Apple called it, they are right about the 3.5mm phone plug

I bought a new MacBook some years ago and returned it within a week. The wifi network kept dropping out. I found a forum thread 179 pages long ( and counting ) where some couple apple fans insisted apple specs would not compromise to some lower mass standard, and therefore were in the right. Meanwhile I used a netbook to video chat across the pond for 4 uninterrupted hours.

That being said I'm happy with my iPad mini, and iPhone 5. I still have my stone age samsung cell phone for music.

My bad. I thought it was about Apple and the 3.5mm phone plug. :rflmao:

I actually like the $9 lightning to 3.5mm adapter that comes with the 7's. I bought it for my SE. It has an output impedance of 0.1Ω. The regular headphone output on the SE/6S is measured at 4.5Ω.

The closer to 0Ω output impedance the better.

Before I had my first iPhone I had 3 iPod Touch's and an iPad. I could not understand the attachment people have with a smart phone. What I find interesting is I use my 6+ more then I use this PC on am typing on. What I didn't really understand how things revolve around these devices. While I have a very nice 5.1 music, theater system I mostly listen on my iPhone. Classic Carl has one thing right the Apple Earpod is the worst earphone known to mankind, and if Apple thinks I am going to fork over $159 Dollars for the AirPod I have news for Apple is isn't going to happen.

The value in the AirPods is as a versatile, multi-function audio enabled device. The value proposition for an audiophile is absolutely nonexistent.

I don't know; my limited experience with Bluetooth is that it is far to prone too dropouts and glitches for regular music listening, and never would I use it in any professional application.

GJ
Strange. I use Bluetooth every time I am in the car and every day at work and never have drop outs (otherwise I would plug my phone in). It just works. My main issue with Bluetooth is that it is a lossy format when compared with Airplay, but at work and in the car, it is about convenience in less than ideal audio quality situations. I also use Bluetooth quite a bit for podcasts around the house. The other main issue is the fact that you have to be inside Bluetooth range (which is where drop outs are likely to occur), but Bluetooth 5 is supposed to expand that range. At my desk and in the car, it isn't a problem, though.

I wouldn't mind having a pair of AirPods for the convenience since I often listen to podcasts where SQ isn't a concern. I just don't think I would get $150 of use out of them at this point. Maybe it will make more sense in the Spring/Summer when I am often out for walks with and without the pups. I still don't think I would use them very often for music around the house, but I already have wired headphones around the house that fill that need.

That being said, most people don't care about SQ to the extent that I do (which is admittedly is less than a lot of people on this forum) and convenience is much more important. For those people, the AirPods and the Bluetooth headphones are ideal.

The march of technology. I just dread getting a new car, as I'm still buying up CDs because everyone is dumping them, and I hear cars are being made without them. Figures, just when I'm at the top of the demand curve. I dread having to get a new computer that won't have a CD burner either. Oy vey.
You can always get an external DVD writer .

I don't own anything from Apple and never will. I can't stand earbuds either. :thumbsdown:
What surprises me the most is that some people actually make monthly payments to own a phone. :wtf:
My Android was $100 and it does what I need it to do. It makes phone calls, texts, takes an occasional photo, and I can use it for the internet if I'm not home. With that being said, cell phones amaze the crap out of me, considering I grew up with 3 TV channels and party lines on a rotary phone.

Because the difference between an expensive phone and a $100 phone is night and day. $100 phones tend to be like toys and they break often.

Because the difference between an expensive phone and a $100 phone is night and day. $100 phones tend to be like toys and they break often.

I've had mine for over two years without any issues whatsoever. I'm told it takes video too, but I have an actual camera to do that. I also use my cameras to take photos. Like I said before, it does what I need it to do. If you need to spend $500 plus for yours, be me guest. To each his own.

However smart and versatile (and expensive) you make a phone, there are and hopefully always will be dedicated devices for each additional function that phone has, and they do it better. I don't believe in all-in-one systems in audio because I've never seen one that could compete with separates. They're convenient in places where quality is secondary, like kitchens, bedrooms maybe. An for people who are satisfied with quality that will be OK at best. Same thing with smartphones. Yes, the expensive ones can take a bit better pictures, play videos and music, run apps a bit better than the cheap ones. But they are no competition for a regular camera, DAP, TV screen or computer. With all the extra features they're convenient for situations when don't have access to the real thing - but playing music is not one of those features, because high quality DAPs are portable too. I'd rather spend $500 on a decent DAP that can only play music, but does it really well, then on a phone that does everything, but only sort of OK. As far as I'm concerned, phones could have no headphones connectivity at all.

Wireless headphones are a different story. Some are decent, but at any given price you can find better sounding wired headphones. And I wouldn't like having to remember to charge 1 more device.

However smart and versatile (and expensive) you make a phone, there are and hopefully always will be dedicated devices for each additional function that phone has, and they do it better. I don't believe in all-in-one systems in audio because I've never seen one that could compete with separates. They're convenient in places where quality is secondary, like kitchens, bedrooms maybe. An for people who are satisfied with quality that will be OK at best. Same thing with smartphones. Yes, the expensive ones can take a bit better pictures, play videos and music, run apps a bit better than the cheap ones. But they are no competition for a regular camera, DAP, TV screen or computer. With all the extra features they're convenient for situations when don't have access to the real thing - but playing music is not one of those features, because high quality DAPs are portable too. I'd rather spend $500 on a decent DAP that can only play music, but does it really well, then on a phone that does everything, but only sort of OK. As far as I'm concerned, phones could have no headphones connectivity at all.

Wireless headphones are a different story. Some are decent, but at any given price you can find better sounding wired headphones. And I wouldn't like having to remember to charge 1 more device.
I don't pull a wheelbarrow with all that stuff with me on a daily basis. I like having one thing that does a very good job of shooting video, playing music, shooting photos, browsing email, making calls, etc.

I like having a device that does it all that fits in a pocket. I also think you underestimate the phone as a music player. In addition to casting and AirPlay, you can plug in external DACs and send out a digital signal (even high res if your DAC supports it).

The photo and video quality get better every year and there is often large differences between cheap and more expensive devices. Being able to shoot 4K or Raw files is where we are now. Of course, I paid a lot more for a DSLR and lenses, and the photo quality is better, but I still take more photos with my iPhone. My last photo of my grandmother was with an iPhone, so I consider it important to get very good quality from the camera I have with me. To quote Chase Jarvis: "the best camera is the one you have with you". For me, that it is typically an iPhone.

Different strokes for different folks.

I am fixing to get an iPhone 7+ shortly. I was going to wait for the 8+ but it is going to be a completely new design and as always the rumors are flying. One of the most interesting is a diamond hard ceramic case. But I think I am going to take a wait and see attitude go with the 7+. The 7+ is much better the my 6+ better camera system, 60% more CPU power, 40% better battery life, 3D touch etc.

I am fixing to get an iPhone 7+ shortly. I was going to wait for the 8+ but it is going to be a completely new design and as always the rumors are flying. One of the most interesting is a diamond hard ceramic case. But I think I am going to take a wait and see attitude go with the 7+. The 7+ is much better the my 6+ better camera system, 60% more CPU power, 40% better battery life, 3D touch etc.
I would be interested in your impressions after you get it. I have one, but I am always interested in other opinions.

I would be interested in your impressions after you get it. I have one, but I am always interested in other opinions.
My iPhone 7+ will come in the mail this Friday 17th, as will the Otterbox Defender case and gorilla glass protective screen for it. Met a person who had one and the only complaint he had about his 7 was not being about to listen to while charging. Now that I am used to reasonably good Bluetooth earsets to me it is not an issue. This is what I purchased:

apple-iphone-7-plus-gallery-img-6.jpg

My iPhone 7+ will come in the mail this Friday 17th, as will the Otterbox Defender case and gorilla glass protective screen for it. Met a person who had one and the only complaint he had about his 7 was not being about to listen to while charging. Now that I am used to reasonably good Bluetooth earsets to me it is not an issue. This is what I purchased:

apple-iphone-7-plus-gallery-img-6.jpg

I believe Apple's dock will allow you to charge and listen at the same time. I think there are some third party options, as well. I use a Dragonfly DAC, Airplay, and Bluetooth, so I don't have much need fort the headphone port. I do use the earbuds that came with it for listening to podcasts while walking the pups when I haven't charged my Bluetooth headphones, but it is a rare occurrence.

I like Ottorbox and have one for when we go to the beach, but I just have a cheap clear case (I like seeing the Jet black) on it and it works fine for my needs. I have dropped the phone a few times and, so far (knock on wood), it hasn't been an issue. I have AppleCare on the iPhone, so I am willing to risk it to have a thinner, lighter case.

Look forward to your review.

From wikipedia: The 3.5 mm or miniature and 2.5 mm or sub-miniature sizes were originally designed as two-conductor connectors for earpieces on transistor radio since the 1950s, the standard still used today.
So pretty much 70 years.
1947 is 70 years. So, what was being used on hearing aids and the Belmont Boulevard pocket radio in 1947?

I'm test driving a Moto Z Force, the most ergonomically pleasant device I've handled.
C connection and form factor loses the phone jax to an adapter, not a deal breaker as I have hearing aids occupying the earbuds holes. Verizon solved my internet access problem with the new unlimited option, applicable on my WiFi hot spot and tablet.

I wouldn't mind having a pair of AirPods for the convenience since I often listen to podcasts where SQ isn't a concern. I just don't think I would get $150 of use out of them at this point. Maybe it will make more sense in the Spring/Summer when I am often out for walks with and without the pups. I still don't think I would use them very often for music around the house, but I already have wired headphones around the house that fill that need.
I recently bought a pair of BeatX wireless earbuds rather than Airpods. These have the W1 chip, like the Airpods, but have a band that connect them rather than being individual pieces. Amazon had them for $119 with a $30 Apple Music/iTunes gift card, so they were essentially $89. I have other Bluetooth headphones but in comparison they are a pain to use because of all the pairing and un-pairing involved. Since these work with Siri, I can put my phone on a table in the backyard and roam around and even change music selections with a touch of a button. They fit in ear and provide several different ear tips and wings, so they should fit anyone without much issue. They also have inline controls that you don't get with the Airpods which I find more convenient for starting stopping tracks than Siri. Also, if I need to take them off for a few minutes, the earbuds have magnets on them, so you can hang them around your neck and connect the ends magnetically.

I have always heard that Beats are bass heavy, but I don't think these really fit that description since they don't drown out the treble like other bass heavy headphones I have heard. I haven't compared them to my other headphones for SQ, but it is tolerable for the applications I mentioned...working in the yard, grilling out (which I do often), walking the pups, laying on the couch watching Youtube videos on an iPad, etc. When I am listening to music and more static, I have tons of other setups that sound a lot better, but these take convenience to a new level. Also, you charge them with a lightning cable, so on trips, I don't have to pack and extra cable and since I have lightning cables already at the ready at most of my favorite spots in the house, I don't have to dig up a micro-USB like my other Bluetooth headphones.

As I said, these aren't audiophile quality and I think you still need cabled headphones at this point to get very good sound, but the convenience is nice to have for the right situations when I don't want to deal cables and can live with average sound.

Back
Top Bottom