Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

Mods elevate it to compete with units in the $x - $xxx price range (insert your values)
or
Easily competes with units in the $x - $xxx price range (insert your values)

Just don't elevate your style above others.

Whether that be the equipment you use, the format you prefer or the genre/era you think somehow inherently superior.
That is the big one to me. Old timers claiming the music of the late 60's early 70's was "better" than the music of today.
------------------------------------------------

So my entry in this thread, what makes me cringe (more like roll my eyes) is when I hear someone say,

"There is no good music being made today." or the always laughable, "the best era for music ever was the late 60's early 70's."

@eljr Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I only ask because I'm 65, and I agree with you. In fact for me it may be even more annoying because the people spouting off this crap are my peers, my contemporaries, who I would like to think know better. Yes the music was great and there was a lot of talent and creativity. But literally every generation has their great music and talented artists. IMO failing to recognize that means you grew to a point......then stopped and remain perpetually stuck in one place.

Last edited:
Doesnt make me cringe but where did the phrase “piece of kit” (inevitably with the words “its a nice” before it) come from? Is this an Aussie thing or English thing? Kit was the car in Night Rider, not a piece of stereo gear.

I always thought it was Kitt (Knight Industries Two Thousand). Rig is what I often call my system.

When I started actively collecting I thought it was silly that this bothered some people. Now that I've been doing it for a few years, yeah it def. bothers the hell out of me.

Last edited:
One that always bothered me was

"Just smear the silicone all over the surround and let it dry"

Its "Cure" not "dry"

MINTY!!!! Is this even a valid word when used in the context of condition? In any event,I really don't give a shit,because it's use will still piss me off regardless.

I'm guilty of minty, and I think it has its place. To me, mint is perfection, brand new, never been touched, still exactly as it was when it left the factory.

Minty is suggesting it's about as close as you can get to mint, yet it has been used and handled, albeit gently enough as to have not left any evidence as such. Almost mint, which sounds like the next logical step below mint, suggests that it might have a cosmetic imperfection or light signs of use. Minty enjoys the space between the two.

For example:

I've gone over every square inch of that Sony D1090 I bought summertime a year ago and my OCD cannot find a single cosmetic imperfection - down to the original box and plastic bag Sony used to wrap it in, the owner's manual and warranty card still sealed in its bag along with the loop AM antenna and FM white wire antenna, the customary Sony green twist-tie on the power cord, with a cord that still retains its original bends. It, without a doubt, fits my definition of minty. Like it was carefully unboxed, placed in a cabinet 25 years ago, and never physically touched again until it was boxed to send to me.

That, to me, is minty. (Not to mention a helluva good deal when I bought it.)

Minty gets a pass in my book. ;)

I'm guilty of minty, and I think it has its place. To me, mint is perfection, brand new, never been touched, still exactly as it was when it left the factory.

Minty is suggesting it's about as close as you can get to mint, yet it has been used and handled, albeit gently enough as to have not left any evidence as such. Almost mint, which sounds like the next logical step below mint, suggests that it might have a cosmetic imperfection or light signs of use. Minty enjoys the space between the two.

For example:

I've gone over every square inch of that Sony D1090 I bought summertime a year ago and my OCD cannot find a single cosmetic imperfection - down to the original box and plastic bag Sony used to wrap it in, the owner's manual and warranty card still sealed in its bag along with the loop AM antenna and FM white wire antenna, the customary Sony green twist-tie on the power cord, with a cord that still retains its original bends. It, without a doubt, fits my definition of minty. Like it was carefully unboxed, placed in a cabinet 25 years ago, and never physically touched again until it was boxed to send to me.

That, to me, is minty. (Not to mention a helluva good deal when I bought it.)

Minty gets a pass in my book. ;)

Still pisses me off:p

I challenge anyone to find an equipment review that doesn't contain either of the following: "jaw-dropping" or "gobsmacked."

All you people out there just shut up. I mean it shut up cause there's someone here that doesn't like what your saying you damn audio goobers. No don't you look at me like that. OK. That's it no internet for week

Punches above it's class< what the hell does that mean? If your starting with a walkman it might not be so good.

Snake oil
< something someone hasn't tried or could even afford
Actually, snake oil can be a product that someone’s already tried, and they realize how bogus it is, therefore calls it “snake oil”. Snake oil can also be something a smart person understand without the need to experience it themselves, e.g., a green magic marker that tightens bass on a CD. Snake oil doesn’t always mean something that someone can’t afford.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom