AT VM8 LII - stylus ID

orriginal

Got this off the bay. Sounds really nice. Upon first listening, it gives my AT440mlb a run for its money. Which surprised me since I really love the mlb.

I was doing some research on stylus possibilities before I heard it. Now that I hear it, my mind starts imagining what this cartridge is capable of if I choose to upgrade the stylus.

Before I move on though, I'd like to know where I am on the continuum. Can anyone ID this stylus? There's no markings on it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 15
It is a conical/spherical needle and compatible with all AT10 to AT12 family needles/cartridges. There is the ATN12XE, ATN12S and ATS12S which should all be objective upgrades over your present needle. If I were enjoying the present needle then I'd continue to do so.

Get yourself a LP Gear Vivid Line stylus. It will track much better than the stock conical.When I did the swap on my similar cartridge (AT10), it was a very nice upgrade.

orri: Hard to tell, which needle type that really is. From the somewhat crudely manufactured looking plastic holder with pretty huge bump protector nipple, I'd rather deem it a 3rd party VM8-7D replacement. Then again, the cantilever assembly as such looks pretty close to an original VM8-7D including the non-crimped & -bent front end...

But without better, more detailed pics of the tip I couldn't even exclude the possibility of it being a 3rd party ATS12S replacement...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Back
Top Bottom