Audio Note Speakers

Not in corners - the hemp drivers are a rather big step up over the old paper ones. Not rock but diverse. No room treatments entry level AN DAC.

New Audio Note speakers coming: The Big E is being designed by Andy Whittle of Rogers LS-3/5a fame and Celestion. He is designing a bigger AN E model utilizing a 10 inch woofer for larger rooms and floorstander based on the Snell Type C - the latter is the one I find more interesting. I'd still like to see them make a Type A but the size and ugly factor probably won't make that happen.

I'll probably put an order in for the turntable while it is somewhat still affordable. The old Voyd Reference is one of the two best turntables I've ever heard and AN models their designs off that table. I'd have bought a Voyd but the second hand prices have skyrocketed and you can't get the motors any more. So this may be the next best thing - still a sprung chassis quick energy release design as opposed o the heavy mass stored energy platforms. Prototype type C speakers

prototype-c.jpg

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/01/13/qa-with-audio-note-uks-peter-qvortrup/

Richard

I owned Snell Type A II's from when I bought them new in 1981 to when I gave them to my son to replace the woofers in 2000. They were nothing that resembled ugly, but yes they were really big. One of the classic speakers of our lifetime and Peter's crowning achievement. The problem with Peter Q reproducing them is that with he thinks his required margins should be is that they would be priced at in excess of $50,000. A far cry from the $1450 I paid for mine new. I am sure his margins on the two new designs you mentioned will be just as obscene.

I would not want to get into an if/then scenario with the prices since AN does sell speakers at $700, $1000, $1500, $2000, $2700, $3000, $3500, $4000, $4500, $5500, $6500, $7000, $7500, $7800...and on up to $208,000 (for an E). And the AN versions are rather a lot different than the original Snell models. Other than cabinet shape and dimensions - there isn't a single thing that is the same.

So it's kind of tough to say how the pricing would be. Size might make a hypothetical type A more expensive but then they do sell more expensive Type K models than Type E or J models.

They would have to be 100% more than a simple inflation calculator simply because they would be made in the UK versus the US which is where the Snells were made. And to be fair AN speakers and Snell speakers are completely different. The only thing they share is the cabinet dimensions which were from L.L. Beranek (the famous Acoustician and opera house designer) back in the 40s. The Snells had rear firing tweeters which Peter dropped, Snells were not designed for corners. Snells were made with cheap particle board and MDF.

I personally have no issues with people who site 2 channel audio today as being too expensive - I agree with that sentiment. The problem for audiophiles though is that the market is what the market is. I love Single Ended amplifiers and I don't like shouty horn speakers or dynamically constipated dynamically challenged single drivers. So it really limits the options. The fatty speakers sound the best to me and while the J/D at $3950 (you'll get it for $3500) is relatively pricey versus an inflation calculated Type J from Snell - it's kind of what the market will bare. $3500 for a speaker hand made in England and is very close to full range and can be driven off 5 watts and in ten years will allow you to sell it for $3500 costing you inflation is a pretty nice package and pretty stiff competition in the $3500 range. For that I don't mind if Peter and his dealers makes a profit.

They made a profit on my TT2, my OTO and my J/Spe - The latter two I can sell for more than I originally paid, and I sold my TT2 for 20% more than I originally paid. So umm I made a profit too. Everybody wins! And it's why I get labelled a fanatic - but everyone becomes fans of things they like. You meet a beautiful woman you love her you are a fanatic for your wife. I find a stereo that pleases me - great - I'm a fan. Oh wait I can own the gear for a decade and it also costs me nada, zilch, nothing - I can sell it for what I paid - holy crap - that just doubled my level of fandom which was already pretty high based on all the auditions.

As much as I like the sound of my LM gear - and I really do - I'll never get even half of what I paid for them if I sell them. The KEF - ha - a dealer here offered me 1/4 of the price I paid - he said - it's Chinese - no one wants it. And I live in China!

Last edited:
AN in the recording studio - Some interesting vinyl being released on the small label called Gearbox records.

