Audio Note AN-J's

Damn my love of wimpy amplifiers! :sigh:

I understand they'd probably do okay with SE 300Bs, but what do you suppose is the lowest amount of power you could feed them and still get satisfying results?

Damn my love of wimpy amplifiers! :sigh:

I understand they'd probably do okay with SE 300Bs, but what do you suppose is the lowest amount of power you could feed them and still get satisfying results?

Hi Nate...the lowest output that I have used these with is the LC PP tube amp with 6L6's so around 30ish wpc. These are of course "tube watts" so entirely different...:smoke:
Considering the AN amps are or can be low wattage units, I would have to say that they would fare pretty well. As always YMMV. Bill might be a better person to ask about this as he has built a pair of the E's and has SET amps on hand...:yes:

With the Es, 2A3 was not enough, 300B pretty good (but barely) and 45 - forget about it. My old CJ MV-75A1 was much more like it but probably over-kill - a good 6L6 like Bill has or even an EL84 p-p would probably be real nice but I didn't have one on-hand when I had Grump's Es here.

Now this is just my opinion (in my room/system) of-coarse so your mileage may vary; I actually think 2A3 is only just enough for my 100db Altecs (300B is probably more like it...but 300B just ain't 2A3 :) )

I've got no business looking at other speakers anyway, but I've always liked the idea of trying the Audio Note line. Thanks for the good information, gents.

Even the AN rooms didn't skimp on power, at past fests. The AN Oto SE was a bit shy for the E's. The almarro A318, played into E's, at one of the early fests, seemed to be damned nice combo, even if they did wear out the St. James Infirmary record.

Of course, my memory of that overnight is a bit, um, hazy.

Hmmm...yes, it's coming back to me...a little.

You are right Ernie, the Es sounded fantastic with that A318, maybe the best I ever heard them.

Wow, Bill. Your system is evolving in to some serious territory. Nice!

Wow. They look so simple and so elegant.

I only want to ask in order to establish the fact. How much do they cost?

I doubt I have an amp that can produce clean enough sound for a pair of speakers like that but someday..

Wow. They look so simple and so elegant.

I only want to ask in order to establish the fact. How much do they cost?

I doubt I have an amp that can produce clean enough sound for a pair of speakers like that but someday..

I paid 1600 for these used. They are worth every penny IMHO..:thmbsp:
here are a few AK threads regarding the AN-J's including one from the original owner.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11907

Here is another...I find it interesting that in this thread several people whom have never heard the AN's. which are based upon the Peter Snell designs make the case for simply getting a pair of Snell's and saving the dough. While I am all for saving a buck, there are simply some shortcuts that are just not going to leave you satisfied. I really like Snell speakers and have owned my share, but they are not in the same class as an AN...The difference is not subtle.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=294343

The bargain hunters and corner cutters are exactly why I didn't post this thread in Speaker Forum. Cerwin Vegas aside :smoke: these are are hard to beat in their price range...:thmbsp:

Last edited:
here are a few AK threads regarding the AN-J's including one from the original owner.

Here is another...I find it interesting that in this thread several people whom have never heard the AN's. which are based upon the Peter Snell designs make the case for simply getting a pair of Snell's and saving the dough. While I am all for saving a buck, there are simply some shortcuts that are just not going to leave you satisfied. I really like Snell speakers and have owned my share, but they are not in the same class ans an AN...The difference is not subtle.

The bargain hunters and corner cutters are exactly why I didn't post this thread in Speaker Forum. Cerwin Vegas aside :smoke: these are are hard to beat in their price range...:thmbsp:

I would love a pair of those AN-J's, especially if they are a Peter Snell design. I still have a mint pair of Snell Type EII's (circa 1988) that I traded for a pair of Klipsch Heresy II's. One of the better trades that I have ever made. I still feel that these speakers are so far below the radar and can be had for a mere pittance. Great if you are on a budget. They are one of the few pieces of gear that I have left over 20 years old. I am saving them for my Son. That said, I would love to hear how much better the AN-J's sound. They must be special.

I find it amusing that nearly anything that is posted in the General, Speaker, or Turntable, etc. forums gets the usual response. Recommendations for thrift stores, garage sales, "scroes" and the venerable "vintage is better" responses run rampid. I will scan those forums, but in all honestly they bore me. I have focused my attention on Modern Day Hifi because that is what I am interested in. Great post and I will be looking to find a pair of these to audition.

Here is another...I find it interesting that in this thread several people whom have never heard the AN's. which are based upon the Peter Snell designs make the case for simply getting a pair of Snell's and saving the dough. While I am all for saving a buck, there are simply some shortcuts that are just not going to leave you satisfied. I really like Snell speakers and have owned my share, but they are not in the same class ans an AN...The difference is not subtle.

Yeah , Bill I remember a discussion relative to AN's which I love and the whole Snell thing came up. Just like you I like Snell's but the AN's are quite special and in another league altogether. Very nice to see that you have a pair.

Just a quick note on amplifier power - The AN J is easier to drive than the AN E- the J has an easier load never dropping under 5ohms while the E dips to 3.6 ohms.

The OTO Phono SE which I have was measured as 4.2 watts per channel undistorted - it has no problem with the E but it runs out of gas on the E.

Audio Note now has a HE driver version which they rate at 98db (probably around 94 because people don't do as instructed and corner load them). The new Hemp drivers are easier on the amps. Further there is a new more powerful upgraded OTO Phono SE.

PS Congrats on the speakers - since I owned them and reviewed them for dagogo it's nice to see someone enjoying them - I wish I had them in a nice colour like yours - I bought a black set on discount a number of years ago.

Hi,
I heard them at the New York Audio Show, Audio Note was there with a whole
system, they sounding terrific, Can I ask what amp are you using that on the floor
in front of the right speaker. Enjoy your system.

Tube

Back
Top Bottom