Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch Camera E-8

Yes folks, at one time we, as a country, could come together and do those things, do those things quite often and do them damn well when we did them. And then....

And on the flip side I still think its hotter than hell to watch every time! Thanks for posting!

Excellent!! When you realize how much power they managed to harness,it really makes you feel insignificant.

My brother filmed that. I lit the fuse and then stood behind my brother as he filmed it. We had to wear sun glasses. It was over with before it got too hot. Really, I'm not kidding.

Yes folks, at one time we, as a country, could come together and do those things, do those things quite often and do them damn well when we did them. And then....

And on the flip side I still think its hotter than hell to watch every time! Thanks for posting!

It was amazing.
And it was blueprint and slide rule and main frame computers.

50 years later, new excitement is things like SpaceX.

That's 3 tons of fuel per second

2 tons of kerosene type fuel
1 ton of liquid oxygen

oh that's per engine

five F1 engines

so 15 tons of fuel per second

ran for about 2 minutes
produced 7.6 million pounds of thrust

the stack was capable of placing 300,000 pounds in orbit

It was amazing.
And it was blueprint and slide rule and main frame computers.

50 years later, new excitement is things like SpaceX.
I agree that SpaceX is phenomenally exciting and mind blowing in its own way but I fear it does little to lift our pride as a whole nation of people as the Apollo program did and in my way of thinking there was a collective endeavor behind the whole program.
During the moon landings I'm sure I wasn't the only kid looking up at the moon at night thinking "we're up there and we've done this."

I agree that SpaceX is phenomenally exciting and mind blowing in its own way but I fear it does little to lift our pride as a whole nation of people as the Apollo program did and in my way of thinking there was a collective endeavor behind the whole program.
During the moon landings I'm sure I wasn't the only kid looking up at the moon at night thinking "we're up there and we've done this."

True.

But I think Elon Musk is serious about getting to Mars.

He's doing big stuff and he's doing it in the U.S.A.

I just resigned at Microsoft to go work at SpaceX.

SpaceX has space rockets that soft land on land and barges and things named Dragon.

Microsoft has a coffee table.

I drew space launches as a kid and watched them on black and white TV.

I'm a little excited about space again.

Isn't the Saturn V still considered the 'most power machine ever built'?
i believe the reds had one more powerful but not 100 percent sure.Watched a doc on amazon prime i believe that dealt with the reds space progam and rockets it was quite a good doc.Like it or not the fact is the russians built reliable,simple ,rockets .They just couldnt afford to keep up with the U.S.A! Excellent vid by the way, thanks for sharing it.

I would have loved to see a Saturn V launch. I've seen a Minuteman III launch, it was shocking how much flash and rumble it made, and it's a bottle rocket compared to Saturn V.

Back
Top Bottom