Attention Fairchild Freaks!

i wonder what happened to the front foil on that amp.?its usally the 255 amps that you see without the nameplate although @s-petersen 260 first generation amps came without nameplates but those were a simple square foil unlike what was on the 255 ,255a 260 and 275.

Nothing flies under the AK radar any more
mabe not audiokarma but this amp just might squeak by some people on ebay and will probally go cheaper than they normally go for but all it takes is 2 people who know what it is and then comes a bidding war.i hope leland47 decides to bid on it and gets it.we need more Fairchild owners here on ak.

fwiw the chassis looks clean andwill clean up nice.as far the transformers go you could always repaint them but they dont look like they have too much rust alot of that is justdort and those will clean up nicely as well.for myself id just clean them them up and leave as is with the patina or rust whichever you want to call it lol.my 260 transformers have some rust on them as well.

LoL.....

Yea, I figured I'd upset some folks bidding on this one. But thought with 22 bids already....it was known about.

Interesting about the Revision on this model. Wonder why? Tube shortage or Cheaper Tube supply?

I guess the missing Name Badge on the front is some sort of sticker....foil?

Here's some more pics.

What is that Octal Connector on the side for?

No mention of a Cage...

s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg s-l1600-9.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 25
LoL.....

Yea, I figured I'd upset some folks bidding on this one. But thought with 22 bids already....it was known about.

:rolleyes:

Just saying, happy I'm not a bidder on this one - or I'd be perturbed

If someone does get it I hope they share some pics of the guts - Also curious about that octal socket

I figured it could bring big bucks if a couple bidders wanted a match to one they already had.....

Don't know how rare this R revision model is. But if I had one, and a chance to get a mate came along...I'd pull out all the stops to do so also...

Hello. One more Fairchild freak joins thread.

First, I like to thank you all, this thread and AK forum has been very helpful to get familiar these amazing equipment’s. There is link to YouTube video, there you can see what kind of vintage audio we have and how these beauties play. I say we because this collection is just partly mine.
My friend bought first Fairchild amp 30-40 years ago from local junkyard. It was in rough condition, missing tubes etc., and it was forgotten at his mother’s upstairs closet until 2016. Fall 2016 my friend was browsing internet and saw picture and discussion about Fairchild amplifiers, and he remembered at he has one of these. Hopefully he found it and it was good enough for restoration.

The amp went to restoration for local professional. Luckily amp was unmodified, and it was easily serviced back to play.

When this First amplifier returned to listening room, everyone was curious to hear how it sounds. Nobody didn’t expect anything special from 60 years amp. It was plugged in mono to these same speakers what are in video. For surprise for all listeners sound was really hooking from very first note. I do remember my mates sitting in that room and everyone had to admit at its sound was really pleasing.

Then we faced the problem. Buying matching pair wasn’t easy and neither cheap. First chance to buy pair was this Canuck amp what is mentioned in this thread. We were too slow, no change to buy that amp. We didn’t upset, our turn was at fall 2018. Gentleman from Switzerland listed amp to E-Bay.ch. I don’t understand what happened in that auction, but I won that auction with my opening bid. I bid just same what was reserve price! And nobody else didn’t bid anything! Actually, I made two increasing bids afterwards up to my limit, but these were not needed.

This Swiss amp was quite good condition, needs only new tubes and some other components. Luckily it was also unmodified example.

Now both amps are serviced and playing nicely. Love that Fairchild sound!

I always thought this thread was cool. Never thought I'd come across a Fairchild but I have a TT in the house.

It is a 412 and I was originally not very excited as the only sold one appearing on ebay went for just $159 (plus $28 shipping). When I first saw it the tonearm appeared to be a monstrosity, but my research seems to indicate it is a Fairchild 282.

Google of "Fairchild 282 tonearm" leads me to ebay results showing a 412 TT with 282 arm went for $5xx last year and another tonearm alone went for about the same amount on the bay. Also saw someone say the way to get most value from this combo is to separate.

I might be interested in keeping the table and selling the arm. How does the 282 tonearm perform?

Can't tell if there is a cartridge as the tonearm is stuck. Platter also doesn't turn. But those are likely easy fixes (see pics).
Fairchild4122.jpg Fairchild4123.jpg Fairchild4124.jpg Fairchild4125.jpg Fairchild4121.jpg

Hope you Fairchild Freaks don't mind me posting this here.

I always thought this thread was cool. Never thought I'd come across a Fairchild but I have a TT in the house.

It is a 412 and I was originally not very excited as the only sold one appearing on ebay went for just $159 (plus $28 shipping). When I first saw it the tonearm appeared to be a monstrosity, but my research seems to indicate it is a Fairchild 282.

Google of "Fairchild 282 tonearm" leads me to ebay results showing a 412 TT with 282 arm went for $5xx last year and another tonearm alone went for about the same amount on the bay. Also saw someone say the way to get most value from this combo is to separate.

I might be interested in keeping the table and selling the arm. How does the 282 tonearm perform?

Can't tell if there is a cartridge as the tonearm is stuck. Platter also doesn't turn. But those are likely easy fixes (see pics).
View attachment 1414810 View attachment 1414811 View attachment 1414812 View attachment 1414813 View attachment 1414814

Hope you Fairchild Freaks don't mind me posting this here.

No cartridge - Those tomearms have a aluminum sled that yours is missing -

No cartridge - Those tomearms have a aluminum sled that yours is missing

Thanks for the info. I found an image on the web, could you tell me if this is the sled below?

I've got many boxes of junk from place I got the TT and it might turn up if I knew what I was looking for. fairchild282sled.jpg

Edit: Is the 282 arm worth messing with?

Back
Top Bottom