As promised Pics of the magnet Jig

scootchu

Dear Sir or Madman
This is a shot of the driver with the plate minus the magnet and the back plate.
DSCN1400.jpg

A Shot of the jig holding the magnet. Notice the slot on the side that allows for the clamp to squeeze the magnet to hold it.
DSCN1399.jpg

This is a shot of the speaker sitting in the jig. The Pencils and rubber bands allow the cone and coil to go as far forward as possible. This allows you to lower the magnet into the front plate without smashing the VC.
The band clamp is tightened to hold magnet and when loosened the magnet pulls itself toward the plate.
DSCN1403.jpg

By tightening and loosing the opposite thumbscrews which are at the same height as the frontplate on which they clamp onto you can move the pole and magnet in a controlled way. When you get it close to centered you can take the pencils out and lower the cone and coil to the pole. A little fiddling with the thumbscrews and the pole will center, provided the VC isn't damaged.

Now make some marks on the basket and PVC to line it up again, but this time with epoxy.

I have some more pics I will add later.

DSCN1408.jpg

A Voice Coil with no rub... so far.

Interesting, did you make it yourself? looks like it would come in handy for fixing drivers that have been knocked or dropped, do you have any tips for fixing pole-pieces which have moved?

Interesting, did you make it yourself? looks like it would come in handy for fixing drivers that have been knocked or dropped, do you have any tips for fixing pole-pieces which have moved?

AK forum member Merrylander gave me the drawing of the jig. This was my first attempt a repair and I can say right now I am listening to Aerosmith on the repaired driver and it sounds great. I am very satisfied.

I'm using a pool tube section for a shim to center the magnet onto the post.

These were kinda uncentered originally; maybe they moved the post only, instead of the magnet+post to set it. :nono:

The glue used to bond magnets to the drivers turns brittle and ineffective over the decades. The 6-1/2" "midbass" drivers used in the early Polk Audio Monitor Series speakers are notorious for this problem. Doesn't take much to dislodge 'em.

The glue used to bond magnets to the drivers turns brittle and ineffective over the decades. The 6-1/2" "midbass" drivers used in the early Polk Audio Monitor Series speakers are notorious for this problem. Doesn't take much to dislodge 'em.

You're right... I just pulled 'em apart!

Just discovered this old thread, and I just joined the forum. I'm curious why the photos with the photobucket watermarks right in the way are so fuzzy?

Just discovered this old thread, and I just joined the forum. I'm curious why the photos with the photobucket watermarks right in the way are so fuzzy?

Unfortunately, some members think it good to post pictures using an outside service instead of uploading pics directly to AK. They are wrong. Many pictures in valuable and useful threads have been lost because they are no longer visible. At least these are just made fuzzy. Many times all you see is a tiny error box.

Last edited:
Because in 2017 (I think) Photobucket ruined the internet by suddenly (and maliciously) transitioning from a free image hosting site, to a pay site. They were the internet's largest free image hosting service right up until they blocked everyone's photos unless they paid $399/year to continue using their service and sharing their photos.

Now everyone who used their free service in the past and didn't pay up the ransom is left with blurry, Photobucket-watermarked photos wherever they shared them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom