Attempting Yamaha amp fix

Baggiesfan

https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_rxv671.pdf/download.html

Yes, I have posted this on a couple of other forums, sorry :)

I have a Yamaha RX-V671 that after only 4 years has decided to stop working.
The amp turned itself off when my wife turned it on, and then again, so I tried, same thing, I reset the amp, using the 3 button menu, checked all speaker cables, then powered it back on, it worked fine for about 45 mins then switched off again.
Diagnostic mode gives the error: PS: PRT 135 H
I also see a fluctuating value in p1-2 diagnostic: PS 160/129 which suggests there could a volt error somewhere
No C405 on this amp lol.
I have the service manual, but wiring diagrams have never been my strong point :/
Advice would be appreciated.

Greetings;
Unfortunate your receiver stopped working. You're simply not going to find too much help on these AV types because of the complexity and generally no replacement boards available. But try another reset.. this time unplug the ac and disconnect the speakers and all inputs and wait about 15 min. then plug in ac and reset. Plug in some head phones if you have them.. generally you're looking for some idle time to see if it shuts down again. No joy unplug and repeat reset.

Lets just say you have normal idle performance/ fm headphones joy. Many of these amps have sense circuits to protect speakers and amp. Hence the cpu says getting too much dc offset or a speaker causing potential damage to amp. However if you haven't reset the unit in 4 years then possible the cpu just says 'f- this and shuts down'.. but connecting tested speakers 2 at first, check ohms. don't use piezo types. and test. the flip maybe output dc offset. perhaps bias Idle check needs adjustment. but after chasing a/v rabbits before.. this is as far as I go.
bink.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbz
Yea I second Bink.

"No user serviceable parts inside" generally sum these things up. some members here work on these, but there arent many. They are very complex and generally you see common faults across particular models.

Underbuilt power supplies can be a problem that leads to failure. On the other hand it may just need a reset.

Agree with others above, difficult to service/troubleshoot.
The diagnostic means there is a power supply problem, where an over-voltage has been detected, the amp shuts down
for self preservation. 160%/129% or 1xx% of the expected value has been detected. Suggest you check/monitor outputs
of the voltage regulators, possibly one is/has failed.

The PS1,2 in the diagnostics is where the trigger threshold is set, see
page 61 of sm. The actual diagnostic is PS PRT 135(%) H(high?). Looking
at page 61 suggests you have a problem with a PS1 voltage, ie, ACBL, AC12,
AC5, +/-7 +3.3s, -5VA, suggest you check these dc voltages first, again
more likely to be faulty volt reg or ...

I've repaired an Onkyo version of this,(TX-NR737) a friend helped someone set up the receiver and spiked an output, which shorted some driver and predriver transistors, it was fairly easy to fix, I think 2 were surface mount, the rest were through hole. so the amps are repairable, boards are sometimes available on the auction site.

Last edited:
It definitely does not need a reset, it has already been reset numerous times during the troubleshooting process.
If hardware fails then a reset wouldn't make a shred of a difference anyway.
One issue had been found, a negative voltage regulator is bad, so we change that first and see what happens.

It's kind of interesting that a stereo receiver is getting so complex it has onboard diagnostics like a car, or computer.

https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_rxv671.pdf/download.html

Yes, I have posted this on a couple of other forums, sorry :)

I have a Yamaha RX-V671 that after only 4 years has decided to stop working.
The amp turned itself off when my wife turned it on, and then again, so I tried, same thing, I reset the amp, using the 3 button menu, checked all speaker cables, then powered it back on, it worked fine for about 45 mins then switched off again.
Diagnostic mode gives the error: PS: PRT 135 H
I also see a fluctuating value in p1-2 diagnostic: PS 160/129 which suggests there could a volt error somewhere
No C405 on this amp lol.
I have the service manual, but wiring diagrams have never been my strong point :/
Advice would be appreciated.
My denon, that I purchased new, quit in 4 years also. Since these were made to fail, my solution was to chuck the denon with a trebuchet and set up a refurbished vintage stereo system (currently on kenwood but it gets changed every 2 months with other gear). It sounds great.

My denon, that I purchased new, quit in 4 years also. Since these were made to fail, my solution was to chuck the denon with a trebuchet and set up a refurbished vintage stereo system (currently on kenwood but it gets changed every 2 months with other gear). It sounds great.
Might sound great playing vinyl or 8Track but not for a home cinema system

chuck the denon with a trebuchet
:rflmao:
that must have been a sight!
I was fortunate to locally sell 3 AVR's to one buyer (2 denons and a Yammi) msrp of approx. 1800.00 all worked with hdmi and optical not working on 1 of the denons. for the amazing price of $75.00 I got em all for free and was tired of hauling them around, no buyers. new owner is happier than a pig in a hay pile. He had bought a B&k avr-307 stuck in "please wait" for yard. so he felt somewhat vindicated.

Might sound great playing vinyl or 8Track but not for a home cinema system
Don't really miss the surround sound. Stereo is pretty great when watching movies and a modern av receiver does not deliver the power to run 15 in woofers, it's night and day. I can also hear the dialogue even when I lower the volume at night which with blue rays and 7.1 was impossible on some movies.

:rflmao:
that must have been a sight!
I was fortunate to locally sell 3 AVR's to one buyer (2 denons and a Yammi) msrp of approx. 1800.00 all worked with hdmi and optical not working on 1 of the denons. for the amazing price of $75.00 I got em all for free and was tired of hauling them around, no buyers. new owner is happier than a pig in a hay pile. He had bought a B&k avr-307 stuck in "please wait" for yard. so he felt somewhat vindicated.
It really pissed me off that it broke in only 4 years (especially since I have gear, untouched, that is well over 40 and works) for the amount I paid. I won't buy modern gear again.

It really pissed me off that it broke in only 4 years (especially since I have gear, untouched, that is well over 40 and works) for the amount I paid. I won't buy modern gear again.
Built to fail bro. Planned obselesence (sp?).

Pretty much the opposite approach from how a lot of the better vintage ger was built, thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom