Are AV mcintosh good for Stereo listening ?

no_sound

Trying to buy my first mcintosh here..

5k for an integrated amp is a huge chunk of money for me.. and frankly im not sure i will be able to throw that kind of money right now... (i work part time..and have kids)

I have about 2k saved and looking for a used one something not too old, something with atleast banana sockets in the back and a nice looking illuminated front.

The only amps that seems easier to find used are the AV amp from Mcintosh.. most of them are in the 2k range.
But since i just want to listen to music (turntable and flac server) i need a mcintosh in the $ 2k range... and all i could find were the AV ones..

There are so many model numbers that it is confusing for someone who did not follow mcintosh history.

Before you answer my question, just keep in mind that i don't know much about mcintosh except the sound quality. And yes i have auditionned many at my local store ( i was pretending that i could afford one) but the truth is i can not spend money i don't have. i mean i don't have 5k..and probably never will..

For $2k you are looking at an older McIntosh integrated amp. Anything relatively new would be out of your price range. You might look at another manufacturer like Parasound instead. That or save up your money for awhile.

The main question is:

Are AV mcintosh suitable for stereo listening ? by AV mcintosh i mean those with built in AMP and speakers out. meant for surround.. Are they good for stereo music listening.

If you compare the S/N ratio on the Mac preamps VS AV preamps you'll see they are the same or nearly so. For your budget you can get a nice amp and AV preamp and move into a newer preamp later if you so choose. I've had several older preamps and the C-39 has a great phono stage in it and they are pretty cheap these days. As the AV technology changed so rapidly these older AV preamps & integrated amps do not appreciate like the non-av gear does.

to my knowledge, which isn't much, McIntosh only makes AV preamps/processors, so you'd still need a separate power amp. I don't know of any multichannel McIntosh AV receiver.

Last edited:
There is no reason that any well designed AV system should not sound good with music.......the movie makers certainly are not afraid of spending big bucks to make the musical scores they purchase special.....

Why do so many theater systems sound bad for music....poor speaker implementation in most cases....

If you want a theater system to watch movies with the family it takes careful design considerations to keep the improper theater decision from affecting good sound for music.

You could build a exception music system around a McIntosh MAC4100 receiver from the late 70's early 80's well within your budget. Just make sure it is properly restored with a warranty by a experienced restorer.

It will hold it's value if you want to go bigger in the future and has always been a excellent first step into McIntosh.

There's also something similar at my local shop for $1500... its an old integrated stereo model with fake wood cabinet.. but they will charge me the taxes which will pump the price..

It seems i have 3 choices (if i want a full mcintosh kit under 2k )

1- Poweramp + AV amp
2- Old integrated Amp
3- mcintosh car radio ? (can anyone confirm ?)

If i choose option 1: will i have problem reselling it ?. AV don't seem to sell as quickly as real stereo ones
If i choose option 2: what about repair.. i was told that many knobs are difficult to repair DIY... that they have gas in it ?
if i choose option 3: will i have powersupply issue or poor sound quality ?

Should you buy off Ebay be ready for disappointment . If it's not shipped in factory boxes or by someone who cares about packaging it will arrive in pieces. Just search this forum for horror stories. If I'm spending my hard earned money on gear I want it restored if vintage and in pristine condition from reputable dealer. Only exceptions for me are Craigslist and buying from a friend where I can go inspect & listen before buying.

Car radio is for 12 volt cars.....

What model integrated is local to you.....only the MAC4100 receiver came with a vinyl cabinet.

A local purchase from a reputable restorer is certainly a path with much fewer chance of grief......paying Caesar his fair share is certainly cheaper than dealing with epray.

If it's not shipped in factory boxes or by someone who cares about packaging it will arrive in pieces..

oh yea man, you're probably right about this. ..not to mention the carrier who throw every heavy boxes on the concrete floor

the problem is that i rarely see anything in the 2k range in my area.. everytime i see one for sale it is atleast 3.5k.

there are plenty of random 2k tube and ss amps for sale.. but i want mcintosh.. nothing else.
when you want an harley you do not want a honda...

even within 200 miles radius there is nothing decent around 2k. i don’t like to overpay for something too old either
especially when all i need is to find another 2k to get something like the ma252 with full warranty...

its just that 4k is a real fortune for me now that i have kids. back when i was living with my parents 4k was almost nothing but now that i have to pay my own bills .. even mcdonald seem expensive...

what about option 3? mcintosh car hud?

Be patient, save a little more money and watch for a good used MA6500 integrated amp. It will provide everything you want and should be found in the $2,500 price range. It was the first McIntosh item I owned and I enjoyed mine for over ten years. Although it's not as well reviewed, an MA6300 should also be close to your price point.

its just that 4k is a real fortune for me now that i have kids. back when i was living with my parents 4k was almost nothing but now that i have to pay my own bills .. even mcdonald seem expensive...
or put that money into a college fund for your kids and worry about a McIntosh when McDonald's doesn't feel like a luxury.

Last edited:
A great place to tip ones toe in the waters of McIntosh would be the venerable MA6200. Even today, these are a phenomenal integrated amp. For a few dollars more, one can also buy the MAC4100 receiver and you get an excellent performing tuner to boot. Either can still be had from a place like Audio Classics for well within your budget.

A great place to tip ones toe in the waters of McIntosh would be the venerable MA6200. Even today, these are a phenomenal integrated amp. For a few dollars more, one can also buy the MAC4100 receiver and you get an excellent performing tuner to boot. Either can still be had from a place like Audio Classics for well within your budget.

These options are what I recommend for your budget for McIntosh. They both are superb options.

From what I read, you really want a BMW but can only afford a VW Bug. If you buy some lesser, older McIntosh piece you will end up being disappointed. I would suggest a different game plan or wait and put more money aside and then buy the proper thing.

Has the OP picked out his speakers yet?

The correct place to start is the right speakers that will work well in his space and then the correct electronics to drive them will become more clear.

it is tricky to order online... it would be a blind purchase if i do that.

There are several old models within my budget limit.. but the problem is that i don't know how they sound.

My local store told me that they don't sound as good as new ones... They have a 4275 but the guy says that it is a good amp but nothing like new ones.. That it won't be an upgrade to modern amp like Rega Brio / Cambridge Azur... So i will skip the 4275 if it sounds like an ordinary Marantz.

As for the 6450, i have no clue how they standup against MA252. I know that i really like how the MA252 perform. The sound quality was excellent.. exactly what i am looking for. But the MA252 does not allow two set of speakers.. I like to switch speakers...

The 6450 does have multiple speakers connector but not Banana.. i think you have to buy something to add banana sockets..
But like i said i have absolutly no clue how the 6450 sound compared to the MA252.

The 6450 is indeed within my range. but the front looks very 90's ...

MA252 = 3500 before taxe (new) no shipping involved
4275 = 1500 before taxe no shipping involved
6450 = 1700 before taxe and shipping cost involved. no phono input but with two possible set of speakers
6300 = 2495 before taxe and shipping cost involved. with phono input but only 1 set of speaker at a time..

Last edited:
Ultimately the electronics will sound only as good as your speaker choice allows you to hear.

Until you pick out your speakers all this talk is pure window dressing ......

Right now im using ProAc and BW and i want both to be connected so i can choose... people on budget build slowly peice by peice..
There is no need to upgrade everything at once.. you can certainly upgrade the amp now, speakers tomorrow, cables next year.. There is no rush.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom