Are McPrices Getting Soft?

In the Bay Area, plenty of excellent FM. A glut of college radio, community programming and public. Can pretty much always find something worthwhile to listen to. And while I do stream, a good tuner/roof top antenna combo beats it hands down.

Would it be wrong to say

FM : streaming/XM
as
Vinyl : CD ?

:idea::
Depending on the tuner, yes IMO. My MX110 is ‘spooky real, like in the room with you’ when listening to the DJ talk between tunes on a jazz college station I listen too. Definitely more variety of music with streaming though.

Last edited:
I have an MX110 which is very good but the DXing ability of the MX113 is much better. The MR80 knocks them both out - albeit not the fairest comparison considering the latter is a standalone tuner and far more expensive than any two-channel McIntosh tuner-preamplifier.

All my McIntosh gear has come from Audio Classics. I only buy recent models, so maintenance should not become an issue in my lifetime, or darn near. I believe I've had very good advice, including being steered away from items that in retrospect, I was wise not to purchase.

So far, purchases include two MAC6700 receivers (both with TU2 HDFM tuner modules), an MA5200 integrated amp, and a wonderful MR88 tuner. I can't speak to tuner values, but the MR88 to me was an outstanding buy and delivers at every level.

I'm buying for sound, for the enjoyment of music across multiple systems in multiple locations, not as an investment.

Audio Classics pricing is fair, I've been treated very well, and I have confidence that the gear that is delivered is in top condition. By buying second hand, I also avoid the scalping that comes when you buy new and then find you have to sell into the used market.

That seems like the best strategy to me.

Sounds to me like you simply purchased units at prices that you perceived were a value - when in reality, you paid commensurate with the market.
I did VERY well reselling my Mc2300’s this year.
However, my c-39 preamp is functionally obsolete, and would not bring much in the open market, in spite of its original $4700 price tag.( It’s not for sale anyway)
It all boils down to demand for a particular unit.

Last edited:
They way many are streamimgmusic now has reaaly made FM obsolete it seems, I grew up in the NYC area when FM radio was about the best in the country but times have changed
Yeah, maybe tuners are softening, but I just had a look at pricing for amps, I bought a mint MC2205 about 7 or 8 years ago for $1800US, you'd be lucky to find one for that sort of money now I'd say...

I did VERY well reselling my Mc2300’s this year.
However, my c-39 preamp is functionally obsolete, and would not bring much in the open market, in spite of its original $4700 price tag.( It’s not for sale anyway)
It all boils down to demand for a particular unit.
The C39 will never recover as an AV unit but my guess is that it will stabilize in the +/-$1,000 range as a really, really nice two channel preamp. I bought my MX130 in that price range strictly for two channel and it has been a terrific piece of audio.

Yeah, maybe tuners are softening, but I just had a look at pricing for amps, I bought a mint MC2205 about 7 or 8 years ago for $1800US, you'd be lucky to find one for that sort of money now I'd say...

All tuners are soft in the market now. I sold off a very nice Magnum Dynalab tuner, Signal Sleuth, and matching MD antenna about a year ago. Comparing it to streaming FM, from literally anywhere in the world with crystal clear sound....keeping the analog tuner setup didn't make sense. The station options and clarity stomped what most would consider a well above average tuner setup.

Tuners are not cheap in the Bay Area, most tuners that I come across are $500-1000 easy. And that's unrestored, needing an alignment, etc. Radio is still good out here, but mostly I'm guessing it's because it's the region, where deals of any kind are almost impossible to find.

They way many are streamimgmusic now has reaaly made FM obsolete it seems, I grew up in the NYC area when FM radio was about the best in the country but times have changed

The recycled playlists that these stations are a joke.Back in the day each DJ on WNEW Fm in New York City were theirown program directors and played what they wanted to based on thier mood. Anyone hear ever listen to the late Alisson Steele ? truly one of the best ever.

The recycled playlists that these stations are a joke.Back in the day each DJ on WNEW Fm in New York City were theirown program directors and played what they wanted to based on thier mood. Anyone hear ever listen to the late Alisson Steele ? truly one of the best ever.

Luckily there are many stations are out there still doing free form, that do not use playlists. Look towards the left of your dial. College, community, etc.

We still have radio like this in NZ....Very much worth having a decent tuner where I live...

The C39 and MX130 are tremendous bargains as two channel preamps if found for $700-$800 in good condition.

I just purchased a C39 off Agon in this range as my first McIntosh purchase. Very excited about it. Now, to find a good amp that won't break the bank and has similar aesthetics. Sort of wish I had gotten the MX130 is retrospect, as having the option of radio for virtually free seems like a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom