Apple Music (On Trial & Onward)

Until you've experienced Sonos, of course. Lol.

I've tried AirPlay and Google Casting. They have their place, but the Sonos is far more elegant and reliable than either. Well worth the price, as any Sonos owner knows. Small wonder Apple chose Sonos as its only third party AM platform. Voice control coming soon, we shall see how much it adds to the experience.

Thanks Chicks, I have no doubt. I'm not a penny-pincher when it comes to Audio, believe me. McIntosh aside, I have been accused of being a spend-thrift when it comes to audio. Many if us have, I'm sure. But for some reason, I can't bring myself to splurge on Sonos..... YET. For my pad in Hawaii, Sonos would actually be supreme. And I assume it would hold up to the humidity and salt air fairly well. I make sure my equipment there is heavy on the plastic or powder coated metal for corrosion resistance.

I've had Sonos in my sights for a while.

Smart to wait until the voice control. Don't know if they'll be adding microphones to existing line, or what. Play:5 already has mics, but not an array like Echo.

Good info UOMT. I have ONE AirPort device and will update it. The rest are DLNA/Airplay aftermarkets as you know. I'm streaming one of them now.

WWDC is always good to see what comes out of it. If Siri opens up to outside appliances and apps, that would be amazing. I think Apple (judging by the recent ramping-up of Apple TV Ads with SIRI control) is setting up to directly challenge Amazon. I bought my Amazin Fire Stick TV on the pre-order for $19.00. One thing Bezos has always been good at is getting appliances into the hands of consumers that will churn ancillary revenue on-going. Give away the appliance, gain the revenue of subscription.

The competition between Amazon, Apple and Google will be fierce, but the payoff for the consumer will be fantastic. The biggie for me is iPhone 7 as you know. I'm counting the days until the "assumed" September launch.
Given what you said about the Firestick, it seems strange that the Echo Dot is on limited release. They might have been able to get a lot more in people's homes before Google and Apple got into the market at that price. I really like mine. I got it setup so that I can tell it to start up my system in the living room and send any of my local ALAC music to it via just using voice ( in addition to just using it for normal stuff like lights and Pandora).

That being said, if Apple puts out something similar that works with Apple Music, I will probably be interested. My main issue with Siri is that you can't just say "play Johnny Cash on my living room Airplay speaker" and music starts playing. If they added that ability to Siri and this new device, it would be hard to resist. I would probably just end up putting the Echo in my home office ( I was thinking about buying one for that room anyway).

The other big advantage for Apple would be "handoff." They will probably have the ability to start a song or podcast on the device and then just tell the iPhone to pick up where it left off. It could be a much more seamless experience for iOS users.

I have a feeling that Apple's device will be at a higher price point than the Echo, so cost:benefit considerations will be there for a lot of people. (by the way, I am not ignoring Google's entry into this market, but I am pretty sure it won't work with Apple Music/AirPlay, so it is less appealing for my needs).

Given what you said about the Firestick, it seems strange that the Echo Dot is on limited release. They might have been able to get a lot more in people's homes before Google and Apple got into the market at that price. I really like mine. I got it setup so that I can tell it to start up my system in the living room and send any of my local ALAC music to it via just using voice ( in addition to just using it for normal stuff like lights and Pandora).

That being said, if Apple puts out something similar that works with Apple Music, I will probably be interested. My main issue with Siri is that you can't just say "play Johnny Cash on my living room Airplay speaker" and music starts playing. If they added that ability to Siri and this new device, it would be hard to resist. I would probably just end up putting the Echo in my home office ( I was thinking about buying one for that room anyway).

The other big advantage for Apple would be "handoff." They will probably have the ability to start a song or podcast on the device and then just tell the iPhone to pick up where it left off. It could be a much more seamless experience for iOS users.

I have a feeling that Apple's device will be at a higher price point than the Echo, so cost:benefit considerations will be there for a lot of people. (by the way, I am not ignoring Google's entry into this market, but I am pretty sure it won't work with Apple Music/AirPlay, so it is less appealing for my needs).

I think that Amazon has order fulfillment issues on new product combined with design and delivery challenges. I know they did with Echo when it first came out, and the same with Fire Stick TV. But they keep offering bargain basement pricing on things. I bought their 7" Fire Tablet on super sale for $39. It's amazing. For that price? The quality vs price is unmatched. You'd be lucky to get 1/2 that quality at 50 bucks. I use it as much as my iPad. More sometimes. And again, Bezos was smart. I needed an Amazon Fire Tablet like I needed a bloody nose, but for 39 bucks, I had to jump on it. When I'm using it, I'm accessing Fire TV, Amazon Music and Amazon Movies. Plus, it's a Kindle, so I'm reading and buying his books. Although, I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite for pure reading.

Speaking of Siri improvements and audio, I'm also keeping an eye on copycat products to the Sonos like LG's GoogleCast. It will be interesting to see what develops there. But as an Apple user and enthusiast, I am looking forward to the improvements with Siri and/or the new platform, Viv.

I think that Amazon has order fulfillment issues on new product combined with design and delivery challenges. I know they did with Echo when it first came out, and the same with Fire Stick TV. But they keep offering bargain basement pricing on things. I bought their 7" Fire Tablet on super sale for $39. It's amazing. For that price? The quality vs price is unmatched. You'd be lucky to get 1/2 that quality at 50 bucks. I use it as much as my iPad. More sometimes. And again, Bezos was smart. I needed an Amazon Fire Tablet like I needed a bloody nose, but for 39 bucks, I had to jump on it. When I'm using it, I'm accessing Fire TV, Amazon Music and Amazon Movies. Plus, it's a Kindle, so I'm reading and buying his books. Although, I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite for pure reading.

Speaking of Siri improvements and audio, I'm also keeping an eye on copycat products to the Sonos like LG's GoogleCast. It will be interesting to see what develops there. But as an Apple user and enthusiast, I am looking forward to the improvements with Siri and/or the new platform, Viv.
Don't know if you saw this article:

http://www.techinsider.io/how-apples-vocaliq-ai-works-2016-5

However, the author seems to think it could help Siri take a big step forward even if Apple doesn't buy Viv. Personally, I find Airplay to be 100 percent reliable in my network (and networks I have used on the road via the AppleTV) and it doesn't get much more elegant than telling Siri what you want to hear or using the app designed by the actual music service. The only thing that could be better is full voice control over Airplay and it would be ideal if this was built into Siri not just a stand alone device. I have seen demonstrations of this with Airfoil hacks on the Echo, but I would love to see Apple come out with a more unified approach.

Hey, thanks for that article, UOMT. I didn't know. VocalIQ sounds terrific. My guess is that's one of the big bumps we'll see in the iPhone 7, of course available with iOS upgrade on 6 and 5. I suspect we'll see Apple Drop the 4s support soon. My 4s is really struggling these days. It reminds me of working on an XP PC with a dual core and 1 gig of ram. You sort of have to be "patient" with it.

Hey, thanks for that article, UOMT. I didn't know. VocalIQ sounds terrific. My guess is that's one of the big bumps we'll see in the iPhone 7, of course available with iOS upgrade on 6 and 5. I suspect we'll see Apple Drop the 4s support soon. My 4s is really struggling these days. It reminds me of working on an XP PC with a dual core and 1 gig of ram. You sort of have to be "patient" with it.
I got my 4s out to update it the other day, it feels sooooo small. However, my phone now is a giant, so I am not surprised. In fairness, the little fella wasn't ever a problem to carry around. The huge 6s Plus can be dangerous if you are carrying it in shorts that have a drawstring and the drawstring isn't tied....just trust me on this one.:yikes:

I got my 4s out to update it the other day, it feels sooooo small. However, my phone now is a giant, so I am not surprised. In fairness, the little fella wasn't ever a problem to carry around. The huge 6s Plus can be dangerous if you are carrying it in shorts that have a drawstring and the drawstring isn't tied....just trust me on this one.:yikes:
Likewise, with a 6S, without including TMI, it can "drop trou" when not expected! I wish my 3GS supported AppleMusic. I love the way that phone is shaped; great fit in the hand. My 4S is the go to AM remote although it doesn't support 5Ghz (802.11ac).

HA HA HA! I believe you. That PLUS is too big for me. I thought I wanted a "Phablet" but that notion has passed. I'll just get the 6s if the 7 isn't to my liking, although I can't imagine I won't love it. My girlfriend has a 6s after trying the Plus for a week. It was way too big for her, but she's not a big girl, so I understand that. Although, the incredible time she spends on social media on that 6s, if I were her, I probably would have stuck out the PLUS until I got used to it because she uses her phone more like a computer anyway. To me, my phone is just a crutch or a temporary tool until I can get to my Chromebook or my iPad. I prefer a keyboard and a full laptop type screen.

