AR-2ax repair

Michael T.

I am currently bidding on a pair of AR-2ax speakers. My current bid is $27 though I'm sure it will go up before auction is over. I know that they work although I'm not sure if all mids and tweeters work. I know they need re-foamed and the grill material is a bit stained.

I know that these speakers can bring some good money, so I want to repair and resell them. I have a couple questions.

First question, should I use foam surround material for a more original look and feel? Or is there a better option

As old as it is, can the grill material be cleaned and what is the best way to do this.

Thanks

I know that they work although I'm not sure if all mids and tweeters work.
Hi Michael ..... this statement confirms that you really do not know if the speakers work. If mids and tweets are not functional, you'll have four drivers to replace right off the bat.
....should I use foam surround material for a more original look and feel?
Early 2ax woofers have cloth surrounds and later woofers have foam surrounds. Since you "know they need re-foamed", we'll assume later version woofers......but what else besides foam would you consider for replacement?
so I want to repair and resell them.
For a successful 2ax re-sale: grilles can be cleaned, badges should be intact, cabinets should be cleaned/restored, pot controls should be cleaned or replaced, and capacitors should be replaced.

Lots of work ahead for a few dollars gained.

They resell good IF in perfect working order AND all original... do not put in flimsy tweeters instead of original.

You'll be sorryyyyy.

Last edited:
I would pass unless you really want to do this more for the pleasure-learning of the restoration process, and expect a modest return on your invested time and replacement parts and final bid price.
There's a good possibility the pots are corroded causing the mids and tweeters to not function. Replacing, (figure 20-30 bucks each) or cleaning if minimal corrosion, no cost, then your in for just the refoam and new caps.
Correct foams can be bought from ebay seller "vintage-ar" or Rick Cobb.

Good luck!

For the amount of effort to fix them up you wont make a lot if you flip. Those tweeters are a real pita if you ask me. There is also a TON of nasty fiberglass insulation.

Not too bad sounding for how old they are tho.

Thanks for all the input. I am an absolute beginner with all this. I have no idea whatsoever what I am doing, that's why I posted this.

I figured I'd go to $30. If I get them and the cost of repair exceeds my return then I'm out $30 and I'll donate them back to goodwill.

If I find I can get them working for $100 to $150, I'll have a great learning experience, I'll get some of my money back and someone will get a chance to enjoy them.

Thanks for all the input. I am an absolute beginner with all this. I have no idea whatsoever what I am doing, that's why I posted this.

I figured I'd go to $30. If I get them and the cost of repair exceeds my return then I'm out $30 and I'll donate them back to goodwill.

If I find I can get them working for $100 to $150, I'll have a great learning experience, I'll get some of my money back and someone will get a chance to enjoy them.
Or, maybe you'll enjoy them! You have a receiver or amp?

Here's my 2ax story. Found a pair at a flea market in pristine physical condition (yes, cabinets, rear labels and grilles, but no logos) for $10!!!!!. The grilles may not have been original but they are as close to original as my eyes could tell. I could not get the grilles off at the show. Take them home and find that the woofers were replaced with RS substitutes and the dome tweeters were both pushed in. The mids worked OK. Buy original woofers off ebay that needed to be refoamed. Refoamed them and discover one had a magnet assembly that was just misaligned enough to cause a small rub. I wasn't in for an ebay hassle so I bought another woofer that was already refoamed; worked fine. Bought three to get two good ones. Bought a pair of the Parts Express recommended replacement domes with the mating inductor. Buy new caps. Decided to use 8 ohm L-pads instead of the original rheostats even though the rheostats cleaned up perfectly. Did some touchup finish sanding on the cabinets and applied a coat of Watco Danish Walnut stain. (look superb). Sell the old domes on ebay for $40 and two of the four rheostats for $20. My net cost for a beautiful pair was about $210 and I did not buy any brass logos yet.

I never listened to them in their original state but I did a Google search on the RS and AR woofer TS parameters and was surprised to see how close the RS numbers were to the AR. The surrounds were accordian cloth and did not have the long excusion of the AR. They also had smaller magnets. I could actually imagine them sounding OK at very low levels.

Last edited:
If the cabinets are nice everything else can be found if patient.
But if you are wanting to flip for profit remember you make your money when you buy. So don't over spend from the git.

Barney

Let's put things into perspective, anyone who will pay top dollar for AR speakers, would probably not consider an amateur restoration, or the perspective buyer will rather buy an unrestored pair so they can restore themselves. Try not to make anyone's life more difficult, including yours. My kind advice.

.My kind advice.

Didn't exactly sound kind my friend. I have never restored a speaker but I am very good with my hands, I have a BA in electronic engineering, and I have never began a project without plenty of research. I am not going to enter this blindly. If I end up doing this restoration it will not make anyone's life more difficult, not mine or the person who might buy them. It will be a legitimate restoration that anyone would respect.

If this project costs me, I think that the experience will make up for any money I might "lose. But thanks for all the support.

I have worked on quite a few pair of vintage AR's and to me, the element that limits the resale value are ugly grills. Cabs can be oiled and pots cleaned, but ugly grill cloth looks bad and the original cloth is hard to replace. I have had luck giving them a quick clean in the shower. This must be done FAST or the composite material in the grill frames will get waterlogged and disintegrate:
1) set shower to hot
2) give speaker grills a quick rinse - maybe 30 seconds. You will be amazed at the amount of dirty water that will drain off of them. A quick scrub with a horsehair brush will remove even more dirt. Tough stains can be attacked with a bit of soap before the rinse.
3) after the rinse, IMMEDIATLEY wrap the grills in a dry towel and squeeze the water out. Placing a heavy weight like a stack off books on the wrapped grills will squeeze out the extra water and also reset the cloth.
4) after a few minutes, unwrap the grills and place in front of a fan placed on high. You want them dry in 15 minutes. Don't give the water time to soak into the grill frames.
I have had luck with this. A lot more luck than ordering replacement cloth and rewrapping the grill frames. That is a tough job. Good luck.

Didn't exactly sound kind my friend. I have never restored a speaker but I am very good with my hands, I have a BA in electronic engineering, and I have never began a project without plenty of research. I am not going to enter this blindly. If I end up doing this restoration it will not make anyone's life more difficult, not mine or the person who might buy them. It will be a legitimate restoration that anyone would respect.
Hey sorry, that did come off a bit snarky. The AR following is fickle and we want perfection. You're qualified and up for the task, which is all that's necessary.

I saw the speakers on the Goodwill site, and they look very good, but it's unusual to see the early tweeter with the later woofer. If the price is right, I suggest you buy them and try your hand at restoration - - it's the only way to learn. Nonetheless, many members here are enthusiastic to offer support to projects intended to provide aural enjoyment to another member, but will sometimes bristle at the idea of seeking advice for the purpose of flipping equipment for immediate profit. As a former Hoosier myself, I have been enjoying AR speakers for 45 years and still remain loyal to the early brand. Perhaps you'll become a convert, too?

2ax goodwill.jpg

Thank you CJVx. I get where you're coming from. I think that the fact that my plan was to purchase strictly to flip upset some people. These are speakers that deserve respect and care. I hope I can do them justice.

Jereostereo, thanks so much for the advice on cleaning the grill material. That was my biggest fear, knowing that the material is so old.

I may well find that I appreciate them, especially after doing the restore myself. I'm looking at possibly setting up a purely music setup in my home office. These may be a good place to start.

I may well find that I appreciate them, especially after doing the restore myself. I'm looking at possibly setting up a purely music setup in my home office. These may be a good place to start.
I think these would be an excellent choice for your office setup, and looking forward to following along as you progress.

Back
Top Bottom