Gearbox-monitors-%26-Studer.jpg

I find it interesting that they're cutting the vinyls in house as well. An interview with the head of Gearbox Records (mainly a Jazz label)

I like Sapele a lot and also there some apple woods that are nice too, maybe a bit more boring than the one you showed. Amazing the combinations that can be had though, almost mind numbing!

I'm not a married guy but I like the fact that they have 20+ finishes to choose from even on their $2500 models. It would make getting them past the wife's acceptance factor a little bit easier. I never quite get why a tiny ass company like AN can offer that while other companies with $12,000 standmounts offer only two colours or in some instances only one! I don't know if AN still does it but at one time they would do them any way you wanted - I saw a British Racing Green (like those old Austin Minis) AN E with gold tweeter rings. I wish I had copied the picture because I've not been able to find it since.

And yet with their constant talk of Silver - you'd think they would have - umm - a silver version. Granted they tried that with the TT1 and it was uuUUUUGly!

Yes, I saw the photos of the silver TT1, indeed, nasty as all get out! As to how they are able to do all the finishes they have, I imagine if one is willing to wait long enough, many things can be done. In this society of instant gratification though, many will not wait for them to be built up etc. and delivery times.

Last edited:
Reactions: RGA
Yes Peter Q I think wasn't as prepared for the lack of patience in the NA market. What they probably should do is stock four color choice (or 2) and let people have those right away if they wish - or place the order for the color they want.

The AN K in this show report is the optional extra price paid on the high gloss finish. Which explains the $3,950 price tag).

This was Dave Cope's last show for Audio Note
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/THE_Show_Newport_2016/Audio_Note_UK/

Good stuff there. I did have to chuckle a bit when I saw Steven Rochlin in the video with Peter. Oh my...what's with the shades? Too cool I guess.

I agree on stocking at least a couple of the most popular finishes, one would think they could determine the general quantity based on past sales. But it isn't always as easy as that, and sometimes I do think there is a bit of exclusiveness that factors in to it as well. But that can be a whole other story. (Note: not trying to insinuate anything here or give a poke at AN, it is just funny how the market goes with things that are hard to get at times.)

Tim it's still a business - it's not like they give the stuff away so they like other companies have to find an edge like anyone else. And brand prestige (selling Prestige) is a a marketing angle. PQ has learned from the likes of Rolls Royce when Rolls Royce was the king of the hill. Rolls never had to advertise because as they would say "if you want the best you'll find us" and so I agree with you this is certainly a smart angle. On the other hand you kind of have to back it up for that prestige to last by quality of sound, parts, and with Rolls - the ride.

I like what you say about exclusivity. With so many colour options and in matte or gloss you're up to 40 permutations. Factor in about 18 versions of the E (as you can get them wired differently with different drivers) I figure there are about 700 different AN E versions to choose from. It's possible then that a person could own a particular permutation of any give speaker model that no one else owns. So that's kind of a plus for a buyer in the sense that you're not just another in a sea of thousands who have the same black box.

Still it would be nice to see other makers do it. If AN can do it on $3k speakers I would certainly expect competing makers selling $12k standmounts to offer more than one. For $10k I guess I would hope for some of that prestige or exclusivity to be part of the premium you're paying.

And I would say I am happy that they still offer the stripped down nothing fancy "D" versions of their stuff. Don't have to pay the premium for the finishes or the newer drivers. Good ole E/D in plain black with the paper woofer for a few grand less. But you lose that "prestige" factor - which I might add is a sneaky ploy to get people to go up a model. Cause most people never want the bottom of the line model. Hey for $500 more you can get XYZ and if you're already in for $6k what's another $500. It's good marketing when the guy is already hooked on the sound. And hey they will sell you an OTO too cause - the speakers sound better with the OTO so the guy says - yeah order one of those as he sells his ABC amp. It's insidious.

Steven and the shades is funny - the only thing I can think of is his lighting must be blinding him - looks like a makeshift studio.

Back
Top Bottom