Full disclosure.... I'm a bit of an accessory nut. I have about 20 cases including a few leather wallet cases for the 4s. During my travels, I picked up a case in just about every country I toured, and some I bought more than one. In London, I bought three cases in my trips there since I had the 4s. Some of the cases, especially the leather wallet cases, are basically brand new, since I can't use them as a wallet. Too small for me. Just room enough for a driver's license and a 20 dollar bill. So I will be sad when I finally retire the 4s fully, but you are correct, that 4" screen is SO small. Another inch jump to 5" makes a huge difference to my eyes. But the little guy does the job, albeit a tad slowly. I currently have it in a full surround battery case that makes it about 25 percent bigger so it fits my hand better, but that makes the screen look even smaller. :)

My gal has a 6 and it still seems small (not tiny like the 4s) in comparison. I sit at a desk all day during the week, so I like to have the bigger iPhone for reading the news, email, etc when my computers are tied up (like running macros in excel on one and running reports on the other). I could probably get used to a 6, but I just live with the occasional transport issues of the larger size. The battery is supposed to be a lot better on the larger one and it has a optical stabilization on the camera, so that comes in handy.

I can upgrade this year due to the plan that I have with AT&T, but I will wait and see if it is worth it for my needs.

I opened Apple Music looking to see the new MFiT albums and they had "top videos on Connect" in that area. I sure hope this doesn't mean the MFiT suggestions are gone for good. I looked forward to those every week. They repeated a couple of them in the last couple of months, so I had a feeling they might becoming to an end. :mad:

I opened Apple Music looking to see the new MFiT albums and they had "top videos on Connect" in that area. I sure hope this doesn't mean the MFiT suggestions are gone for good. I looked forward to those every week. They repeated a couple of them in the last couple of months, so I had a feeling they might becoming to an end. :mad:

:( I hope it's not gone. You had me hooked on this as well.

I like your style. :thumbsup:

On a positive note for me, it's now only THREE months until the purported launch of the iPhone 7.
Fingers crossed!
I am very curious to see the upgrades they have in store for this next model. WWDC starts a week from Monday, but they won't be announcing iPhones, but I will keep an eye out to see if they are changing up Apple Music.

I am very curious to see the upgrades they have in store for this next model. WWDC starts a week from Monday, but they won't be announcing iPhones, but I will keep an eye out to see if they are changing up Apple Music.

Please do. You are my go-to source for this information. I'm sure any changes will be for the best, but honestly, I can say without hesitation that I love Apple Music the way it stands.

I'm still trying to "Cast" music now and then from my Droid to my Airplay/DLNA receivers. What a PITA. Google "Cast" only works with G-Cast devices, so it does not recognize ANY of my DLNA/Airplay receivers. I'm not buying new "G-Cast" devices, and you can bet the ranch on that. The best I have come up with is BubbleUpNp that can cast well from sources OTHER than streaming. It can cast local media on the phone or other Servers on the Network. However, I can't find anything that will allow a stream source like "Slacker" to be easily cast to DLNA on a Droid Phone. Again, with iOS? Piece of cake with a cherry on top. Elegant as a Ballet Dancer. Droid? Like a Break-Dancer with a broken leg. No Cake with a Cherry. More like burnt toast. ;)

Please do. You are my go-to source for this information. I'm sure any changes will be for the best, but honestly, I can say without hesitation that I love Apple Music the way it stands.

I'm still trying to "Cast" music now and then from my Droid to my Airplay/DLNA receivers. What a PITA. Google "Cast" only works with G-Cast devices, so it does not recognize ANY of my DLNA/Airplay receivers. I'm not buying new "G-Cast" devices, and you can bet the ranch on that. The best I have come up with is BubbleUpNp that can cast well from sources OTHER than streaming. It can cast local media on the phone or other Servers on the Network. However, I can't find anything that will allow a stream source like "Slacker" to be easily cast to DLNA on a Droid Phone. Again, with iOS? Piece of cake with a cherry on top. Elegant as a Ballet Dancer. Droid? Like a Break-Dancer with a broken leg. No Cake with a Cherry. More like burnt toast. ;)
I could live with the service without any changes, since I have used all of them and it is my favorite on iOS. However, there is definitely room for improvement, so I hope they make some of the changes I have been wishing for.

As you mentioned, using iOS with a decent router makes AirPlay work flawlessly in my house and the fact that it works across all apps, it is ideal for my needs.

I have a Chromecast and a Chromecast Audio, but they are just too limited for my needs. For one thing, they don't work with Apple Music. Until that issue is resolved, I just don't think I will use them very often. Neat idea, but not ideal for any of the services I use ( I am also a huge podcast fan and Casting doesn't work with my podcasting app of choice - Overcast). In fact, I also prefer Bluetooth to Casting even if it may not be bit perfect audio.

I could live with the service without any changes, since I have used all of them and it is my favorite on iOS. However, there is definitely room for improvement, so I hope they make some of the changes I have been wishing for.

As you mentioned, using iOS with a decent router makes AirPlay work flawlessly in my house and the fact that it works across all apps, it is ideal for my needs.

I have a Chromecast and a Chromecast Audio, but they are just too limited for my needs. For one thing, they don't work with Apple Music. Until that issue is resolved, I just don't think I will use them very often. Neat idea, but not ideal for any of the services I use ( I am also a huge podcast fan and Casting doesn't work with my podcasting app of choice - Overcast). In fact, I also prefer Bluetooth to Casting even if it may not be bit perfect audio.

I agree. I'm currently Bluetoothing Apt-X with that new $25 Bluetooth Apt-X receiver I reviewed a week or two ago here on this thread. Bluetoothing because I happen to have the music on my BlackBerry 10's SD card and I'm too lazy to use BubbleUpNp to DLNA the music. Actually, Berry (believe it or not) has a really good DLNA Music Server built in, but I have to justify that 25 buck Apt-X receiver purchase so I'm using Bluetooth for the heck of it anyway! HA! :biggrin:. I personally can not tell the difference between Apt-X streaming and WiFi Airplay or DLNA. A true audiophile that has testing equipment can probably show me why Airplay is far superior, but to these ears, it's identical. My BlackBerry 10 came with Apt-X architecture for Bluetooth so what the heck.

Looking forward to hearing & digesting the coming Apple Music revamp at WWDC. For me, AM remains "on par" with the rest and unnecessarily cumbersome. And, frankly...lackluster as to what AM could/should be given their years of acquisitions, deep think tank, and phathomles$ warchest. Since the demise of rdio...they're ALL now pretty much the same cut from the same ol cookie. :cool: Zzzzz......

Looking forward to hearing & digesting the coming Apple Music revamp at WWDC. For me, AM remains "on par" with the rest and unnecessarily cumbersome. And, frankly...lackluster as to what AM could/should be given their years of acquisitions, deep think tank, and phathomles$ warchest. Since the demise of rdio...they're ALL now pretty much the same cut from the same ol cookie. :cool: Zzzzz......
Obviously, people have their own preferences. It is far and away the best for my needs. When I tell Siri to play music, it is the only app that responds on iOS. That made it better than Rdio ever was for my needs and I was a big fan of that service ( it was my favorite after they switched to a higher resolution...which took way too long in my opinion).

The way I interact with it is mainly via Siri, For You, Search, and New...and the stuff I save in the playlist or album sections ( I will occasionally listen to radio - not Beats1, but some of the other stuff). It seems very straight forward and I much prefer the icons at the bottom of the page as opposed to always needing to access stuff via sliding over menus on the left side of the page. It makes it easier to access features with one hand...especially with large phones. That being said, I expect them to continue to change it now that they know more about our habits.

I have posted here and elsewhere the many enhancements I would like to see, but I have no idea if any of them will be addressed.

I just joined YouTube Red for the summer for 99 cents. I still don't like the music service, but it is very basic/clean, so you might prefer it. I just wanted commercial free YouTube and the music is thrown on for free. I like having the numerous options available, even if that means there is more clutter like Beats 1 that I don't use. Personally, it never gets in my way of enjoying the features I do like and I am sure there are people somewhere that want the feature. I have mentioned before that I prefer Photoshop to iPhoto. Photoshop is much more cluttered with stuff I would never use, but it has a lot more stuff I do use than iPhoto. The same premise holds true in this app. Just a different approach and I can see the point of services that are basic like Google Play, but it would be boring if everyone followed that model.

I realize that they need to make it better in iTunes, but that is such a small part of my music listening that it isn't important to me...but like I said, people have their own preferences.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom