Audio Karma Glossary

Amplifier question

If you have three amps all with the same basic inputs and outputs. Two RTR, three Cassettes, How do you hook them up so that all three amps have #1 RTR in the tape one position, One Cassette in the tape two position and where the heck do you put the rest when you only have 2 tape inputs, unless you have a router...but then wouldn't you need more? I am afraid that hooking the output of RTR to in of first amp then 'Y' ing it to inputs of the other amps doesnt work and that if I hook up all the outputs to 'Y's something is going to let out the smoke. HELP!!!!!!
Thanks Steve (brain dead right at the moment) got that CRS going on.

There is one term that my feeble brain hasn't grasped just yet, BUMP. It's used as a single comment. Anyone want to help me out with this?

There is one term that my feeble brain hasn't grasped just yet, BUMP. It's used as a single comment. Anyone want to help me out with this?

bump. is just to move the thread back to the top of the list of new posts. so that when somebody clicks "new posts" they will see it back up at the top of the list.

Hello people ,please if some one can help me and give me their advice about the yamaha pre amps. I got C2 AND C40 .Any one tell me which one is to keep with M50 power amp.

Please add Williamsonite!

Williamsonite: Cave residing being that believes the only true High-Fidelity amplifier is the pre stereo original (KT-66) Williamson, when stereo came around you bought or made a second one.

yes im new and im suffering from serious audio addiction! what does moffit? something like that ..id recognize it..used when taking about vintage amps/recievers...

SET = Single Ended Triode - A type of Tube amplifier.

I'll let one of the tube guru's explain the specifics.. Suffice it to say they are typically lower wattage and one of the first tube amplifiers typically purchased when one delves into toobs...

very great list!especially for a "frenchie"!
but I wonder what means:EVG(replacement stylus)
thanks everybody!

Got a new one to counter an entry made by the OP.

The OP's entry was BPC, black plastic "crap"

This would be MUCH better defined as BFPAG, black face plated AWESOME gear. 90s and later ss gear that looks much nicer and sounds much better than the crappy looking and sounding ss gear of the 70s and 80s. A very elegant semi gloss black face plate with a minimum of controls. For an integrated amp or stand alone preamp, the ideal face plate would contain a power switch, source/function/input selector switch, volume control, variable loudness control and a mini LED power indicator. For a receiver, just add a tuner display and controls.

There is nothing more hideous than a silver face plate jam packed with all sorts of knobs and switches that control so called "features" that only serve to downgrade the already poor sound quality. SS gear wasn't well liked when it was introduced in the 70s and Yamaha was about the only company making decent gear for about the first 2 decades. In the 90s, transistors were finally being made that could deliver appreciable sound quality and they have been greatly improving ever since.

I know that I am in the minority on AK being one who prefers modern gear and I don't mean to troll, but I just had to vent some frustration caused by the constant bashing of newer gear. I have yet to come across any piece of 70s or 80s ss gear that can produce the clear, well defined sound and create the magic that modern ss gear can provide. I just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited:
"Zorched" real meaning 'Utterly drunk and/or wasted'. But I have seen it used to refer to burnt components, shorted transistors and the like.

I quite like it, seems a bit like torched or scorched, but with a bit more of a destructive feel to it. :)

Also F.U.C.T = Failed Under Constant Testing ;)

Got a new one to counter an entry made by the OP.

The OP's entry was BPC, black plastic "crap"

This would be MUCH better defined as BFPAG, black face plated AWESOME gear. 90s and later ss gear that looks much nicer and sounds much better than the crappy looking and sounding ss gear of the 70s and 80s. A very elegant semi gloss black face plate with a minimum of controls. For an integrated amp or stand alone preamp, the ideal face plate would contain a power switch, source/function/input selector switch, volume control, variable loudness control and a mini LED power indicator. For a receiver, just add a tuner display and controls.

There is nothing more hideous than a silver face plate jam packed with all sorts of knobs and switches that control so called "features" that only serve to downgrade the already poor sound quality. SS gear wasn't well liked when it was introduced in the 70s and Yamaha was about the only company making decent gear for about the first 2 decades. In the 90s, transistors were finally being made that could deliver appreciable sound quality and they have been greatly improving ever since.

I know that I am in the minority on AK being one who prefers modern gear and I don't mean to troll, but I just had to vent some frustration caused by the constant bashing of newer gear. I have yet to come across any piece of 70s or 80s ss gear that can produce the clear, well defined sound and create the magic that modern ss gear can provide. I just had to get that off my chest.

All fine points, but BPC is still BPC. It's crap not because it's black or modern or heck, even plastic for that matter...but because it sucks.
Some modern black stuff is excellent. Some is crap. Just like some vintage stuff is great and some is junk.

All fine points, but BPC is still BPC. It's crap not because it's black or modern or heck, even plastic for that matter...but because it sucks.
Some modern black stuff is excellent. Some is crap. Just like some vintage stuff is great and some is junk.

Again, had to vent.

Part of my frustration comes from people who state their disdain for something such as modern ss gear in a very generalized way not making exceptions or really leaving any room for exceptions. It's just thrown out there with complete disregard for the fact that someone else might be offended. This is often done by people who get very offended by turnabout and turnabout IS fair play.

As for pre 90s ss gear, I have heard music on a lot of it including some high end stuff and none of it impressed me in the slightest. I would rather have a 2014 RCA receiver than 70s or 80s McIntosh ss preamp and power amp. That's how bad that old ss gear sounds to me and RCA btw, is one of the brands that I avoid like the plague along with Bose, Panasonic and the like. Just saying....

Back
Top Bottom