Apple Music (On Trial & Onward)

I agree. I'm currently Bluetoothing Apt-X with that new $25 Bluetooth Apt-X receiver I reviewed a week or two ago here on this thread. Bluetoothing because I happen to have the music on my BlackBerry 10's SD card and I'm too lazy to use BubbleUpNp to DLNA the music. Actually, Berry (believe it or not) has a really good DLNA Music Server built in, but I have to justify that 25 buck Apt-X receiver purchase so I'm using Bluetooth for the heck of it anyway! HA! :biggrin:. I personally can not tell the difference between Apt-X streaming and WiFi Airplay or DLNA. A true audiophile that has testing equipment can probably show me why Airplay is far superior, but to these ears, it's identical. My BlackBerry 10 came with Apt-X architecture for Bluetooth so what the heck.
My main issue with Bluetooth is that it doesn't have the range that Airplay has, but I mainly use it in close quarters, so it isn't a big problem. My other issue was having to go into settings to find devices to connect and disconnect them. The "3D touch" feature on iOS has added Bluetooth settings to the pop-up menu, so it is easier to get to now than ever. With my Echo Dot, I can just tell Alexa to connect the iPhone by voice and disconnect it by voice when I am done. I like that approach!

My favorite part of Airplay is that it is built into one of my receivers, so when I send audio from the phone to the receiver, the receiver will come on and turn to the correct input automatically. Also, I have a lot of ALAC files, so I like to hear them in bit perfect format, even if I theoretically can't hear the difference.

Interesting hire. I don't think Apple paid 3 billion solely for Iovine, though. I think a billion dollar a year headphone business and the basis for their streaming service had something to do with it, as well.:biggrin:

The problem with Spotify getting exclusives is their free tier that many artists don't like. Personally, I want Spotify to be around, so I hope this works for them. The competition is important for pushing along new and better features.

My AM trial ended last night so I ponied up the cash to keep the music playing. But ironically I'm listening to jazzradio.com at the moment. I like to mix it up.

I use the KISS approach... No NAS, no vast amounts of music in the cloud. Any music in the cloud has a corresponding CD here that I'll slide in the transport. I'm a data usage nazi so why use precious internet data if I have the media?! Maine is one of Comcasts states where they limit your usage. Currently 300gb per month. After that it's $10 for the next 50gb (not a bad deal compared to cellular). Don't get me wrong I stream a lot but always have a close eye to my usage.

Edit: Comcast ignores the first 3 months over 300gb. After that they charge $10 for 50gb. Sweet. I'm at 82gb for April mtd.
Update: Comcast (for ME anyway) is now allowing 1TB/month. That's a pretty "generous" amount of data.

"On June 1, we increased your data usage plan to 1 terabyte a month. As part of this plan change, you now have two courtesy months to exceed a terabyte of usage without charge."

The verge has the Apple Music demonstration from WWDC parsed out from the rest of the keynote:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11903956/apple-music-update-itunes-redesign-announced-wwdc-2016

A brand new look and some neat features like lyrics and a new "downloaded music" section. I will hold out my opinion about the changes until I try it this "Fall". However, there wasn't any mention of AirPlay, MFiT, or better album/artist overviews.

They also added easier access to music controls from the lockscreen. They mentioned that they were opening Siri up to developers, so I wonder if Spotify and others will have the ability to tap into Siri?

As a side note, they mentioned that they now have 15 million users.

Heh...you beat me to crafting a post. My chicken was on the grill too long. lol

I owe you a reply...and my thoughts on the revamp are coming right up. ;)

Obviously, people have their own preferences.
Indeed. But to be honest, I say that there’s so, so much lacking across and in-between ALL the on-demand services it drives me batty. All they’ve ALL been doing to date is looking at the other guy and punching the template clock. [more later on this point]
When I tell Siri to play music, it is the only app that responds on iOS. That made it better than Rdio ever was for my needs and I was a big fan of that service
Yep, Siri helped cut through a shit-ton AM's convoluted cookie clutter. But the posthumous fact that rdio did not have the benefit of that parlor trick and kicked other ass speaks volumes on how great was rdio's point/click UI design. Clearly their team was actually thinking different.
The way I interact with it is mainly via Siri,
Ayeup. For you (and many others) without a doubt AM's mobile UI with Siri is perty darn nifty. AM on iOS is where it's at without asking more and carries the bulk of the bang for you. For me, that's a fairly big consolation prize when considering a service's overall merit-- across all platforms. I use the desktop a goodly bit of the time and well, AM inside iTunes is both relatively and competitively pretty shitty presently. It's over-thunk and very, very gooey. For my day in-day out, the sniff & usability test says PU. It's so bad it borders on a deal breaker for me.

FWIW, AM comes in a solid third (in a scootch... maybe second) on the desktop. Any chance that has any ring of truth to you as to how bad things are overall in this space? LOL [sigh] WTF
I have posted here and elsewhere the many enhancements I would like to see, but I have no idea if any of them will be addressed.
Aye. heh...you are much more polite & forgiving than I.

Yes. 'All in good time' as you infer. Of course it's all any of us can wait/hope for. But damn...and [rhetorically] just plain double why dayum on WTF are they ALL doing 9 to 5! What are any of them doing to stand out from one another!? Pop music exclusives? Contract deals? Uber tweaking the radius borders on album art? Ptooey! That's rat tail tit-fer-tat losing battles. As a consumer FUH! :mad:
I just joined YouTube Red for the summer for 99 cents. I still don't like the music service [YouTube Red/Google Music], but it is very basic/clean, so you might prefer it.
Ha ha. Nope. Red's pretty cool in it's own lean back happenstance way...but overall it and Google Music IMO is yet another second-thought clock-punch jumble. It has it's place but it's not the best way to enjoy or accumulate a modern music collection. Worse yet, GM leans way too engineered and stark. Looks exactly as I would envision a "coder" seeing things.

I've mentioned before that I have been fortunate enough to have full access comp accounts with Google Music and Spotify. Most recently I was offered a full ride with Tidal. But and up until their demise...I paid for rdio. That's how much better overall rdio was (as a reference remains the high bar for design and non-group think).
Steve Jobs said:
“…. — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex; you have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple.” .
Rdio was collection focused and far ahead of the staus quo today on several fronts. Clean & simple yet it out powered the crowd overall with..get this…useful & complex features without getting in your way. You may not have realized this so much since you mainly use iOS apps …but their desktop blew everyone out of the water speaking not only from a general user but to a music geek standpoint as well. It was brilliant compared to what was (even today) being offered. Their mobile app was nothing to sneeze at either.

Main point being…. They are ALL lackadaisically “ripping us off” so to speak relative to what’s possible in this space. “Us” being those that really give a shit about music, deep discovery, back catalog intel, etc.. Not to mention the extremely silly UI gotchas. For example, Tidal’s quick sand album catalog click . No placeholder nav back to results? Mash anything... sigh…back to the top of the que. Jesus,!

There is so much room (along with no-brainer concepts) where they ALL fall short and apart. None of what I’m bitching about here is Moon shot shit. 50% is just fixing dumbass nav and "Hollywood" goofeyness. I’m only bitchily replying in the Apple Music thread here cause it’s the most current cusp of discussion. That said, given Apple's historical mantra to finesse, their bankroll, shortcut acquisition, and deep talent base…I did expect better. I break their balls with love short tempered horse-whip understanding.

Hambone and shove on all you ol’ nags.:whip:

-----Ooooo, WWDC 2016 was today. Film at eleven (July for hands on…Fall for the masses)

Last edited:
OK. AM's revamp via this screen shot is a step in the right direction. Appears their iOS screens have been put on a strict diet.

Ooooo look. Boldly defined muscle where it should be. Props.

apple-wwdc-2016-web.jpg

Landing page is your collection and focus on your locale within the app.....Very rdioesque. :beerchug:

Way to shave the clutter Apple. See you this Fall.

PS...pssst...where's my metadata bitch?

Looking forward to iOS 10. The downside is my old 4S won't get it. That's my go to AM player when I work from home. Oh well I'll deal with it. The AM changes look promising.

OK. AM's revamp via this screen shot is a step in the right direction. Appears their iOS screens have been put on a strict diet.

Ooooo look. Boldly defined muscle where it should be. Props.

View attachment 747372

Landing page is your collection and focus on your locale within the app.....Very rdioesque. :beerchug:

Way to shave the clutter Apple. See you this Fall.

PS...pssst...where's my metadata bitch?
Personally, I prefer the landing page to be For You, but I am sure I will eventually adapt. I guess if I just leave it open all the time, it will just stay on the last page I had it on, but we will see.

No point in going though all of your points because we have different tastes in how music is delivered to us. Siri is much more than a parlor trick for me, though. I use it multiple times a day. It is great when I know someone has a new album out that I want to hear and I can just say "play Paul Simon's most recent album" and it plays. Having the Apple Watch only makes it better because the phone can be sitting anywhere in my house and I can have Siri play music on the phone and send it to wherever I am via Airplay (button on the watch). To me, this is better than carrying my phone everywhere I go around the house. At work, it means I can connect my phone to a BT radio, then get the phone off my desk and out of my way. I can just whisper to my watch (we are intimate like that) what I want to hear and it plays. I will also look at For You when I am slow, but on busy days it is very convenient. I don't use it as a crutch for the interface, it is just a more convenient way of dealing with music when I am busy, driving or out on the deck and my phone is in the house.

As for your point about iTunes, I think it needs some work. Personally, I use it maybe once or twice a week when I am at the desktop in my home office and while I am able to find anything I want to listen to, I think it could be smoother. If I had my way, it would be more like iOS. It would be a separate app with only the cloud stuff available. If I wanted to listen to my own lossless music, I would prefer having a switch that substitutes my home library for my matched library (similar to turning on Home Sharing in iOS).

Looking forward to iOS 10. The downside is my old 4S won't get it. That's my go to AM player when I work from home. Oh well I'll deal with it. The AM changes look promising.
I saw that they won't be updating 4s. Kind of a bummer, but I am still on the fence whether these changes are worthwhile for the way I use the app. It appears that they added more titles for people that were confused by playlists and albums being intermingled (as one example). By making everything larger with huge titles, I am sure it is easier to use in the car or during workouts, so that may be beneficial to some. With so much space being taken up for titles, that means less music on each page, so it sounds like more scrolling will be required with the new app. I guess they decided the trade off was worth it for those confused by the way it worked before (like finding the switch to show only downloaded music).

I do like the fact that it now has lyrics and it has more features in the control center, though.

This is the first I've read about the 4s not getting updated. A bit of bummer here, too. An un-used 4s plays a TON of music here via FileBrowser, but time moves on so I can't complain.
The bigger bummer here is that the old ipod touch I found a few years ago that that does garage duty has been kinda flaky with FB lately. I've been moving the 4s back and forth between the house and the garage the last two weeks. I'm gonna miss that old beat up touch in the garage. I don't really want to leave the 4s out there like I did with the touch.
My daily driver is still a 5, and I've been holding off to see what shakes down with the "7", "7s", "8", etc going forward. The 5 is just fine for my limited needs, but it might be that I need to upgrade this fall. I was hoping to hold off for as long as possible, but I'm seeing the day that the 4s is in the garage system and the 5 is in the living room system.

This is the first I've read about the 4s not getting updated. A bit of bummer here, too. An un-used 4s plays a TON of music here via FileBrowser, but time moves on so I can't complain.
The bigger bummer here is that the old ipod touch I found a few years ago that that does garage duty has been kinda flaky with FB lately. I've been moving the 4s back and forth between the house and the garage the last two weeks. I'm gonna miss that old beat up touch in the garage. I don't really want to leave the 4s out there like I did with the touch.
My daily driver is still a 5, and I've been holding off to see what shakes down with the "7", "7s", "8", etc going forward. The 5 is just fine for my limited needs, but it might be that I need to upgrade this fall. I was hoping to hold off for as long as possible, but I'm seeing the day that the 4s is in the garage system and the 5 is in the living room system.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios10-prev...07-e41ab694a9cd&mtid=20925e1t39169&aosid=p238

Scroll to near the bottom for compatibility.

Looks like my older iPad 3 isn't on the list, either. A lot of stuff not getting updated this time around, but these older devices start having more and more issues trying to run the last OS, so I am not surprised. I am sure I will be facing this soon with my mid-2010 Mac Mini, but I think I am still going to get the new OS this time around.

I personally was on the fence concerning getting an Apple Watch and updating to the iPhone 7. With iOS-10 and WatchOS, I now have a reason the to get an Apple Watch, I will wait for the 2nd edition, and I will update my 6+ to a 7+. So much of the functionality of iOS-10 is enabled by 3D touch so if I want the full iOS-10 experience I need to update to an iPhone 7 to get it. I also think this time I am going to finally make the move to a MacBook. The rumors about the iPhone 8 seem to indicate it is going to be a totally new device I just might wait for the "8S" to make sure the bugs have been worked out.

Last edited:
Looks like my older iPad 3 isn't on the list, either. A lot of stuff not getting updated this time around, but these older devices start having more and more issues trying to run the last OS, so I am not surprised. I am sure I will be facing this soon with my mid-2010 Mac Mini, but I think I am still going to get the new OS this time around.
Yeah, it's how it goes with this stuff. I'm Ok with it.

Still scratching my head as to why this old ipod touch started getting so fussy. It's running an older version of ios, and an older version of FileBrowser. Has been for quite some time, and worked fine. I guess the old beat up thing is just nearing the end of it's life.

I personally was on the fence concerning getting an Apple Watch and updating to the iPhone 7. With iOS-10 and WatchOS, I now have a reason the to get an Apple Watch, I will wait for the 2nd edition, and I will update my 6+ to a 7+. So much of the functionality of iOS-10 is enabled by 3D touch so if I want the full iOS-10 experience I need to update to an iPhone 7 to get it. I also think this time I am going to finally make the move to a MacBook. The rumors about the iPhone 8 seem to indicate it is going to be a totally new device I just might wait for the "8S" to make sure the bugs have been worked out.
I got a Apple Watch for Christmas. Like you, I was on the fence about it, but I ruled it out until my gf bought it for me. It turned out to be a useful little gadget, especially for controlling Apple Music, Hue Lights, seeing weather, checking my calendar, sending quick-short texts, setting reminders, adding stuff to my grocery list, quickly reviewing email, seeing activity rings, etc. I also like it for answering the occasional call or playing voicemail. The notification feature is probably the best thing about it, though.

The biggest weakness is how slowly it loads third party apps. It looks like they solved that issue. Another thing I wanted was for podcasts to play over the speaker and it appeared that they are giving third parties access to the speaker. I don't think the watch is a necessity, but I I really like it. Personally, I thought the changes to the watch were the highlight of WWDC.

Edit: just saw a hands-on of the AW beta. They now have a complication on the watch face for music. Very cool.

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me that the 4s is finally out of upgrade range. As you gents know, I use it as my daily driver, and it's sorely lacking in processing power. Sometimes, I feel like I should step out and have a cup of coffee while I wait for it to process something.

I ran into some people that urged me to not only look at the SE and the 7, but also the 5s. They said they liked the 5s as well as the SE and it's very inexpensive.
I may get a 5s just to use as a home streamer, as it will be getting iOS10.

After using my iPhone for months now, I'm finally over missing my BlackBerry 10. Much of the smartphone market is "familiarity". If you get used to something, it's hard to change. I do wish, however, that BlackBerry had teamed with Apple rather than Android for a combo phone using BlackBerry HUB with the core software. their Priv where they combine BlackBerry on top of Android is amazing. If they did that with Apple, I'd be in heaven. But all is OK. I'm sticking with Apple. Especially with Apple Music and Airplay. I'm hooked like a Trout on a Mayfly.

My AM trial ended last night so I ponied up the cash to keep the music playing. But ironically I'm listening to jazzradio.com at the moment. I like to mix it up.

I hear that. I use Slacker quite a bit as I truly like their stations for Jazz more than I do Apple Music, and for $3.99 a month for the Plus subscription (Radio Stations Only), it's a bargain for me. The way I look at it, I just pay $14.00 total for my streaming (Apple Music plus Slacker Plus). But I can't do without Apple Music. I'm totally addicted.

Back
Top Bottom