Anyone still use a fluxbuster on their cartridge?

qdrone

Music is my mistress
My analog front end sounded sluggish, lost its sparkle and fluxbusted the cartridge and bam it brought it back to where it reminded me of why I feel in love with this cartridge. It's a Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso DTI a classic from back in late 80's early 90's when fluxbusting was recommended. Just curious.

Luxman made a cartridge demagnetizer, which is one device folks can use. In the instructions there was a duscussion of the two types of moving coil cartridges. One needs to be demagged one does not.

If you dont own a fluxbuster watch this.

For MC only. If you use a Luxman or Sumiko fluxbuster it's also important that the stylus is on vinyl. I usually rest mine on a record when I flux bust.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
I have a Sumiko FluxBuster. I think it's primarily for MC cartridges as it is supposed to demagnetize the coils that move through the magnetic field to produce sound. Those coils can get magnetized (moreso in some cartridges I think?), leading to sound that is less lively and somewhat dull. I have a 30+ year old Monster Alpha-2 is well known to benefit from demagnetizing. I picked up the fluxbuster because the Alpha-2 was sounding a bit lifeless. After flux busting the high end was clear and more present, bass was tighter and dynamics were improved. I know that a lot of people seem to think that this process is hooey, but I sure was impressed with what it did for my cartridge.

I have a Sumiko FluxBuster. I think it's primarily for MC cartridges as it is supposed to demagnetize the coils that move through the magnetic field to produce sound. Those coils can get magnetized (moreso in some cartridges I think?), leading to sound that is less lively and somewhat dull. I have a 30+ year old Monster Alpha-2 is well known to benefit from demagnetizing. I picked up the fluxbuster because the Alpha-2 was sounding a bit lifeless. After flux busting the high end was clear and more present, bass was tighter and dynamics were improved. I know that a lot of people seem to think that this process is hooey, but I sure was impressed with what it did for my cartridge.
From what I understand is the coil is tightly wound wire wrapped around a magnetic aperture. The wire or coils become magnetized from constant current running through them.

From what I understand is the coil is tightly wound wire wrapped around a magnetic aperture. The wire or coils become magnetized from constant current running through them.
It would be a ferrous MC armature becoming magnetized, the copper or silver coils are nonmagnetic material.
Some MC carts don't have a ferrous armature and wouldn't benefit from this procedure.

I wonder if these flux busters are similar to, or the same as, demagnetizers that are used to demagnify automatic watch movements. I bought one of these little gadgets from amazon a while back for a few bucks. I have no MC carts and I'll keep it away from my MM carts.

I wonder if these flux busters are similar to, or the same as, demagnetizers that are used to demagnify automatic watch movements. I bought one of these little gadgets from amazon a while back for a few bucks. I have no MC carts and I'll keep it away from my MM carts.
Not the same thing, no.

The Luxman manual discussing the use of their device.

Since that doesn't read well, how do we use ak to be able to provide a large pic for folks to be able to read? The doc I put here is big and easy to read.

Attachments

• XA-1 Manual Large.jpg
    XA-1 Manual Large.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 32
I acquired the Sumiko Fluxbuster I believe, sometime in the early 90s. Haven’t used it since shortly after that. Nothing happened, I just didn’t feel comfortable using on an expensive MC cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom