Anyone know of any uses for 12FQ8 tubes???

analog addict

Glory or Death!
The kind folks at a local thrift let me pay $25 for an old Wurlitzer and part it out right at the store and leave them the carcass. One of the 6L6GC's was broken, and some vulture has stolen the 12AX7's but got some nice iron on a mono PP 6L6 amp a 5U4GB, a single GE 6L6GC, two 12" Maggie speakers, and about 30 of the 12FQ8's.

Are the 12FQ8's just future target practice, or is there actually a use for them?...:scratch2:

Seems like it could work anyplace you would use a 12AX7 as long as the DC potential of the cathode is the same. You would have to parallel the two plates associated with the same grid. Possible pitfall is I believe that the inter-electrode capacitances are a bit higher. Could do LTP or stereo CC voltage amps either with common cathode bias or ground the cathode and use fixed bias. If you paralleled all of the plates and grids you could get reasonably low rp and gm, you got plenty of them after all.

Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Interesting. Never heard of a double plate triode before. Common cathode, two grids and four plates in one tube. Anyone know why they were built that way?

I was curious about this, too. Found something from tubelab.com on diyAudio: "Each twin plate triode can generate two different divide ratios when used as a triggered relaxation oscillator. The time constant is set up to be just a little longer than the desired repitition rate and a trigger pulse is applied to the grid. It is possible to build a multivibrator that runs at two frequencies at once (related by a factor of two) using one of these tubes."

The RCA Receiving Tube Manual lists those multiplate tubes as being used
for 'complex waveform generators', but as far as I can remember, no typical
circuits are suggested.

I set up a tremolo pedal many years ago - I got side-tracked during testing and never properly finished it off. It used a negative bias supply to provide fixed biasing to two 12FQ8 (four separate stages), with cathodes connected to ground. Fixed bias preamp stages need to be capacitor coupled (to previous stages and to any pots). I used one triode side for the low-frequency oscillator - one plate was used for the RC shift feedback - and the other plate for the output LFO signal.

Mu of 95, transconductance a bit more than 12AX7 if two plates are paralleled. Common cathode does present some limitations.

Just to update my experience - I managed to complete and get my vibrato pedal working. The attached schematic has oodles of gain, with output starting to soft clip at 28Vrms and able to exceed 45Vrms with 20mVrms input. The vibrato uses a Magnatone circuit with cloned varistors. A 12Vdc plugpack allows direct powering of heaters, and provision of negative bias for the 12FQ8 triodes, and direct supply of a cheapo car inverter isolated dc/dc for 235V B+.

Although I only used two 12FQ8, and didn't tube roll others in, I did notice that the input stage 12FQ8 appeared to be sensitive to microphonic tapping or handling of the small diecast box that the pedal was constructed in, so there may be benefit in isolating the socket, and/or chassis. The input stage 12FQ8 was also very susceptible to stray hum coupling from nearby mains on the bench, and needed a full metal screen (eg. tube cooler) to suppress pickup.

Fixed bias imho was the simplest way to utilise the triode sections, as the common cathode can be simply connected to 0V. And for applications like the low frequency phase-shift oscillator, a common grid can be used with two separate anode circuits, and the high mu used to advantage.

Attachments

• Vibrato clone pedal schematic.pdf
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom