Anyone tried a Jico VN5xMR SAS stylus on an M97xE ?

Garven

I know Jico makes three SAS models specifically for the Shure M97xE but I'm curious about trying one of their VN5xMR SAS styli.

I have a neoSAS for my M97xE and love it so I'm considering picking up another one. However, I'd like to pick up the VN5xMR version as I occasionally see V15VxMRs for sale at a decent price without stylus (plus I prefer the black brush holder to the blue one, superficial reason I know). I did see one thread online in which an inquiry to Jico ended up with a reply to the effect that the only real difference between their SAS styli for the two is the color of the brush holder. However, I have noticed significant frequency response differences between my M97xE-SAS/S and N44GX-SAS styli when I compared them mounted on a Paradox Pulse-bodied SC35C (6dB treble boost on the M97xE-SAS/S around 14kHz!).

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried the VN5xMR-SAS on an M97xE. If so, did you find it worked well for you?

You'll receive multiple helpful responses from more knowledgeable users than me, and I cannot answer your question directly, but I can tell you that I am using a 97HE stylus on my m97xe with great success. Using the OEM stylus I found the m97xe to be smooth but dull, veiled so as to make it unusable. Adding the 97HE stylus brought out enough high end and shimmer to make it my favorite cartridge overall.

Now, you've already got a JICO SAS for the m97xe so you're already aware of what I'm talking about, and more. I've seen the VN5xMR styli on turntableneedles for $130, and find them tempting for use in the m97xe. I'm also tempted by the popular 97xvl vivdline at LPGear, which is a few bucks cheaper and gets great reviews.

If you try the VN5xMR please let us know how it sounds, especially compared to the JICO you've used. Even with the MANY threads about Shure carts and styli, I have yet to read a comprehensive comparison between the highest-end JICO styli, other useable options (like my 97HE), the 97xvl, the 97SE (.3X.7), and the OEM .2X.7. The 97HE was available for a short while at TVOM for $70 and I thought it was a steal. The most price-attractive options now are the 97xvl ($114) and the VN5xMR ($130). Even though the JICO SAS are loved, I cannot see myself spending $200 for them.

You'll receive multiple helpful responses from more knowledgeable users than me, and I cannot answer your question directly, but I can tell you that I am using a 97HE stylus on my m97xe with great success. Using the OEM stylus I found the m97xe to be smooth but dull, veiled so as to make it unusable. Adding the 97HE stylus brought out enough high end and shimmer to make it my favorite cartridge overall.

Now, you've already got a JICO SAS for the m97xe so you're already aware of what I'm talking about, and more. I've seen the VN5xMR styli on turntableneedles for $130, and find them tempting for use in the m97xe. I'm also tempted by the popular 97xvl vivdline at LPGear, which is a few bucks cheaper and gets great reviews.

If you try the VN5xMR please let us know how it sounds, especially compared to the JICO you've used. Even with the MANY threads about Shure carts and styli, I have yet to read a comprehensive comparison between the highest-end JICO styli, other useable options (like my 97HE), the 97xvl, the 97SE (.3X.7), and the OEM .2X.7. The 97HE was available for a short while at TVOM for $70 and I thought it was a steal. The most price-attractive options now are the 97xvl ($114) and the VN5xMR ($130). Even though the JICO SAS are loved, I cannot see myself spending $200 for them.
Thanks for the reply. the $130 VN5xMR stylus on turntableneedles is actually a hyper-elliptical, possibly a Jico. However, I've seen statements around the net that Jico does not recognize ttn as an official vendor and so we don't really know for sure. I have the LPGear VL for the M97x and it's ok but I find it a bit underwhelming. The SAS tends to counteract the overly dull nature of the M97x but the VL doesn't. It's a bit better on my SC35 but there's still something about it I find unexciting.

As for the 97HE, I'm hesitant to spring for it as my understanding is you have to cut off the curved "banner" from the front of it for the stylus to fit the M97x. I would fit my rebodied SC35 & M35X so it's tempting but then again I could also pick up a Jico HE for the M95 (which I also own).

For now I decided to go ahead and order a boron Jico VN5xMR-SAS from LPTunes so we'll see how it performs.

JICO said that the SAS for both are interchangeable and one and the same except for color.
Yes I've read that, but my experience with the two SAS styli I own is that they are quite different on the same rebodied SC35. Granted they are not both for "x" series Shure carts (one if for the M44GX/SC35C/M35X series and the other for the M97x). This seems to suggest that Jico modifies something in their design to account for the cartridge on which the stylus will be mounted, perhaps inductance. Given that my SC35/M35X both have an inductance of 425mH, same as the V15VxMR, I wonder if the Jico VN5xMR-SAS will sound different on it than on the M97x, which has an inductance of 650mH. time will tell. Thanks for your reply.

Another stylus option for the M97xE is the N110HE (hyper-elliptical). It fits without hacking anything up...

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product...cts_id=1005&osCsid=bor38550k941oatpq55bmdigu4
thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I just tried a generic EVG M95 stylus on my 97x and it fits just fine. Actually sounds pretty good too, certainly better than the stock N97xE! That means I could pick up a Jico N95HE stylus for the same $96 price. I like having a stylus guard.

Back
Top Bottom