Apple nightmare for ipad and .....

pdm4606

I recently was asked by my wife to add spotify to her ipad. Easier said than done.
First I tried to get spotify to load onto the ipad by going to spotify. No such luck. Completely blocked by Apple by switching to Apple automatically and denying any spotify loading. I then attempted to go through Apple and was told to get new password as all my old passwords have expired. Working with Apple they quickly sent me access to get new passwords. That done I then went to itunes and found the spotify app that needs to be loaded before any tunes can be loaded. They asked for my itunes password that is different from Apple passwords. I finally got to the password page but was told I had to have an account set up to get an itunes password to load the app. I attempted to enter my Paypal information but never found any access for Paypal. I called Apple and talked with them about all these roadblocks they have. They told me they only work with
Apple.pay and I would have to setup an Apple.pay account to get app access. Even if the app is free I need an account with a current credit card.
That is where I stopped. I told them that I only use Paypal for CC purchases. They told me that their system only accepts Apple.pay for itune/app purchases and that was the end of the conversation.
I said that Paypal worked on most of my purchases and I would only use PP. They said that until I decide to setup an Apple account I would not be able to access apps.
Then the conversation ended and my wife will not be able to get spotify on her ipad.
Apple has a terriffic setup guaranteed to make tons of money and to hell with the consumer.
I know I will not be dealing with Apple any time soon.

Paul

Apple only accepts credit cards for payment...and those credit cards are logged to your iTunes account for all purchases- any app purchased through the app store that has a recurring fee is charged to the card on file.

Paypal will be happy to issue you a Visa Debit card that you can use for any merchant that doesn't take Paypal...and there are a bunch of them.

Apple only accepts credit cards for payment...and those credit cards are logged to your iTunes account for all purchases- any app purchased through the app store that has a recurring fee is charged to the card on file.

Paypal will be happy to issue you a Visa Debit card that you can use for any merchant that doesn't take Paypal...and there are a bunch of them.
I didn't know this, but I would go that route if I was the OP. It makes no sense to own an iPad and not be able to download apps from the app store.

You can download apps without having a credit card- but you do have to have a valid Apple ID in order to download any app.

If the App requires payment, Apple processes it...presumably so they can take their cut!

You can download apps without having a credit card- but you do have to have a valid Apple ID in order to download any app.

If the App requires payment, Apple processes it...presumably so they can take their cut!
If that is the case, can't you download the app, sign up for Spotify on Spotify's website and then use the username and password to sign in on the iPad?

As mentioned, you have to have an AppleID to use the App Store. Once there, you can download Spotify. Once Spotify is opened, you enter the Spotify user name and PW. Works that way with every app that has ever been offered for the iPad and iPhone.

Honestly, it seems that the OP went way out his way to make it difficult.

BTW, you do not have to sub to Spotify via Apple, you can open their account in any other way and just enter that password into the app once on the iPad. It's really not all that difficult, and ApplePay has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Most of what I see in this thread is an OP that had no clue of how to use the iPad and upset because it did not work with him doing the wrong thing at every step, then some others using his post as a chance to spread FUD as to "the normal Apple closed experience". Sorry if that's a bit harsh!

UofM has it right, BTW the recurring charge is only posted to the Apple ID card if it is purchased that way (in app) I use Deezer Elite, Tidal, Beats, and have used Spotify and none of them go through my Apple account.

+1 on uofmtiger's post. If you sign up directly with the service and setup payment through them, Apple doesn't charge your card.

I have it set both ways- my HBO Now and MLB Extra Innings a charged by Apple, My Tidal and Spotify are both charged directly as those account were setup on their respective websites

Actually I wish I had done Tidal through Apple as I continue to be billed after canceling and am trying to get it fixed. Would have been easy if it had been Apple.

I have a MacPro computer and an iPhone, my wife has a macBookPro, an iPad and an iPhone -
oh, and a 10 year old iBook that still works. Been playing with macs about 10 years now.
Got Windows and Linux at work - been using computers 25 years or so ...

