Apple TV and Zone 2

gotvinyl

I have an older Apple TV with analog output (RCA) as well as HDMI, and I use them both. My Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver will only output music to my 4 other zones (kitchen, patio, etc.) if it comes in as analog, so I hook up Apple TV both ways. I stream music from mac to all zones and use the other features through HDMI for my main zone. I have researched this extensively, and even high end off the shelf receivers are all the same - digital input cannot be output to zone 2.

The new Apple TV has digital output only (HDMI and optical). I want to upgrade to the new Apple TV and put the old one in my bedroom where my receiver is analog only. But, I believe this means I have to buy a DAC, hook the Optical output to the DAC, and use RCA out of the DAC for my zone 2 input. Alternatively, I could buy a new receiver that would take a digital input and use it for zone 2 via the optical output of the Apple TV. A Cambridge Audio DACMagic and a Yamaha RX-V667 have similar cost and either would solve the problem.

2 questions:
1. Am I overlooking another good solution?
2. Any comment on the pros and cons of these 2 possible solutions? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom