Apple: The biggest scam in retail electronics?

As a long time Apple user, I indeed am sorry that some of you are having problems with Apple products. I guess you picked up some machines made on Friday afternoon or something.

All I can say is that my Indigo iMac 500 MHz machine has run about 12 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year for the last 8 years. It has gone thru 1 CD-RW drive, which I've replaced with a slot loading Superdrive, and I upgraded the HDD drive from 20 gig to 160 gig, not because it failed, but because 20 gigs is smaller than my iPod (eek). The computer has not failed....EVER.

I'll not bash PC's. I will not do that and cause a flame war, but my next computer will be Apple.

You've been running a slot-loading iMac for eight years and it still works? Wow. I got the point where I was swapping piles of burned out analog boards in those things. Bad capacitors and not enough cooling designed into the system.

As a software designer I can say that Apple typically gets the "user experience" better than others. Microsoft tends to get "configurability" better than others. There's a big ugly gap in between.

In the "Biz" we have a quote:
You want Quick, Quality, or Quantity... pick two. Meaning - Deliver quickly, Work without flaws, or Lots of features. You can't make money if you get all three. It's about where you place your compromises.

I love the usability of Apple stuff, but I'm not wild about what I can make it do. Hardware quality of Ipod and other recent equipment isn't overwhelmingly impressive either. I love the flexibility of Microsoft stuff, but it tends to be a pain in the ass to learn & use. Quality is often suspect due to the broad footprint it covers too.

The relative simplicity of quality analog hifi gear is a thing of beauty. The complexity of digital computing products is probably unfair as a base of comparison. This is why I've come home to the beauty of the old-school and it's capabilities. I probably can't get away from the digital world professionally, but personally I feel I can get much closer to the three Q's - at least in the realm of audio - with the vintage stuff than anything I can get as of yet which depends on newer, more complex technologies.

OS X for all it's glitz and glamor just does not strike me as more than a Linux system that is somewhat more refined in user interface but having also an OpenSuse 10.3 system, the spread of sophistication between interfaces is shrinking.

Thank You. Someone else understand the virtues of opensource operating systems like linux and unix. Glad to know if I am nuts at least I have company.

You've been running a slot-loading iMac for eight years and it still works? Wow. I got the point where I was swapping piles of burned out analog boards in those things. Bad capacitors and not enough cooling designed into the system.

I'll take your word for the analog boards. No experience in them so far.

Allright, allright. A couple of beers, a nice steak and I'm feeling better now. Didn't mean to create a swirling cesspool of negativity here. I was just a little frustrated at the time.

For the record, I was always pleasant when dealing with the Apple folk, I understand that you get more with sugar than with vinegar. And my aplogies to the kid I referred to as Zitface.

So, I also know that my experience is not the same as everyones. I've actually had a fantastic customer service experience with Dell (which is not the norm).

That said, I'm not happy with the Mac or the service.

Allright, allright. A couple of beers, a nice steak and I'm feeling better now. Didn't mean to create a swirling cesspool of negativity here. I was just a little frustrated at the time.

For the record, I was always pleasant when dealing with the Apple folk, I understand that you get more with sugar than with vinegar. And my aplogies to the kid I referred to as Zitface.

So, I also know that my experience is not the same as everyones. I've actually had a fantastic customer service experience with Dell (which is not the norm).

That said, I'm not happy with the Mac or the service.

No need to apologize. If you are indeed unhappy with something, then by all means complain. I'm in the same boat as you are with HP.

Well, sorry for your troubles and thanks for Post #46...glad that you're feeling a LITTLE better. Like others, I have used Apples from the beginning...the Apple I, then II, IIc, then IIe, etc. to most all of the Macs (typing this on a very handy little MacBook...and then later edited on an iPhone).

I don't and won't use computers for music servers...yet...my music is still from vinyl and CDs (um...well, I do have an iPod with iTunes, BUT prefer the quality of other formats). I've had decent luck with the Airport and Express, but understand the limitations (local interference and building configuration CAN affect performance). Every computer (and technology) will have limitations...I also have PCs/Windows at work and a substantial server network...costs thousands to maintain every year (with constant software/hardware issues...YUCK!).

Frankly, I've had fewer complaints and lower repair costs with Macs, but that's my experience.

I hope that it gets better for you!

I build my own computers using spare parts. I don't have too many problems, I have one old Pentium III computer I use as a music server with Diamond Cut DC 6 software, M-Audio Revolution sound card, 3 - hard drives and Media Jukebox which is a shareware program which plays all the songs stored on the computer. I can even burn CD's on this unit. All my systems run Windows 2000 which works quite well with no problems. I do not like XP or Vista which cost WAY too much, has too many problems.

I have nothing against Apple, but I think Windows machines you have a lot more choices, by way of parts and software. With parts anyone can scrounge up and put together a good music server very cheap.

What hype?

Unless you go to the MAC STORE (if such a store exists in Canada) I still only see 2 or 3 Mac models vs. 25-30 PC models in most big box stores. Where exactly are you hearing this "hype"?

Many Best Buys have atleast 8 models of Mac's now and their own little Mac playland. And both Dell and Gateway. Lenovo is the only holdout.

As to Macs -- they are great at what they do well. For many people are easy to do and fits all of their basic needs well. Well designed for sure. Personally, the interface is confusing for me, and the price premium is a turn off. Based on my needs, flexibility and variety of cutting edge hardware and support is important and Macs do not excel in either area.

dew.

I'll take your word for the analog boards. No experience in them so far.

The board on top of the chassis behind the CRT is prone to failure. Mainly the high voltage section that powers the tube. Not much in the way of ventilation.

They're tough to replace, now that it's a $75 computer I don't get much work doing that anymore.

I had a similar connection issue with my MBP, and it ended up being the cable companys shitty modem. They replaced it and it now works fine. But it drove me nuts for 3 months.

The hardware leaves a little to be desired, I've owned mine for 1 year and its already had an optical drive replaced, under warranty at a retail store.

The asshole kid at the genius bar and the warranty work "appointment scheduling"? You can keep em. :thumbsdn:

I burrowed in with a cute sounding chick that picked up the phone when I called the Apple Store, asked for a little help, and got taken care of no problem. :D

I still love my Apple computer.

Talking on a G4 right now. I've had this one since 2001, never an issue with anything. I work with PC's at work all day, it's nice to sit down at the Mac in the evening.

I just started a post on how I love my mac and the airport express. I am on my fourth mac, and I have never had any trouble, but I do know people who have. I think it's kinda funny how it's not usually the machines that have problems, but specific people that just seem to get the wrong end of the stick. A good friend of mine had a macbook, It s$%t the bed shortly after getting it, and it was quickly replaced. The next one gave her the same trouble. She is now on machine three, and is still having trouble. I never had an issue with my g4 tower, my g3 ibook, my g5 imac, or my MacBookPro. I guess I just had good luck. I love the mac operating system, and I don't think I could ever go back.

On a side note. Many of my friends in Seattle work for microsoft, and they all now use macs, just running vista and osx side by side. These guys are balls deep in computers all day long, and they all swear by the mac hardware so there must be something to it.

Anyway sorry for your troubles, and I hope you have better luck in the future.

I duno, I have a mix of apples and pc's. The 4 PC's all run linux and one apple runs Leopard and 2 run tiger. Oh and one older (RISC)Sun server running Solaris 10. PCs are a mix of Ubuntu and Suse.

I'v never had any issues, all on a cheap-O wireless router. I'll use anything for an OS except for the MS products. many many years of Windows Network admin has turned me away from the software giant. Just a personal choice... no other reason.

I think if your happy with what you got, run it, if not, there are tons of option out there, find one you like and stick with it.

We don't all have to like the same thing... that is what make each of us, us.

Just my $.02

T

We have a Mac at work for the marketing department. They never have a problem with it... All makes and manufacturers eventually turn out a lemon. I'm sorry they refuse to make it up to you...

Back
Top Bottom