all PCB's were removed from the chassis and cleaned of any dirt.
• All potentiometers were Deoxed and lubed emitting no noise.
• All switches were disassembled and Deoxed.
• All oxidation and corrosion was removed from the speaker terminals, antenna terminals and RCA jacks.
• All lamps were replaced with the correct 8v LED lamps. 3 LED's per lamp emitting a vivid, even blue light. All function lights were replaced with new LED's and new velium paper.
• The tuning dial string was inspected and tension adjusted.
• All electrolytic capacitors on the tone, phono, and amplifier boards were upgraded with ELNA Silmic II audio grade capacitors.
• The power supply was upgraded With ELNA Silmic II and Nichicon Fine gold audio grade capacitors for higher current handling and life span.
• All film capacitors on the referenced boards were replaced and upgraded with Panasonic low noise metalized polypropylene film capacitors.
• The dual capacitor filters were upgraded to 4 Nichicon LS Series 6300uf, 100v capacitors.
• All transistors on the referenced boards, not just the known problematic ones, were replaced and HFE matched with Fairchild Semiconductor low noise BJT's.
• The output transistors are original and were removed, cleaned and re installed with new thermal paste.
• Amplifier adjustment potentiometers were replaced with Bourns potentiometers.
• All PCB's were inspected and re soldered in any areas needed.
• The power supply voltage, DC off-set and idle current were adjusted to the manufactures specifications.
• The receiver was cycled and left running multiple times for a period of three days and readjusted if needed.
The AM and FM sections work as they should. The FM has excellent pickup and tunes brilliant stereo sound and has a near silent noise floor. Both meters operate perfectly. The phono section was built to have a completely silent and uncolored background and makes records sound amazing. No matter the input used, when the program material is of good quality, the sound is very natural, spacial, and warm. ELNA and Panasonic are the majority capacitors originally used in these receivers. All tolerances and values of the new parts were carefully researched to match the original factory settings to preserve the sound that Saul Marantz intended. By replacing these 37+ year-old parts, which are dried out, creating noise, and/or out of spec, that classic sound quality is restored. There are no disappointments here.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks,
Leroy

Attachments

• Marantz1.jpg
    Marantz1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 8
Hey there, I have a Marantz 2385 which I purchased new and although it is in great condition I'm thinking about getting it totally restored. It sat for 20 years while I lived in apartments but I just hooked it up last New Years eve and other than a few front panel lights not working, it played great all night. I saw a listing on an auction site where a member of this group on the east coast had done a full resto job and I wanted to get the same done to mine. Here's the details of the job they did. (I'm not selling this, just got a house and some vintage Klipsch K-horns so want to get to know my neighbors by having them come over and complain about the loud music. :) )
Restoration Description (128 new parts):...

That sounds like a fairly complete restoration and it will become like new. Have you considered any improvements or do you want to keep it stock?
I live in Seattle but have no contacts who I could recommend for this job.
I would post this in the Marantz forum, where guys will be able to speak more intelligently about your plans.

Restoration Description (128 new parts):
• The front face plate, and all PCB's were removed from the chassis and cleaned of any dirt.
• All potentiometers were Deoxed and lubed emitting no noise.
• All switches were disassembled and Deoxed.
• All oxidation and corrosion was removed from the speaker terminals, antenna terminals and RCA jacks.
• All lamps were replaced with the correct 8v LED lamps. 3 LED's per lamp emitting a vivid, even blue light. All function lights were replaced with new LED's and new velium paper.
• The tuning dial string was inspected and tension adjusted.
• All electrolytic capacitors on the tone, phono, and amplifier boards were upgraded with ELNA Silmic II audio grade capacitors.
• The power supply was upgraded With ELNA Silmic II and Nichicon Fine gold audio grade capacitors for higher current handling and life span.
• All film capacitors on the referenced boards were replaced and upgraded with Panasonic low noise metalized polypropylene film capacitors.
• The dual capacitor filters were upgraded to 4 Nichicon LS Series 6300uf, 100v capacitors.
• All transistors on the referenced boards, not just the known problematic ones, were replaced and HFE matched with Fairchild Semiconductor low noise BJT's.
• The output transistors are original and were removed, cleaned and re installed with new thermal paste.
• Amplifier adjustment potentiometers were replaced with Bourns potentiometers.
• All PCB's were inspected and re soldered in any areas needed.
• The power supply voltage, DC off-set and idle current were adjusted to the manufactures specifications.
• The receiver was cycled and left running multiple times for a period of three days and readjusted if needed.
The AM and FM sections work as they should. The FM has excellent pickup and tunes brilliant stereo sound and has a near silent noise floor. Both meters operate perfectly. The phono section was built to have a completely silent and uncolored background and makes records sound amazing. No matter the input used, when the program material is of good quality, the sound is very natural, spacial, and warm. ELNA and Panasonic are the majority capacitors originally used in these receivers. All tolerances and values of the new parts were carefully researched to match the original factory settings to preserve the sound that Saul Marantz intended. By replacing these 37+ year-old parts, which are dried out, creating noise, and/or out of spec, that classic sound quality is restored. There are no disappointments here.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks,
Leroy

HOwdy FLREAD, good to run across another AKer in the area. There is a member up north of Seattle that is a good tech, he might take on a restore job for you. He posted earlier in this thread, blhagstrom. Maybe get in contact with him?

Regards
Mister Pig

Well drop me a PM then anytime. Everyone is busy these days, and heck I am a friendly pig.

I realize this is a fairly old thread...but I live in Olympia too. I have a couple of old late 70's receivers & speakers that I love to sit & listen to. I haven't been here to visit AK for quite a while but seriously considering getting my SX-1050 worked on (the obvious is left channel not putting out sound problem). Any recommendations on a good tech that will do quality work? any information is appreciated.
thanks,
Tom

Big thanks fanghorn & ScottFan. I'll check Gig Harbor Audio. I've seen someone in Kelso on Craigslist selling audio equipment...it must be your guy ScottFan.

Big thanks fanghorn & ScottFan. I'll check Gig Harbor Audio. I've seen someone in Kelso on Craigslist selling audio equipment...it must be your guy ScottFan.
He seems pretty legit. I haven't opened up the receiver but saw the pics in the ad and every last millimeter of the outside, including all rca connections, are clean and new looking as can be. Sounds great.

Hi @ScottFan355 and @tometro , I see your in Tumwater Tom but I didn't know you were down here Scott, theres a few more of us down here in the Olympia area and I was thinking we could all get together from time to time, talk Audio, listen to each other's systems etc. Let me know what you guys think.

Lance

Back
Top Bottom