AT 440 MLb vs AT VM540ML

grillebilly

Empty Head
It is my understating the 540 is the replacement for the 440. The AT440MLb is still available for about $200, the AT VM 540ML is $250.
Is the 540 a new and improved version of the 440? If so, what are the differences and why are they worth the extra $50?
I have a 440 MLa on another turntable and think it's pretty darn good, especially for the $100 they used to sell for.
Thanks for any input you can bring.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the specs that there is much difference - 440MLb on left, 540ML on right
upload_2018-1-15_16-9-54.png

The 540 runs heavier, looks like probably the same stylus. Not much to see here - probably need someone to let us know what it sounds like.

Audio Technica reccomended replacement stylus for AT440MLa/b and VM740ML cartridges to be VMN40ML.

It seems that AT-440MLa/b series is better then VM540ML cartridge in distorsion results at all tracking forces. What happend with Audio Technica, it discontinued 440ML series and produce lower quality cartridges and stylus with higher price?! Stylus from 540ML and 740ML series is interchangeable with ML440 series but what if one day we replace the needle with the new one VMN40ML, will performance then be weaker?

It seems that AT-440MLa/b series is better then VM540ML

I re-read it and what I got out of it is it the distortion was only a problem at one frequency range. The tester's conclusions were very favorable, even compared to the 440ML.
Maybe I just need enlightenment :idea:

I have one on a TD146 and think very highly of it, at least for what I paid. It was my intention to get a Mlb for my Sansui 838, but would be willing to spend a bit more if the replacement was an improvement. The tester said that with the "4th gen" stylus, it is. He also complained of the 440 was "burn your ears off bright". I don't see it but I have very tame speakers.

Your tester are wrong and he does not have right input loading on AT-440MLb... This is my AT-440MLb... This FR have high frequency bump on 11kHz up to +1.5dB. This is mechanical resonance from cantilever. AT-440ML sounds great if you have right loading on it.

index.php

Last edited:
I re-read it and what I got out of it is it the distortion was only a problem at one frequency range. The tester's conclusions were very favorable, even compared to the 440ML.
Maybe I just need enlightenment :idea:

At all frequency VM540ML have worst THD and IMD then 440ML cartridge and also at all VTF range for their stylus... Author does not tell how it have configured loading on preamp input.

audio-technica-review-img20.jpg

Last edited:
I found this review, the most interesting part is the testing done after the review. It's over my head for the most part. But according to this tester, worth the extra $50
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...udio-technica-vm540ml-phono-cartridge-review/
Thanks for posting the review. Early on in this hobby, I greatly enjoyed trying different cartridges, and only a handful proved unlistenable for me. The AT440ML was one, and solely due to its bright frequency balance. My favorite at present is the somewhat subdued M97xE, but it was encouraging to read that the new AT is significantly less bright than its predecessor, "For the moment, we have to live with some brightness in the VM540ML although it is in the single octave centered at 12kHz. It is not the burn your ears off AT440MLa bright starting lower in frequency and ending higher in amplitude . . ."

Your tester are wrong and he does not have right input loading on AT-440MLb... This is my AT-440MLb... This FR have high frequency bump on 11kHz up to +1.5dB. This is mechanical resonance from cantilever. AT-440ML sounds great if you have right loading on it.
The image you posted about the 440ML's frequency response is not showing up for me. What loading did you find to be correct for it? I have to admit that changing the loading is not something I've ever done; no such options were available in the conrad-johnson, Linn, and Audio by Van Alstine preamps I have used, nor did the Grado PH-1 phono stage I owned, other than a switch to choose between Grado's own high output and low output cartridge models.

The VM540ML, 440MLa/b, have the same compliance and stylus. Don't understand why they bumped up the tracking force. I had my 440MLa tracking at 1.7 grams and it tracked like radar at that force. You don't need much anti-skating with the Microline tip. Had the anti-skating set at .75 grams.

@jrtrent Mine At-440MLb with that FR plot is loaded on 47.44kOhm and 95pF overall capacitance. I`m do about 30 tests with different loadings from 32k to 78k and this combination have best FR from all other.
For reason that I loose too much time to solder and desolder different resistors and after that I do that directly on preamp board I decide to make custom preamp with DIP switch and make work simpliest then before... No more soldering. ;)

Preamp.jpg

This is values on that DIP switch with combination on max 3 different switch together...

DIP.jpg

Yellow line represent current loading with 47.44kOhm/95pF... This is one plot with different loading... I cant remember what loading represent other line colors...
FR_comparision_1k_Hz.jpg

Soon I will describe all process what I do to make this preamp and also with all pictures... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom