AR-94 Sx's One more "project" hidden in the garage..

OMI

$20.00 at the Goodwill today. They are a 8/9 out of 10 cosmetically. Have not popped the base to drop the grill cloth to see what the drivers look like. Will do that when it warms up... 21 degrees this morning in lower Alabama... Did some looking on the board and looks like I will be trying my hand at crossover updating at a later date:) I have them next to 2 other sets of speakers... Lets see how long it takes the wife to notice:)

Another popular mod is to upgrade the cone tweeter! I updated the ones in my 92's to a Morel dome MDT 30 model and recapped the network- made a huge differance! I use mine now for rear channel in my HT room, they would make great front channels as well. I am an AR "Sock" model fan- they were some of the best made in their size. I bet you are gonna like 'em.
DC

I have 93's and 94's. Good speakers. I agree with DC, swap out the mediocre paper cone tweets for some good soft domes. I went the cheaper rout as mine were free speakers and put $11 Dayton soft domes in mine, sound excellent. They will need refoamed, they all do. :D

Pix of replaced tweets...

3963651_e3885b6c37.jpg

3963652_163c253f5b.jpg

Smoking units though Kfa.... to say the least! You've got some cool stuff! I need to be a speaker piggy!:yes: Brad

Smoking units though Kfa.... to say the least! You've got some cool stuff! I need to be a speaker piggy!:yes: Brad

I have never notice you have a lack of good stuff ether. :thmbsp: I would say my collection of stuff is just OK comnparied to a lot of folks here. Mid-fi but good mid-fi and I'm cool with that as this point because i do not ahve a deticated listening space or "man cave". Some day semi soon i will and then I'll g
et some higher end dedicated gear.

The AR94's actually surprised me and were better than I figured they might be, especially after the dome swap out.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about "upgrading" my T.V. (purchased waaaaay back in '94) to one of those sleek new fangled models....:) If I do that I will also get the "home theater" thingy:) Have to do some research on both and then the AR-94's will most likely become part of the "home theater" after I get in and fix 'em up. They do look nice... I almost passed them by thinking they were some kind of end table:)

Your right "they all need to be refoamed" mine do also I have decided to keep them and do so.Does anyone know the specs?

Your right "they all need to be refoamed" mine do also I have decided to keep them and do so.Does anyone know the specs?

Are you talking about the foams? If so I did mine with the 99 cent wonders from here...

http://www.matelectronics.com/acatalog/Mat_Electronics_Speaker___Accessories_11.html

and they fit/work great.

Have to do some research on both and then the AR-94's will most likely become part of the "home theater" after I get in and fix 'em up.

I was using mine from mains in my down stairs HT for quite a while, works great for that. I have 2 sets of 94's and a set of 93's which some day will be a 5.1 system i think.

BTW - Right now i have EPI 120c's stacked on Wharfedale W60 for the mains, that works surprisingly well also. It's a good stack combo as each is very supporting of the others shortcomings. The EPI mid suck out of gone with the mid heavy W60's.

PE has these tweets for $18.00 EA. Good replacement for the factory ones??

Let me know and if so I will order 2 to replace the factory ones.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=279-140&CFID=16849622&CFTOKEN=36659282

Alesis 1" Shielded Soft Dome Tweeter
Specifications: *Power handling: 40 watts RMS/80 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.0 ohms *Frequency range: 3,000-20,000 Hz *Fs: 1,500 Hz *SPL: 93 dB 1W/1m *Dimensions: A: 3-3/4", B: 3", C: 1-3/4".
1" treated fabric dome
Fully shielded design
Horn loaded faceplate for high efficiency

PE has these tweets for $18.00 EA. Good replacement for the factory ones??

Let me know and if so I will order 2 to replace the factory ones.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=279-140&CFID=16849622&CFTOKEN=36659282

Alesis 1" Shielded Soft Dome Tweeter
Specifications: *Power handling: 40 watts RMS/80 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.0 ohms *Frequency range: 3,000-20,000 Hz *Fs: 1,500 Hz *SPL: 93 dB 1W/1m *Dimensions: A: 3-3/4", B: 3", C: 1-3/4".
1" treated fabric dome
Fully shielded design
Horn loaded faceplate for high efficiency

The Daytons i suggested were, to me, a perfect balance and no XO mods needed. Blend very well and nice balance with the rest of the speaker. They are cheaper at $15.50. The main thing with them is the 93 DB sensitivity of the Alesis ones. My Daytons are 89 DB so i think the Alesis will end up being pretty bright and forward with no way to attenuate them. Additionally the Daytons are spec'ed to reach lower, this might be a good thing as it is crossing to an 8". And, the Alesis is a 4 ohm driver, i think the stock one is 8 ohm. I believe it was Gordon who pointed me in this direction and he seems to know a thing or two about speakers. :D

Specifications: * Power handling: 50 watts RMS/75 watts max * Voice coil diameter: 1-1/8" * Nominal impedance: 8 ohms * DC resistance: 5.4 ohms * Frequency response (± 2 dB): 2,000-20,000 Hz * Fs: 907 Hz * SPL: 89 dB 1W/1m * Magnet weight: 6 oz. * Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 4-5/16", Cutout Diameter: 3-1/8", Mounting Depth: 1-1/8", Magnet Diameter: 2-3/4", Magnet Height: 1-1/8".

You will have to hog the hole out some as the magnet does not quite fit in the cab. Sonically it is an excellent match.

What's wrong with the AR cone tweeter? Limited dispersion or something?

- Prone to failure (2 or 4 were bad on my two sets)

- IMHO the Daytons sound WAY better. Smoother, seem to have more HF and sparkle, less harsh / edgy etc.

- Much cheaper than stock replacements from the net or other places. I was quoted about $40 ea. for the AR replacements.

What's wrong with the AR cone tweeter? Limited dispersion or something?

I used Morels in my AR93s just because I had them laying around, they sounded very good, so I left them there. They do have better HF extension than the cone tweets.

AR94 Specs

Anyone have a copy of the spec sheet for the AR94s? Also the dates of
manufacture (from-till)?

Cheers,

Phread

AR94 tweeter mod

Another popular mod is to upgrade the cone tweeter! I updated the ones in my 92's to a Morel dome MDT 30 model and recapped the network- made a huge differance! I use mine now for rear channel in my HT room, they would make great front channels as well. I am an AR "Sock" model fan- they were some of the best made in their size. I bet you are gonna like 'em.
DC

I know this thread is old but quick question: I have a couple AR94 that I'm restoring...when you replaced your tweeters with the Morel type did you have to bore out the hole a bit like others have done with Daytons? I'd prefer not to...I can...but I'm lazy. Thanks, -Joseph

Back
Top Bottom