At long last... The Edgarhorns are singing!

Last night my wife told me that she prefered the EV crapboxes that preceded these... :tears:

I told her I could explain why the Edgars weren't sounding 100% yet, but she wasn't too interested in talking about it.

Does she get to sit in the head-vice seat when she listens or is she missing the upper end from the Edgars?

I have a feeling she wasn't sitting in the sweet spot, and she mentioned a severe shortage of bass (still true). Ron pointed out a couple days ago that a first order crossover will invert phase, and that I might want to reverse polarity of the woofers. I'm gonna give that a shot soon.

And hook up the tweeters.

I knew you had been listening to the EV's to long when you thought the 604's sounded bright!

Last night my wife told me that she prefered the EV crapboxes that preceded these... :tears:

Ooh, that left hook rocked him!

I told her I could explain why the Edgars weren't sounding 100% yet, but she wasn't too interested in talking about it.

DOWN GOES FRAZIER, DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!

Keep up the good fight, Nate :D

RC

Last edited:
You may not get much in the way of low end from those. The horn isn't big enough to support really low frequencies so you're not going to get the horn effect from them. Without that they'll be acting as a delayed direct radiator and will be down several dB from where the horn is helping out. Since you're most likely using a prosound type 10" you won't have gutbusting bass anyway. If she wants some bass I'd suggest either going with a bigger box and driver and scrap the "bass horn" (which would be a shame considering the craftsmanship) or add a sub.

You may not get much in the way of low end from those. The horn isn't big enough to support really low frequencies so you're not going to get the horn effect from them. Without that they'll be acting as a delayed direct radiator and will be down several dB from where the horn is helping out. Since you're most likely using a prosound type 10" you won't have gutbusting bass anyway. If she wants some bass I'd suggest either going with a bigger box and driver and scrap the "bass horn" (which would be a shame considering the craftsmanship) or add a sub.

Not gutbusting by any means but surprisingly smooth and satisfying down to around 50Hz corner loaded in my room I would imagine. I get very nice results when playing bass heavy material in my room but then again, I'm not a big LF freak.

If I'm looking for some punch, I turn to my 2-ways using JBL 2226H in bass reflex cabs, JBL 2226 on 650 Hz Edgars. My upstairs Edgars are not rockers but those are.

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

RC

Looking good, Nate. That room seems way different without the Tannolks in there.

I just thought of something and hope this doesn't jack your thread but it might end up to help...........
I don't hear anyone in our area talking about measurements. Does anyone local have any experience with the mic and software? I know my ears rule out "everyone in MN has Golden ears so we don't need to measure".

Let me know if you need any help moving the big stuff.

Not gutbusting by any means but surprisingly smooth and satisfying down to around 50Hz corner loaded in my room I would imagine. I get very nice results when playing bass heavy material in my room but then again, I'm not a big LF freak.

Yeah, corner loading would make a big difference but looking at the pics, Nate's room seems to have anti-corners. I don't know if that will help out that much. Room size will probably play a role also. The funky shaped, large room will probably suck up bass like a Shamwow.

If I'm looking for some punch, I turn to my 2-ways using JBL 2226H in bass reflex cabs, JBL 2226 on 650 Hz Edgars. My upstairs Edgars are not rockers but those are.

Probably a hair bigger than the Dixies?

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Yeah, and that "pleasing the wife" goal is a tough one.

I've got decent corners once I get the mondo entertainment center out of the room. And I realize I won't get low low bass with these bins, but having heard Ron's firsthand, I know they can do better - even if he has them cornerloaded. But yeah, the Shamwow of a room is an issue and always has been.

Oh, and those two ways of Ron's are pretty great, too!

Lance, no golden ears here, for sure. I think the idea of measuring them is cool but it would require someone with time and knowledge. Maybe we'll find that individual here someday! :)

I've got decent corners once I get the mondo entertainment center out of the room. And I realize I won't get low low bass with these bins, but having heard Ron's firsthand, I know they can do better - even if he has them cornerloaded. But yeah, the Shamwow of a room is an issue and always has been.

Oh, and those two ways of Ron's are pretty great, too!

Lance, no golden ears here, for sure. I think the idea of measuring them is cool but it would require someone with time and knowledge. Maybe we'll find that individual here someday! :)

Ron's really do have a nice amount of bass in his room. I'm sure with some tweaking yours will as well.

Measuring is for wankers. If it sounds good to my ears I'm set.

Looking good, Nate. That room seems way different without the Tannolks in there.

I just thought of something and hope this doesn't jack your thread but it might end up to help...........
I don't hear anyone in our area talking about measurements. Does anyone local have any experience with the mic and software? I know my ears rule out "everyone in MN has Golden ears so we don't need to measure".

Let me know if you need any help moving the big stuff.

Hi Guy's,

I talked to you at cobblefest about using Holm Impulse, it is very user friendly and free! You can get a microphone from Parts express for $49 and a simple microphone preamp and you are set. I used it to setup my horns, it makes it much simpler to tweek your crossover when you can see what you hearing.:)

Last edited:
Yeah, corner loading would make a big difference but looking at the pics, Nate's room seems to have anti-corners. I don't know if that will help out that much. Room size will probably play a role also. The funky shaped, large room will probably suck up bass like a Shamwow..

It sure helps. Although, I was surprised at the amout of LF the Dixielanders produced in a big open room (no corner loading) when I first found mine. I started a thread way back about them and recall mentioning that I thought they did as well in that regard as the Altec 846A's I was running at the time.

This also might have had something to do with "room(s)" in an odd reversal of attributes :scratch2:

Probably a hair bigger than the Dixies?.

5 cu-ft with those as opposed to the mystery of the Dixielander folded horn.

Hi Guy's,

I talked to you at cobblefest about using Holm Impulse, it is very user friendly and free! You can get a microphone from Parts express for $49 and a simple microphone preamp and you are set. I used it to setup my horns, it makes it much simpler to tweek your crossover when you can see what you hearing.:)
Hey, thanks for the reminder! That sounds like something I might be able to handle. A few of us might benefit from having something like that in the toolbox. :yes:

I'm spacing out on your name, sorry. You're d to the g's friend, right?
5 cu-ft with those as opposed to the mystery of the Dixielander folded horn.
I've got some nice renderings of the Dixielander box as drawn by the previous owner (a designer by trade). I'll try to post them here soon.

Hi Guy's,

Hot Dang! How ya been Chuck? You were telling me about Holm Impulse that afternoon and I was going to check it out the next day. Of course, the next day rolled around I completely forgot the name of the program. I even asked Doug about a week or so ago if he remembered what you were using or ask the next time he saw you :yes:

Good timing!

RC

That little Dayton mic is a sweet deal. Comes with a cal file too. You can use a small mixer as a pre if you don't have a standalone too. More data, more wank!

Hey, thanks for the reminder! That sounds like something I might be able to handle. A few of us might benefit from having something like that in the toolbox. :yes:

I've got some nice renderings of the Dixielander box as drawn by the previous owner (a designer by trade). I'll try to post them here soon.

Good plan :yes: I've seen those but think the mystery is still more in what this 2-fold horn is doing (or not doing) as opposed to a 3-fold.

RC

Back
Top Bottom