Anyone tried bypassing the pre-amp in the SX-1250?

qguy

Has anyone tried bypassing the pre-amp in the SX-1250 and connecting the source direct to the power amp ? What was the effect?

I asked this because I was using a Rotel power amp with direct connection to a DAC, I eventually used the SX-1250 pre-amp and noticed that the sound was warmer and bit more relaxed. Is this relaxed tone the correct character of the pre-amp or age is creeping in for the SX-1250? Tone switch is off, Loudness off, basically Flat setting.

I've never done what you are asking about, as in using the 1250 as a stand alone amp. Never really had a reason to. But, I have used the 1250's pre amp to run another amp. The wonderful warm sound that I am used to from my 1250 was not there like I had hoped for. I put that more on the external amp that I was using than the pre amp in the 1250. In your case, the 1250 pre-amp seems to be matched fairly well to the Rotel power amp if you're getting a good sound. Some of my gear buddies mentioned that this isn't the optimum way to use Pioneer pre-amps, so I haven't pursued that again. Someone will come along and explain this in technical terms soon enough, and will be interesting to know.

If you have an attenuator or volume control on the source then you can; else the sound will be running in full blast.
My SX1250 amplifier is currently connected to my tube amp.

If you have an attenuator or volume control on the source then you can; else the sound will be running in full blast.
My SX1250 amplifier is currently connected to my tube amp.
Two amplifiers running each other, hmmmmm. What have we here? I'm assuming you meant pre-amp somewhere in that comment. But which one? Pioneer pre-amp running tube amp, or vice versa?

Two amplifiers running each other, hmmmmm. What have we here? I'm assuming you meant pre-amp somewhere in that comment. But which one? Pioneer pre-amp running tube amp, or vice versa?

Yes, I meant my my tube pre-amp connected to SX1250 as amp. Then I ran an rca cable from my SX 1250 tape out to the tuner ins of my tube pre-amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom