Audio Engine B1, Experience?

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Roy Skinner, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Roy Skinner

Roy Skinner Active Member

What experience have AKers had with the Audio Engine B1. I will be working through the hours of my favorite Public Radio shows, so I will be needing high quality blue tooth for listening on demand. I will need high quality music sound.
    Thanks, Roy

2. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

I have one and it's much better than a cheapo Logitech. I also like the fact that it has an optical out which I use into a better dac even though the onboard dac isn't bad. If you have to use bt and not Chromecast I think the Audio Engine does about as well as bt will allow it to.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  3. Roy Skinner

I had a cheap one I bought from MCM, and found that it seemed to limit volume, hence it hasn't been used much.
    Some of the Amazon reviews mentioned that the units broke prematurely. They only lasted a few months. That is the only negative I saw mentioned. I like the fact that it has a reportedly decent DAC since I do not have one. I have used you tube to just get the gist of what a piece of music sounds like.
    Thanks for your input.

4. GAryB

GAryB AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree. I've got one which I use in the stereo in my work room and it sounds quite good. I stream bluetooth from my iphone and use it to listen to internet radio stations or siriusxm. Highly recommended.
    ---Gary

5. Roy Skinner

Gary, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I plan to purchase one next month, and join the world of on demand listening. This should be interesting.

6. GAryB

GAryB AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't think that you'll regret it. You might ask them for a show discount. I went to an audio show in Los Angeles and they were offering a reasonable discount at the show. But they didn't actually sell them at the show. They just sent them to you from the factory and they said they'd honor the price if you called them up. The Rocky Mountain show was this past weekend, so you might ask if they'd honor the RMAF show discount. Something like $30 off the normal price.
    ---Gary

7. Roy Skinner

Thanks for the tip, but I must wait a month or so to purchase it.

8. subtlebeast

subtlebeast Active Member

I am using one with to stream music to my outdoor set up. The signal is strong enough to go through my foundation wall and synchronize to my IPad. It's probably a good 50-75 feet. The sound quality is really good for what it is.

9. Roy Skinner

I am pretty well sold on the B1.
    As a side note I have been trying out a little JBL Flip 3. I accidentally bought it while researching a good blue tooth speaker for my daughter. Somehow my finger tapped the buy with one click button and low and behold it is here. It is an impressive little speaker. I hope she will enjoy it. I am amazed at the lousy sound kids will enjoy these days. She lives in a quarter million dollar house and gets her music from a phone by itself. Makes me feel like a failure.

10. qjm101

qjm101 Member

I bought the B1 mainly for internet radio (very few FM stations near me that I care to listen to) and my desk top computer is in another room and running any type of wire would be problematic. Got it hooked up and it works fine but thought the sound quality, while very good, was not great, so I still used CD player. Decided to experiment with an external DAC (Cambridge Audio). End result: I haven't "played" any CD's in almost a year.