AR XD turntable help

You dont have to break the bank to get her started but keep in mind the preamp will mean the difference between a decent sounding system and one that sounds like crap. My advice if you want to get her started on a budget would be to subscribe to Barter Town here or check your local Craiglist and find a decent vintage receiver and speakers. I bought my daughter a 70s vintage pioneer for $125 I think and found a pair of AR4 speakers for $40. Not much more than you are planning to spend and with her Dual 502 turntable is a great sounding little system. And it is no where near the level of the AR table you have.

You have to realize that regular RCA inputs and 1/8 phono jack inputs are between .5v ( 500mV ) and 2v ( 2000mV ) .
where as a phono cartridge of Moving Magnet type ( mm) is any where from 3-6mV . Way below the input level
of the least amount 500mV. So you need a phono pre amp to boost the cartridge signal to the levels accepted by standard RCA inputs , that is for a CD, Tape deck or
iPod etc.

Nashou

That is one hell of a starter turntable if properly setup. Maybe keep it for yourself and find something else for her. :)
She loves vinyl records, and her grandfather left it for her, so very sentimental... would love to set up something simple without spending a small fortune..

Like folks are saying - your best bet is to find a nice receiver/ampifier and speakers from Craigslist, Goodwill, a local pawn shop or even a local vintage electronics store. The turntable has to be plugged into a "phono preamplifier" input, which corrects and amplifies the sound properly so that it will sound like it should.
You could buy these items separately, but the easiest thing to do is by a receiver that has everything integrated.

Back
Top Bottom