Audio Note AN-J's

I gotta say I loved all the Audio Notes I heard. Just incredibly musical speakers. You are a man to be envied!

BTW, were those your's that Keger was playing at 4AM. :)

I gotta say I loved all the Audio Notes I heard. Just incredibly musical speakers. You are a man to be envied!

BTW, were those your's that Keger was playing at 4AM. :)

Ayup, that was them...:smoke: And...thanks to Keg, I can cross off "listening to Dio on the AN-Js from my bucket list..." :D

Thanks again for the Blue Rodeo hook up...listening now...so good!

Last edited:
When I covered CES 2010 - Peer Qvortrup was playing Nightwish, Slipknott, some death metal and the Evil Nine on the AN E (basically the bigger brother of the J) with his 20 watt Jinro.

It was comical how loud and how much bass the AN E was pumping out effortlessly into the room. With no distortion - the drivers barely moving.

Corner gain adds 12-18db to the bass and a few db to the sensitivity.

I am likely going to bring my AN J/SPes out to Hong Kong. The AN E is overkill for the apartment sizes here - the AN J is a little overkill to be frank but sound quality is difficult to beat if music is the first priority - I've heard some other speakers lately that do some things better but for whatever reason as a complete speaker to relax to something about them begins to fatigue me.

cheers,

As an apartment dweller these are fantastic. They are almost, as you describe a little big even, but are hard to beat for their abilities.

There is something special about them that makes you forget about the gear and just listen to the music.

Loved having your speakers in our room Bill,
Thank you for making our room sound so good. :thmbsp:

Man - all of the AN gear that I've heard is really, really nice. I just wish that it wasn't so damned expensive...

Yeah the prices are high - unfortunately when it's hand built in England with British wages and unions and medical and overhead it's going to be an X factor higher than other gear.

Still, AN does make some affordable stuff - the AX Two loudspeaker carries a list of $1200 US but used $500ish. These are excellent loudspeakers - They were designed by Andy Whittle (Rogers LS-3/5a fame and Celestion) for Audio Note and they're very much like AN J mini-me's). I own both the AX Two and the AN J/Spe. The I zero integrated is very good and under $2500 (arguably the best under $2500 amp I've heard).

And the Non oversampling CD replay IMO is without equal and comes at sane prices (better prices with a kit). Though I'm less of a fan of the speakers as kits because they can't be properly matched like the production models.

27924283-A0B9-4FC1-AFEC-1F209D4D8406.jpeg 2A624081-9347-4A19-9E40-232A7EA6E857.jpeg Not to hijack an Audio Note thread, but since it is old, let me show you what can be done with old Snell E II’s, with a custom cabinet and Audio Note drivers installed. Also, crossovers reworked by AK member Gordonw. While I haven’t heard the Audio Note AN E’s, these sound pretty good to me.

Reactions: RGA
View attachment 1217836 View attachment 1217837 Not to hijack an Audio Note thread, but since it is old, let me show you what can be done with old Snell E II’s, with a custom cabinet and Audio Note drivers installed. Also, crossovers reworked by AK member Gordonw. While I haven’t heard the Audio Note AN E’s, these sound pretty good to me.

Also not to hijack the thread...(nice speakers)...but is that a Pass Labs X250? My dream amp?! How long have you had it? PM me if you'd like. I almost bought one recently. I still hope to some day.

Not to hijack an Audio Note thread, but since it is old, let me show you what can be done with old Snell E II’s, with a custom cabinet and Audio Note drivers installed. Also, crossovers reworked by AK member Gordonw. While I haven’t heard the Audio Note AN E’s, these sound pretty good to me.
Man, those look great!

But... but... if the cabinets are custom, the drivers are Audio Note, and the crossovers are reworked... what's left of the Snells? Binding posts? :)

Man, those look great!

But... but... if the cabinets are custom, the drivers are Audio Note, and the crossovers are reworked... what's left of the Snells? Binding posts? :)
Basically, yes, binding posts. The crossovers were duplicated to the E II crossovers by Gordonw. He even bundled the caps to the originals, as Peter Snell did.

Also not to hijack the thread...(nice speakers)...but is that a Pass Labs X250? My dream amp?! How long have you had it? PM me if you'd like. I almost bought one recently. I still hope to some day.
Yes, that is a Pass Labs X250. I got it from Reno HiFi. They were really great to work with and gave me a very good price and a years guarantee on it also. I've had it now for about 1 1/2 years. It is a beast and does run a bit warm, like most Pass amps do. I also have a new Audible Illusions Modulus 3B preamp that is right at a year old. This is a great combo with the tubes of the pre and the power of the SS in the amp.

Back
Top Bottom