Are any of you folks using HOOPLA Digital from your library"

Discussion in 'Streaming Services' started by olson_jr, Jul 10, 2017.

1. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

What the heck is all the Hoopla Digital about?

Are any of you folks using HOOPLA Digital from your library systems?

Does anyone else even know that there is a free streaming service for music and movies offered at many libraries called HOOPLA?

As TIDAL does not have ECM titles available I have been searching out interesting ECM CDs from our Library System. Recently, some of the new titles have only been available via HOOPLA Streaming, so I figured I would give it a try. Sign up and set up seemed easy enough and now I have access to many ECM titles both new and old. Actually, much more as HOOPLA says that it has hundreds of thousands of titles available.

You can borrow 20 titles a month, the music files are good for 7 days.

The sound quality seems pretty good, not sure what they are streaming at but they light up the 44.1K light on my HRT iStreamer DAC.

I can stream via my computer or download to my iDevices to listen when I hike or in the car or at the pool.

We have also watched a couple of movies on the laptop when we're traveling.

All in all a nice way to listen to & discover new music.

Check it out. https://www.hoopladigital.com

upload_2017-7-10_11-24-22.png

Rockyhill likes this.
  2. Rockyhill

Rockyhill AK Subscriber Subscriber

Unfortunately my library does not participate :no: I like the concept, however.

olson_jr likes this.
  3. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

I thought I was the only one here who used it. Any time I've mentioned it I heard crickets, lol.

I'm not a regular user, but I really enjoy it for trips.
    A couple of things I noticed; We have three active library cards here, so 'my' monthly limits are tripled. I just need to sign in with each card #.
    I've also noticed that bigger boxset-type collections only count as 1 item, so I can really load up a player for road trips. They have some great jazz boxes available.

The last time I tried the offline listening mode it had issues, though. Not sure what the problem was, but it was frustrating.

My library also has a few other cool free online listening options. One is the Naxos library. It's HUGE!

olson_jr likes this.
  4. olson_jr

Fron their help page:

What can I do if my library does not offer hoopla? (Rev. 4/2017)
    hoopla digital wants to partner with your local library. If we are not currently partners, you should express interest at your local library branch.

5. Rockyhill

Rockyhill AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks, I saw that.

Are you only borrowing what your library has or do you have access to a larger collection?

6. olson_jr

@Rockyhill

Borrowing from a much larger collection than my local library, (actually larger than the combined Libraries in Michigan) which is the hoopla digital collection.

Just wondering what, or how far, you can get at https://www.hoopladigital.com without Library Card access?

7. juno

juno Super Member

It is a service libraries pay for to provide to their customers. The content is through Hoopla and is not related to the physical collection that your library owns. My wife uses it to watch movies. There is another service called Freegal that actually allows downloads of digital music that you can keep, unlike Hoopla. I prefer Freegal for music although it takes about two weeks to download an album because we are allowed 8 songs a week. I sometimes use my wifes card number so i get an entire album at once. I havent used it lately, but it used to contain things mainly under the sony umbrella. Ill have to check it out again to see whats there. I wasvable to download a few things that are difficult to come by.

8. juno

juno Super Member

You will not get far at all.
    If you have a relative in a state or city with a library system that offers this service, you could ask them if they will give you their library card number.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. juno

juno Super Member

Yes they have an impressive collection of jazz and boxsets in general. It would indeed be great for trips. I was really excited when systm i work for got this service. I was immediately dismayed when i went to a training on it and found out that you cannot keep the content. I mean who can listen to an entire boxset that quickly. I hadnt thought about a situation such as yours.

10. Leebob

Leebob Work Smart Not Hard Subscriber

IMG_0005.JPG I signed up this morning. Downloaded Gregory Porter-Take Me To The Alley:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    KrisM and olson_jr like this.
  11. ronscat

ronscat Active Member

I like your setup there Leebob. What is the tube thingy?

Leebob likes this.
  12. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

Yeah, it can be tough getting through that much music in a week. It would be nice if they bumped it up a bit. I think when I borrow an actual CD from my library I get three weeks. And I can renew a couple of times, as long as somebody else doesn't have a hold request for it.

juno likes this.
  13. olson_jr

I have been able to renew music as long as I am not over the 20 borrows monthly limit. It has gotten strange at times and once I had to delete and redownload a recording.

14. juno

juno Super Member

Our system allows 49 items to be checked out at any given time. DVD and CD items are only one week though. When you check them out you can ask for maximum renewals (2) to get more time, as long as there are not pending holds.

15. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever tried to renew anything with Hoopla.
    I've re-borrowed stuff, though. One of my go-to borrows for trips is a 7(?) disc Dizzy Gillespie small groups boxset. Great from start to finish, and perfect driving music.

Leebob likes this.
  16. Leebob

ronscat, sorry I missed your question. It's a pre amp tube buffer from China. The tablet>tube buffer>aux input on Kenwood.
    IMG_0001 (2).JPG
    I fabbed a 1/4 alum base with rubber feet and the box has the transformer inside and a power switch on the back.

ronscat and olson_jr like this.
  17. Leebob

Still using Hoopla:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    IMG_0001 (2).JPG

18. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

I use Hoopla. It's a great service. I mostly use it to check out new albums before buying them. At my old job I would check out some music and listen all day. Can't do that at my current job.

Leebob and olson_jr like this.
  19. Leebob

Checked out Duane Allman's Anthology 2 and Tom Waits- Blue Valentine today:music:

20. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

While I have access to practically all the music I want via promo/review releases...and Premium streaming services, Hoopla's public library access is definitely a great free music resource for those that do not.

Personally, I'm more intrigued & interested in their audio books. They don't have everything...but they do have a good number of premium titles. More than enough for someone to reconsider an Audible subscription. :)

KentTeffeteller and Leebob like this.