asilker's TD 124 build thread

I told you earlier Ebay sells the name tag.
You're right. I couldn't find any before. I looked again now, maybe my search terms are different or maybe I was being dopey before but they're available from Russia and they eBay seller is ruslansultanaev

He will punch serial numbers too

Thanks for the nudge bro

Looks great. Could you share brand and color?
Krylon Almond Satin. It's the closet color that I could find in a can. You can bring your chassis to a Automotive paint store and they can match the color and put in a spray can. But it cost more than a can of Krylon. Like 10 times more.

Here's another I did with cans. You don't have to paint it the same color. Get creative. 124 improved 007.JPG

You mean you prefer your work over other jobs that are done outside of your home? As in it takes quite a bit of time but its worth it to control parameters yourself?
Worded that wrong. My rattle can jobs suit myself. May have a hard time pleasing someone else.

That top plate won't be easy to paint with all the different elevations and right angles. Keep the can moving, light coats and room temp.

Every bit of paint is removed after 2 days working with aircraft remover.

The bubble level popped out easily. I stuffed the hole with cotton from a q tip, clipped a section from a wood BBQ skewer, and knocked on it with a hammer. POP.

P_20170920_153809.jpg

A couple coats of primer coming soon.

Every bit of paint is removed after 2 days working with aircraft remover.

The bubble level popped out easily. I stuffed the hole with cotton from a q tip, clipped a section from a wood BBQ skewer, and knocked on it with a hammer. POP.

View attachment 1008682

A couple coats of primer coming soon.
If your painting it over again you didn't have to go thru all that work to strip it. Just sand it good then apply primer. But it's looking good.

Last edited:
If your painting it over again you didn't have to go thru all that work to strip it. Just sand it good then apply primer. But it's looking good.
I figured so. But if I'm going to go through all the trouble of repainting and cleaning small parts, I might as well take the extra day to strip things down.

The aircraft remover really did the job fast. It was not a laborious extra step :)

I figured so. But if I'm going to go through all the trouble of repainting and cleaning small parts, I might as well take the extra day to strip things down.

The aircraft remover really did the job fast. It was not a laborious extra step :)
Make sure you sand the bare metal before primer. It will help the primer stick.

Great progress congrats. Can't wait to see the next steps. Looks great and close to original color here.

Looks great! To give it better protection you can spray a satin clear coat over it. I use lacquer but you can use enamel as long it's the same brand of the paint you used. I use lacquer because I have found that it sprays easier and flows a lot better. All my work is clear coated.

Back
Top Bottom