AR3a HELP!!

VINTAGEO

Newbie in New B.
I have a chance to get these AR 3a's for a good trade, but I am concerned about the woofer.
Do these appear to be correct?ad_0_1507680183238 (1).jpg ad_1_1507680183243 (1).jpg ad_2_1507680183246 (1).jpg ad_3_1507680183251 (1).jpg AR3a 001.jpg AR3a 002.jpg

Those are vintage woofers, and they appear to have the truncated AR frame. So, they seem to at least be AR woofers, but maybe someone used different styled dust caps when the woofers were refoamed. Those should be worth a trade.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by truncated.. and just to be clear AR3A's not AR3, i think there would be a significant difference. The only thing I see incorrect is the dust cap, possibly the wire leads look long(AR QC?) I have seen other newer AR3A's with same woofers, unless it's the same set..lol
I am no expert though and hence the question..

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by truncated.. and just to be clear AR3A's not AR3, i think there would be a significant difference.
I am no expert though and hence the question..

Truncated means that two sides of the woofer frame have been cut down flat to fit on that baffle. They look all original, except for the dustcap as already stated. It all depends on what you're trading to get them.

VIntage & I have been talking about these via PM's. They are clearly AR woofers. The question is are they original 3a woofers. The dust caps don't look original to me, but replacements from when they were refoamed. There's woofer images in the AR3a restoration guide, though not all show the magnets.
There's a thread on the CSP site about AR9's, and Roy C. mentions the 9's woofers with a pic, that shows the same magnet as shown in the above pics. It would be helpful to see the top of the magnets to see what numbers are stamped on them.

I restored a set of 3a's last spring. One had a service replacement woofer, also used for the AR9 among others. I could not hear any difference in sound between them. I asked Roy about it and he told me they all pretty much sound the same.

Looking forward to what others opinions are.

Those are vintage woofers, and they appear to have the truncated AR frame. So, they seem to at least be AR woofers, but maybe someone used different styled dust caps when the woofers were refoamed. Those should be worth a trade.

Ha you changed your answer, I was answering yours then mine made no sense anymore, lol
My AR9 woofers for reference if helpful. Look similar.
View attachment 1022485 View attachment 1022486 View attachment 1022488

These don't have the indentations on the magnets..

Truncated means that two sides of the woofer frame have been cut down flat to fit on that baffle. They look all original, except for the dustcap as already stated. It all depends on what you're trading to get them.

Fisher Integrated. amp

Back
Top Bottom