AU-9900 vs, AU-9900A Difference?

MarkMeyer

Sansui appears to follow simple numbering for some of their products where they add a letter to an original product number if they "improve" the original model.

So I should be able to assume that the AU-9900 "A" is an improved version over the original AU-9900, but I'm curious if anyone here actually knows what changes were made when the original AU-9900 was superceded by the AU-9900A?

In that same vein; I also recently acquired an AU-777A, and am wondering the same about it if anyone in the know, knows.

MarkMeyer said:
Sansui appears to follow simple numbering for some of their products where they add a letter to an original product number if they "improve" the original model.

So I should be able to assume that the AU-9900 "A" is an improved version over the original AU-9900, but I'm curious if anyone here actually knows what changes were made when the original AU-9900 was superceded by the AU-9900A?

In that same vein; I also recently acquired an AU-777A, and am wondering the same about it if anyone in the know, knows.

The simple answer is "yes", they issued a new updated model if there were engineering changes amounting to a major improvement. You can often figure out what and why if you read through the "bulletins" Sansui issued for an original model. Those would have been incorporated into the "updated" model with the "A" added.

Paul

One of the main differences was the volume control was changed. One is linear the other isn't. There are also some setting differences for the volume. I believe the first model had the different settings and linear control which people complained about as you had to turn the volume up further to get the amp to play loud. Enjoy your new amp.

Duffinator said:
One of the differences was the volume control was changed. One is linear the other isn't. There are also some setting differences for the volume. I believe the first model had the different settings and linear control which people complained about as you had to turn the volume up further to get the amp to play loud. Enjoy your new amp.

Thanks, that's interesting to know. My feeling is that any changes for any of the "updated" models weren't really much more than things like this that might be seen as "convenience" features.
I doubt if any of the upgraded models got more power or anything like that.

I jumped on this one not just because it's an AU-9900, but also because it's an especially clean one compared to most, AND it's an "A" model.

Attachments

• AU 9900A.jpg
    AU 9900A.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 43
Looks familiar! ;-)

The original had a stepped muting system located in the lower recess of the volume control along with a linear potentiometer. The A did away with these extra deoxit users and simply had the -20dB mute.

Still havent found anything to better this amp! find a good DAC for your CD player and the sound is quite stunning for high-end Sansuis.

Back
Top Bottom