Anyone using nobsound. And is it safe to ?

Just a little update. I've been listening to this little amp for four month's now with stock tubes and have bin really happy with it apart from the noise from the tubes when you look at them. I finally decided it was time to try a different tube but didn't want to spend too much on my first set so I bought two matched pair of these Russian tubes.
image.jpg
All I can say is I should have done it four month ago.
All the micro phonic noise of the Chinese tubes is gone and they sound very different. A much darker but kind of a wide open warmer sound.
So I am very happy and looking forward to being able to try different types and brands of tubes in it.

I also put in some little heat sinks on the op amp's. I didn't see that it could do any harm.

Without
image.jpg

With
image.jpg
So ye a nice little amp for not a lot of money.

cool ldea for the op amps. mine just has a single transistor output. Glad to hear the new tubes worked out. i still use and like my little Nobster.

I got the following pairs of tubes:
CV3998 KQDD/K Mullard gold pins Black plate
7149/CV3998 gold pin Mullards from Mitchum Black plate O-getter
6688/E180F National (made in USA) gold pin Grey plate slanted ring getter
6688 RCA Black plate Ring getter
6688 Amperex PQ Black Plate Ring getter.

The KQDD/K Mullards are in there, and haven't come out yet. I would wager that any of these will trounce the stock Sino-tubes that arrive with my amp. The stock tubes bring nothing to the table, in terms of fit and finish, let alone how they sound. They look ragged, uneven, even the envelope is distorted, and rippled. The Old Stock tubes I bought were very inexpensive, so I can't see why anyone would stick with the ones that are shipped with the amp.

cool ldea for the op amps. mine just has a single transistor output. Glad to hear the new tubes worked out. i still use and like my little Nobster.

Thanks I thought seeing as they get hot a couple of heat sink's would be a good idea.
I got the following pairs of tubes:
CV3998 KQDD/K Mullard gold pins Black plate
7149/CV3998 gold pin Mullards from Mitchum Black plate O-getter
6688/E180F National (made in USA) gold pin Grey plate slanted ring getter
6688 RCA Black plate Ring getter
6688 Amperex PQ Black Plate Ring getter.

The KQDD/K Mullards are in there, and haven't come out yet. I would wager that any of these will trounce the stock Sino-tubes that arrive with my amp. The stock tubes bring nothing to the table, in terms of fit and finish, let alone how they sound. They look ragged, uneven, even the envelope is distorted, and rippled. The Old Stock tubes I bought were very inexpensive, so I can't see why anyone would stick with the ones that are shipped with the amp.

Ye the stock tubes in mine don't even sit strait in the sockets.
I'm looking into a pair of mullard's next the e180f. They seem to be easier to get hear in the uk.

Back
Top Bottom