Audacity - What the FLAC?

Bob Clobber

Quid carmen vultis audire
I'm trying to convert my vinyl to FLAC format, and Audacity (version 1.2.6) is not cooperating. I can export to WAV, Ogg Vorbis, MP3 but not FLAC. Foobar 2000 and MediaMonkey both have no problem ripping Cd's to FLAC, and Foobar was able to convert the WAV files created by Audacity to FLAC.
I don't want to take that extra step for potentially hundreds of LP's that I want to rip.
Any thoughts folks?

BTW, I am using a newly acquired M-Audio 2496 sound card, and I love the sound it produces! I picked up a mint copy of Talk Talk's "It's My Life" at the thrift and can't tell the difference between the sound of the LP and playing the project file in Audacity. This is a huge upgrade to my system.

From the Audacity web page:

Some open formats are not yet supported by Audacity, including Ogg Speex and FLAC. We hope to support these formats in future versions of Audacity.

When I go into Preferences, there is a tab for File Formats. One of the choices in the pulldown menu for "Uncompressed Export Format" is "FLAC 16 bit". I've selected that, but the export fails.

When I go into Preferences, there is a tab for File Formats. One of the choices in the pulldown menu for "Uncompressed Export Format" is "FLAC 16 bit". I've selected that, but the export fails.

My mistake...sort of...

It looks like the current standard version 1.2.6 does not support FLAC...

Even though that choice is in the preferences.

BUT the beta version...1.3.9 does...

I actually have both on my machine and I when I went to try it I used the standard version 1.2.9 and just went and checked Audacity's web page...

However I did try version 1.3.9 on my machine and it did work fine for exporting as a FLAC file.

And I just did what you said you did in the preference tab in version 1.2.6 and I got an error also...

So I suggest that you go to the Audacity web page and down load the Beta version 1.3.9

But be aware it is a Beta version...Although I have played with it a bit and I have not had any trouble...I have not spent a great deal of time trying it.

I use a program called Total Recorder Pro...It is more of just a recorder than an full featured editor...

Anyway good luck with your :music::music::music::music:

Last edited:
Again from the Audacity web page:

Selecting FLAC Export

The current stable Audacity 1.2.6 can import 16 bit FLAC files. Export of FLAC does not work in the distributed Windows and OS X builds. If you compile Audacity from the stable source code with suitable libraries, 16 bit FLAC export should work and can be enabled on the Preferences > File Formats tab in the "Uncompressed Export Format" dropdown.

The Beta 1.3.3 version of Audacity has full support for export and import of 16 and 24 bit FLAC. New to 1.3.3, the export format is now chosen in the "Save as type" box in the "Export File" dialogue when you click File > Export. New options for both FLAC and MP3 export have been added and are available by clicking the "Options" button in the dialogue.

Bob Clobber and MelodyMaster

It is very confusing...It does in fact look all for the world like it should work in the stable version of Audacity...It is in the "Preferences" drop down just like you would expect.

But I guess since it is "Open Source" software that is to be expected...

Like I said I do not use it much and had never tried to export a FLAC file...

But If I had I would have had the same questions to start with.

Bob Clobber and MelodyMaster

It is very confusing...It does in fact look all for the world like it should work in the stable version of Audacity...It is in the "Preferences" drop down just like you would expect.

But I guess since it is "Open Source" software that is to be expected...

Like I said I do not use it much and had never tried to export a FLAC file...

But If I had I would have had the same questions to start with.

The point is, forget Audacity, get the frontend working first! Reinstall Flac 1.2.1 from the link both JBL Guy and I provided, then reinstall Frontend, test THAT, then worry about other programs. Flac FrontEnd not working is not a "By the Way.." but in fact indicates a basic problem.

Success!

Audacity 1.3.9 does the export flawlessly. Thanks MM and JBL!

Talk Talk is sounding great. Now.. if only I could figure out a way to play these files on an Ipod:scratch2:

Anyhoo, looks like I'll have something to keep me busy on those rainy winter days that are on the way.

Congratulations...:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Sometimes trying to make software work can be just as frustrating as trying to track down an elusive intermittent problem in our audio gear...

There is always "RockBox"

iPod 1st through 5.5th Generation, Color/Photo, Mini, Nano or Video

Rockbox for the iPod models supports a large number of plugins, including games, applications, and "demos" - have some fun when you've got some free time to kill, open files with the text viewer, make use of the stopwatch, view some JPEG photos, perhaps watch a video or two, or turn your iPod into a desktop clock. Also enjoy On-The-Go playlist creation and adjustment, full file bookmarking support and much more.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox

Just for your info...

Do not know what generation you Ipod is...

Actually I have never used it...

Love the FLAC

So far, I've ripped my five Frank Zappa LP's. I'm starting next on Dire Straits.
The Grand Wazoo is playing on my Paradigms as I type, scratches and all. Sounds wonderful! The detail beats the hell out of the lower bitrate MP3's which I have in the thousands.:music:

Back
Top Bottom