Are these Genuine Shures? Help please

OnlyStantons

I posted these earlier in Dollars & Sense and their seems to be a few who believe these are not the real deal, and a couple that agree with me that they are the genuine article 2-Shure V15 Type II and 1- N93E.
Help I'm so confused.

P1100461.JPG P1100462.JPG P1100463.JPG P1100464.JPG

Ask a Mod to move your thread to Turntables, or close the first and make this one current.
It's no big deal, especially now since we are trying to determine the authenticity, which I too am interested in.

Not OEM. That's not Shure packaging from that era. Looks like Pfansteil packaging.

Cheers,

David

Yes, genuine Shure. Just repackaged by Fidelitone so they would fit within their proprietary numbering system and in the retail dealer drawer cabinets. If they did not do this the retailer could not file them in any semblance of order, since each manufacturer used their own style packaging and numbering system. NO AFTERMARKET SHURE REPLACEMENT WOULD HAVE THE SHURE NAME/LOGO - TO DO SO WOULD BE A TRADEMARK VIOLATION. If anyone tells you different they have no idea what they are talking about. I have over 40 years experience with these

Last edited:
Bad form to post twice on the same topic. It is not allowed.

It wasn't the same topic when I originally posted them I was looking for pricing which would have gotten me bumped out of here. Now I am looking for verification on their authenticity from the other great minds here.
not being hindered by these being posted in one topic.

Last edited:
OnlyStantons: here are two of the same styli. Only these have the factory Shure paperwork under the foam insert.

Attachments

• IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 47
Interesting thread. After reading dozens of Billboard Magazine articles and adverts, I am leaning towards not made by Shure. The use of the SHURE name could indicate, a specific replacement type or substitute, not a brand, a practice that is still used today. The prominent name on the packaging is Fildelitone , who clearly marketed themselves as a one-stop manufacturer and rack jobber of replacement styli.

Maybe Shure wanted to focus on Cartridges and let others service the replacements.

Last edited:
They were mainly a parts supply company for the audio industry until 1980. These are the parts that your local hi-fi dealers would order for repairs. Their packaging is similar to Astatic who used original Shure styli. No reason to think that they didn't use original replacement parts. Both Shure and Fidelitone are located in the Chicago area.

I have the impression from Shure ads from the 70s that there may have been some distinction between the Shure replacements sold by Shure, and the those sold by other companies, which Shure strongly implied were seconds. Why a company would release inferior products into the market without some sort of permanent marker on them, I don't know, and why a company would supply their competition, I also don't know. But they could be genuine Shures, but not so good, anyway.

Companies like Pfanstiehl and Fidelitone were not their competition, they were distribution partners who had relationships with non-equipment retailers. I worked at Record Bar part time for five years in the early 70's. We had a complete Pfanstiehl display and catalogue that we were able to accomodate due the smaller sized containers and the counter top display rack as opposed to the multipart boxes used by the manufacturers for sale by audio dealers who kept them in the back room.

This is a Shure M92G specification sheet from 1968. I find researching this interesting and informative.

Clicking the pdf will download from AK.

Attachments

• Shure 92G .pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Well maybe just a little more proof Shure sold stock to other companies who repackaged to fit their numbering systems and fit into their displays.
Notice where it says Manufactured by Shure.

P1100478.JPG P1100479.JPG P1100480.JPG P1100481.JPG

Yes, genuine Shure. Just repackaged by Fidelitone so they would fit within their proprietary numbering system and in the retail dealer drawer cabinets. If they did not do this the retailer could not file them in any semblance of order, since each manufacturer used their own style packaging and numbering system. NO AFTERMARKET SHURE REPLACEMENT WOULD HAVE THE SHURE NAME/LOGO - TO DO SO WOULD BE A TRADEMARK VIOLATION. If anyone tells you different they have no idea what they are talking about. I have over 40 years experience with these

What he said.

Back
Top Bottom