Astonishing pics of Mellotronix's private love cave. #7 will make you blush.

Mellotronix

Hmmm. I might have oversold it, but it got your attention. Here's an update of the state of my love cave.

Attachments

• corner1.jpg
    corner1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 423
  • desk1.jpg
    desk1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 408
  • guitarcases.jpg
    guitarcases.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 408
  • sofaTT1.jpg
    sofaTT1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 406
  • TT1.jpg
    TT1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 397
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 397
  • TVspeaker.jpg
    TVspeaker.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 421
  • desk3.jpg
    desk3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 395
  • grado1.jpg
    grado1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 398
  • closet1.jpg
    closet1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 400
Lovely setup and room, Mellotronix. I also like the digital audio workstation (DAW) at your desk. Reason? Cubase? I checked the track "God Is" at your soundcloud page and must say that you did a great job on the guitar. And the drums are well-mic'd as well.

Lovely setup and room, Mellotronix. I also like the digital audio workstation (DAW) at your desk. Reason? Cubase? I checked the track "God Is" at your soundcloud page and must say that you did a great job on the guitar. And the drums are well-mic'd as well.
Thanks a million.

It's Pro Tools. I started way back in the 90's when they had a free version (I think that they still do). Now, I'm a subscriber, so I pay for PT 2018 each month. It is nice to be always up to date. My next adventure will be surround sound for music (a 'la Steven Wilson). I'm gonna pull the trigger on the new Universal Audio Apollo X with outputs that can be configured for surround sound. It will mean an upgrade to Pro Tools HD. Nothing is ever easy or cheap when it comes to audio.

Very nice! Fantastic!

Please share some detail on your corner traps. It appears to be something rigid, glued on a 45* angle to the corner from about 3' up?

This appears to be a strategy to disperse the corner wave compressions, as opposed to absorbing anything. Is this the case?

Totally awesome space right down to the starburst wall clock.

I am hoping to someday have a space like this to call my own.
My 9 yr. old daughter recently pushed me out of my man cave area(basement), so I’m scrambling to get traction in any room in the house.

I live what you’ve done.
Although a bit unfair to show us all the nice guitar cases without a peek at what’s inside...

Very nice! Fantastic!

Please share some detail on your corner traps. It appears to be something rigid, glued on a 45* angle to the corner from about 3' up?

This appears to be a strategy to disperse the corner wave compressions, as opposed to absorbing anything. Is this the case?

I used an Auralex Pro Panel kit purchased from Sweetwater for around $1100. Shipping was pretty expensive since they required palleting and a large truck for delivery. There are nine panels in this particular kit including two bass traps. They mount with a very clever system that does not require wallboard anchors. The panels are quite light and they are impaled into the mounting brackets by simply pushing them into the spikey mounting hardware. The bass traps mount the same way. I put mine up pretty high and I was worried that standing waves would be a problem, but I'm not hearing it, so I'm assuming that most of the waves are becoming trapped behind the corner panels and others are being dispersed.

Almost everyone who enters the room notices the difference in sound dispersion. Even when you are talking, you are not hearing slap reflections and music sounds in-tune with no phase cancellation or distortion. The treatment will make any speaker sound more accurate. Furniture placement, carpet, curtains, etc. can and do often accomplish the same thing, although placement of these items is sometimes less than optimal. There are other products that work well and are less costly.

Two of my corners do not have bass traps because of doorways, but I've found that they aren't necessary in my little room. The doorframes create angles that send the bass off in different directions and the hollow doors seem to absorb some of the waves. Also, I can always open the doors and let the standing waves dissipate into the adjoining rooms/closet.

The only issue left for me to deal with is the window behind one of the main speakers. I can purchase blinds covered with fabric. The variegated pattern should stop reflections. Here's a video.

My 9 yr. old daughter recently pushed me out of my man cave area(basement), so I’m scrambling to get traction in any room in the house.

I live what you’ve done.
Although a bit unfair to show us all the nice guitar cases without a peek at what’s inside...

I have a bunch of guitars! Been gigging since I was 16 (during the Nixon administration:) The cases in the photo are mostly Gibson Les Pauls, SG's, an ES335 and an ES339. My favorites, however, are my three Gretsch guitars--two Duo Jets and a 6120 all made at the Terada Plant in Japan. I also have four Rickenbackers and two PRS guitars. I keep these close to my mixing desk: PRS CE24, 2000 Les Paul Classic, 2014 Les Paul R8, 2010 Les Paul R0 (R=Custom shop historic reissues).

_DSC2861.JPG

I wanted to put in a word about the desk. It was made by Sound Construction and Supply from the USA. I shopped for a long time before I found this company, and their work is top notch. I learned a long time ago when I managed a production facility at a university that it's foolish to skimp on furniture for tech gear since it's going to outlast the technology--or at least it should. This desk is heavy, sturdy, does not wiggle or wobble at all, and stands up to abuse very well. Love it. A bit expensive--again it had to be palleted and shipped by truck. The only assembly was to attach the legs. The two 6 space racks were perfect for my needs, but SCS makes all kinds of configurations and they will custom build whatever you need.

By the way, the Harry Potter stuff scattered around is a nod to my adult son whose room this was at one time. He grew up during the Harry Potter Craze of the 90's--00's and we had a lot of fun as a family going to see the movies at the IMAX theater when they were released usually just before Christmas. It became a family tradition, so I put a few artifacts around the room.

_DSC2843.JPG

Last edited:

Don't worry. She'll be grown up and will fly the coop long before you are ready for it:-( Then you'll reclaim your space and have extra money unless she goes to an expensive college.

Great job Mello! You nailed the scale of things correctly and the room does not seem overly crowded for as much as you have going on in there.

Very kind room.
I sense you are a neat person, in every sense of the word.
I have sensed this, every sense I saw your neat photos.

Seriously cool combination of modern and retro. :D

You know, sitting that close to a flat screen will ruin your eyes?
Not sure if you're being cheeky here, but I'm way too far from that little 43" 4K--9 feet to be exact. Does it look closer?

Screen size Viewing distance range for 4K Ultra HD TVs
40" 3.3-5.0 feet
43" 3.6-5.4 feet
50" 4.2-6.3 feet
55" 4.6-6.9 feet
60" 5.0-7.5 feet
65" 5.4-8.1 feet
70" 5.8-8.75 feet
75" 6.3-9.4 feet
80" 6.7-10.0 feet
85" 7.1-10.6 feet

Hate to be a buzz kill in this love fest
but it looks to me like you're out of vinyl storage space, time to knock down a wall
:whip:
Too bad cuz it's a nice room :D

Back
Top Bottom