Ariston RD80... Tonearm to heavy?

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
just picked up a Ariston RD80 from fellow AKer. Been a while since I've had a suspended table. The arm I planned to use is from a Kenwood KD-550. Installed it and the platter & armboard droops some to the right, due to that arm weight (see pics). Manual says to adjust the springs, but there are no access holes. I would have to take the bottom off to get to them. Sounds and plays fine. Should I be worried by this or start looking for a lighter arm?

IMG_8275.JPG IMG_8276.JPG IMG_8277.JPG

Yes, adjust the springs and it will sound much better yet. If you have to take the bottom of, so it goes! One usually does.

Leveled the base, got the screws out and reached under to adjust the wing nuts on the springs to level the platter. Went a little to far & the platter scrubbed, had to back it off. :rolleyes: Managed not to destroy anything.

IMG_8278.JPG

Leveled the base, got the screws out and reached under to adjust the wing nuts on the springs to level the platter. Went a little to far & the platter scrubbed, had to back it off. :rolleyes: Managed not to destroy anything.

View attachment 1287037
Slow and steady, give it a gentle bounce or two along the way to help things settle.

Back
Top Bottom