Don't know why you had such password problems - but if you can't remember them,
get a little book and WRITE THEM DOWN. Keep it in your lockbox where you keep your car titles, passport and such.
Tho I have trouble remembering them sometimes, my Apple passwords have NEVER EXPIRED ...
can't imagine yours did either ...

Mostly ipad and iPhone apps come through the iTunes store.
I do have my VISA loaded to my iTunes store -
have never had a billing problem. Neither of us has EVER installed ApplePay.

Apple makes most of their money on the HARDWARE - iComputers, iPads, and iPhones are pretty pricey -
they actually GIVE AWAY much of their software (IOS for Phones & pads, OSX for the computers) ...
Money from Songs and Apps in the iTunes store is mostly to the Music companies and to the external developers who write the games and apps.

I recently was asked by my wife to add spotify to her ipad. Easier said than done.
First I tried to get spotify to load onto the ipad by going to spotify. No such luck. Completely blocked by Apple by switching to Apple automatically and denying any spotify loading. I then attempted to go through Apple and was told to get new password as all my old passwords have expired. Working with Apple they quickly sent me access to get new passwords. That done I then went to itunes and found the spotify app that needs to be loaded before any tunes can be loaded. They asked for my itunes password that is different from Apple passwords. I finally got to the password page but was told I had to have an account set up to get an itunes password to load the app. I attempted to enter my Paypal information but never found any access for Paypal. I called Apple and talked with them about all these roadblocks they have. They told me they only work with
Apple.pay and I would have to setup an Apple.pay account to get app access. Even if the app is free I need an account with a current credit card.
That is where I stopped. I told them that I only use Paypal for CC purchases. They told me that their system only accepts Apple.pay for itune/app purchases and that was the end of the conversation.
I said that Paypal worked on most of my purchases and I would only use PP. They said that until I decide to setup an Apple account I would not be able to access apps.
Then the conversation ended and my wife will not be able to get spotify on her ipad.
Apple has a terriffic setup guaranteed to make tons of money and to hell with the consumer.
I know I will not be dealing with Apple any time soon.

Paul

Last edited:
+1 on uofmtiger's post. If you sign up directly with the service and setup payment through them, Apple doesn't charge your card.

I have it set both ways- my HBO Now and MLB Extra Innings a charged by Apple, My Tidal and Spotify are both charged directly as those account were setup on their respective websites

Yeah, but you CAN'T get on the Appstore unless you use your iTunes password, and you CAN'T get an iTunes password without giving them a CC#, lest you make in-store purchases and they can't bill you.
My workaround is to simply use a prepaid CC. With the holidays coming, chances are you'll be receiving one or more. I used one up, then gave that # to Apple. It had $0 balance, but since I never pay for anything Apple offers, I don't care, plus it prevents "accidental" in-app purchases (trust me, they are designed to be accidental)

This way you can get the free Spotify app downloaded to the iPad, but continue being billed directly by Spotify using PP.

Hmmm. Well, I'm not an Apple "Fanboy", but I do appreciate their elegant architecture. I have an iPhone and an iPad. Both are being used excessively lately due to Apple Music. Three FREE months is too hard to pass up. But they are not my main drivers. I use an Android Phone for my primary personal line, I have a BlackBerry for my Business line, and I have a Chromebook for my computing needs.

While I prefer Google's Android and my Chromebook, the iPad and the iPhone do have their following, and most will tell you that they are easy to work with. Mine seem to be. I've had no issues. My HBO NOW account is via Amazon because I watch it mostly on Fire TV, but of course I use iPad for it as well. Apple Music is obviously billed via Apple. I have not purchased any iTunes in years and years.

Spotify for iPhone and iPad were a snap to install from the App Store. I used this app extensively until Apple Music's free trial came along. I have said in other threads that I don't think you can beat the gorgeous GUI that Apple's apps provide. Android is not bad, but I have to give Apple the top slot here. What they do, they usually do very well.

All this said, I do sympathize with you, OP. I've had issues with brands and I swore I'd never cross their platform again. I'm very fickle when it comes to platforms. Whatever works BEST at the time is what I go with. If that's Apple, then great. If Google, then that's just as well.

I've only recently started to stream music from iPad to Airport Express. Effin' love it. I use a French based streaming service called Qobuz due to their vast classical catalogue. Now due to their geographic restrictions, getting around THAT was effin' difficult. But the route with Apple was easy peasy. Once you're in, they do make things so much easier. That's just true. At this rate I'm getting rid of all my CDs sooner or later.

But I do get the Big Brother criticism. Fortunately for me my wife's set up all the accounts already. Well the iPad is hers anyway lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, but you CAN'T get on the Appstore unless you use your iTunes password, and you CAN'T get an iTunes password without giving them a CC#, lest you make in-store purchases and they can't bill you.
My workaround is to simply use a prepaid CC. With the holidays coming, chances are you'll be receiving one or more. I used one up, then gave that # to Apple. It had $0 balance, but since I never pay for anything Apple offers, I don't care, plus it prevents "accidental" in-app purchases (trust me, they are designed to be accidental)

This way you can get the free Spotify app downloaded to the iPad, but continue being billed directly by Spotify using PP.
:no:
Create an iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store account without a credit card or other payment method. :D

Tried that too...

As mentioned, you have to have an AppleID to use the App Store. Once there, you can download Spotify. Once Spotify is opened, you enter the Spotify user name and PW. Works that way with every app that has ever been offered for the iPad and iPhone.

Honestly, it seems that the OP went way out his way to make it difficult.

BTW, you do not have to sub to Spotify via Apple, you can open their account in any other way and just enter that password into the app once on the iPad. It's really not all that difficult, and ApplePay has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Most of what I see in this thread is an OP that had no clue of how to use the iPad and upset because it did not work with him doing the wrong thing at every step, then some others using his post as a chance to spread FUD as to "the normal Apple closed experience". Sorry if that's a bit harsh!

UofM has it right, BTW the recurring charge is only posted to the Apple ID card if it is purchased that way (in app) I use Deezer Elite, Tidal, Beats, and have used Spotify and none of them go through my Apple account.

The ipad automatically goes to Apple and blocks the action.
I tried several methods to go around but the only way is through Apple and an active CC for a non transaction.
As for the password from Apple, it took almost an hour to get a new password after I was told our old passwords were dead due to "security" reasons.
All I want is to get spotify without Apple and that seems impossible.
I have spotify on an old ipod, an old smartphone, and a new smartphone. No problem.
Only when I use the ipad do I get the royal run around.

Paul

Looking at AK responses....

Has convinced me that some folks are living in La-La land.
Apple makes money on EVERYTHING. The statement that Apple gives away anything is strictly from another planet. Apple makes $$ on everything. No matter what it is.

As for passwords, we have had this password mess for years. I have never gotten onto Apple the first time in all the years I have been dealing with them.
There is always a catch.
I deal with online suppliers all the time(ebay, banks, shopping, and many others) and never have the runaround like I do with Apple.
What gives them the reason of determining that my passwords have to be deleted because of security? Never a problem with other suppliers.

Maybe it's my attitude but so be it. My attitude is also prevalant with other online stuff and never an issue.

Paul

The original poster is wrong - Apple gives away Operating System upgrades and IOS (iPhone and iPad) updates. As in FREE. No cash/charges involved. Of course, that software ONLY runs on Apple Sold hardware, which is what I said before - they make money on HARDWARE sales.

If he has been PAYING for such upgrades, or has some secret truther document showing how much money Apple made "selling" free software, I'm all ears ...

Just because he remains pissed doesn't change the truth.

Maybe the OP is the one living in Security LA-La land - There was a HUGE hacker breakin on a bunch of sites a couple years back - gawker media, eBay, Paypal and many many others - EVERYONE was "recommended" to change their password. I do think Apple actually forced you to do so ... as they say, for your protection. I know I actually closed some accounts I didn't use much at the time. I didn't "invent" this story.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/26/a-rare-security-breach-at-paypal/

Maybe he never changed his passwords then - maybe his security isn't as good as he thinks - not my concern, but blaming a company because they FORCE you to be secure is a bit much.

My credit card company cancelled my VISA card about a year ago. I never saw a flaw or any false charges in my account, but I trust THEM to look out for me, and they did. I'll admit it was a pain to change the card number on a number of regular accounts I have (Netflix, TIVO, Amazon, Paypal and such)
but losing money via hackers would have been worse.

And frankly, Apple isn't the ONLY online site that will not accept Paypal ...

Has convinced me that some folks are living in La-La land.
Apple makes money on EVERYTHING. The statement that Apple gives away anything is strictly from another planet. Apple makes $$ on everything. No matter what it is.

As for passwords, we have had this password mess for years. I have never gotten onto Apple the first time in all the years I have been dealing with them.
There is always a catch.
I deal with online suppliers all the time(ebay, banks, shopping, and many others) and never have the runaround like I do with Apple.
What gives them the reason of determining that my passwords have to be deleted because of security? Never a problem with other suppliers.

Maybe it's my attitude but so be it. My attitude is also prevalant with other online stuff and never an issue.

Paul

Last edited:
Lest you think I am the complete apple fangirl,
I HATE HATE HATE what they have done to iTunes for Mac,
pasting every new musical gadget they invent into the overburdened interface.
In IOS9, it looks like even Podcasts play in an iTunes like interface.
I don't want to put the 53,000+ songs in my local library on my computer
into the cloud, and I don't want to subscribe to Apple music or any other streaming service, and I certainly don't want iTunes to report back to the Apple Mothership whenever I change something in my local pile of music!

Sounds like an old story from when Apple changed from the Motorola processors to Intel chips - that was a MAJOR shakeup in hardware. Can't really comment on that as there aren't many specifics included.

I do know the last 4 upgrades have been free ... at least 4 years now ...
And my 2009 macPro will accept the newupgrade when El Capitan comes out in October. I do think my Wife's old mac Mini (2008 or so) would NOT be able to install El Capitan - but the mac minis are the cheapest machines they make. and 5 years of upgrades is pretty good as fast as software changes these days.

No they haven't - recently they have, yes, but in the past you were charged(Not for iOS but for OS X). In fact one update, could only be done on computers that where the most high end and latest models (about 3 months old). All the others could NOT be upgraded. If you wanted the latest OS from Apple at the time, you had to buy a new computer. I know this is true because I had this happen to a friend of mine. He bought a new Apple computer, 3 months before the new OS was to come out, He was told this PC should be fine by an Apple store employee. Well, when the new OS came out, he tried and the OS did not upgrade. He took it into the Apple store and was told, if he wanted the new OS, he would have to by a new PC. He said this one is 3 months old, he was told tough luck!!

No - it was to Mountain Lion - He has an Intel I3 chip but it was not supported by the new OS. It was an expensive ultralight Notebook also.

Yep, agreed - that sucks.

not saying you are at all. I just wanted to correct some things.... That is all :D

This is my issue with Apple - http://www.computerworld.com/articl...d-is-near-for-os-x-mountain-lion-support.html

They are on a 3 year OS cycle, meaning if your OS is 3 yrs old, it more than likely will not be supported any more by apple ( no security updates, etc.). Most people can't afford to continually update their hardware just to keep up with the OS releases. AND WINDOWS USERS complained that Win XP lost support after 12.5 yrs......

Yep - But Windows does NOT have the nature of a monoculture - all kinds of varying and differing hardware is out there running Windows.

OSX is all running on Apple designed hardware ...
Perhaps I can't get patches for OSX Mountain Lion right now ... but I don't need to buy new hardware every couple years to keep up.
Even tho my late 2009 macPro came with OSX 10.5 Leopard in Fall 2009, my 2009 macpro can run the new OSX 10.11 El Capitan when it comes out in October (Its a high end machine so I'd compare it to something like the Alienware towers and not some cheap Dell corporate workstation like we have at work). That upgrade will not cost me anything - tho I may break down and add some more memory to the machine.
Photoshop would be happier.

My Wife's iBook (lower budget laptop) is still running some ancient version of OSX - and so she may not be able to get patches for it 11 years on, she can still use MS Word for Mac and do her writing on it. Oh, and surf the web to some degree.

But I think the original argument was
"Macs suck and they don't give ANYTHING away" ... which still isn't true.

Back
Top Bottom