Audiodon has left us...

My next door neighbor, 45, died, slowly, of ALS. Ghastly disease. Amazingly, we are no closer to figuring it out than when Lou Gehrig died.

My next door neighbor (Pete Frates.. the ice bucket challenge guy) is still fighting. Since awareness of ALS has spread and lots of money being raised, hopefully a cure or something to slow the progression of the disease is coming soon.

Posted on the main thread, RIP and Godspeed, AudioDon. A class act, who's friendly and helpful nature enhanced all who was around him. AudioDon was welcoming and friendly to newbie AK'ers, and a fount of knowledge, and wisdom. He'll be missed and forever remembered! I admired him.

Wish I lived closer to have been able to attend. Nice to see so many who's lives Don touched.
Thanks for the pics Brian.

Well, its obvious that AudioDon had plenty of good friends

I went back and noted each time he encouraged me in my efforts in my posts

Thanks Don

Very sad to hear this news, and sorry I did not know this sooner in order to attend the service. Only met him a few times, but he was a kind man, a generous soul, and a creative spirit. ALS is a truly horrible disease, and Don remained strong and gracious throughout his difficult final years.

Don gave a talk on sub-woofer integration at an AK Fest about five years ago. I was inspired to invite him to give a similar talk to the Boston Audio Society, which he generously did. Many of the BAS members remembered him initially from that presentation.

Does anyone still have the CD he made for that talk? I could make a Spottily playlist from it.

Oh my. I knew he wasn't doing well, this is profoundly sad.

Don, who didn't know me form Adam dug into is stock pile to come up with a knob for my 400 and wouldn't take a penny for it.

I've enjoyed his postings on the forum, and it's clear this entire community was enriched by his participation.

God Speed Don.

I am so sad to learn about this. Don was helpful to so many of us on this Fisher Forum. He exhibited great strength of character along the way. Condolences to his family.

Joe

Hi everyone. I spoke to Don's wife Dana this afternoon. She had just finished reading the entire thread. She was really pleased and moved by all of the wonderful things our community had to say about Don. She wanted me to pass along her thanks to all of you.

Don's daughters also have the link and I'm sure they will read all of the comments. Thanks so much for all of the great things you have said about Don and thanks to our moderator team for making it possible for Don's family to read these messages. --Dan

Like many here - Don Welcomed me as an old friend almost the moment I stumbled into the first FrankenFest I attend in (2011?) - Kind, Open, Generous, genuinely curious in All people he met, low, high, washed and unwashed, charitable, understanding, respectful, a great listener, and not shy nor pushy either with his own thoughts - a rare and mighty skill.

The more we became acquainted, and traded and chatted and asked and talked and kibitzed and emailed and bought and sold, it rather quickly became apparent that we were functionally brothers from another mother. Down to the same model (AND YEAR) obscure car we both had bought (dumb idea..Lucas electrics.....) as our first car. It just kept going on like that. So not only was he an inexhaustible source of audio knowledge, hints, lore, opinion, tricks and trivia, he fast became, late in both of our lives, one of my closest friends.

I miss him daily. More importantly I remember him fondly daily. I am a better person and the world a better home for all persons for him sharing it with us all too briefly.

His grace and humor and peace in his illness I will never forget. A Giant of a strong man, a feeling man, a Mensch.

Fair Winds, friend, may the road always rise up to meet you, all your carbon comps never drift, all your getter flashings never dull. All Fishers have the original jewel lights and yellow tags. May your love of your family live on forever in them.

* guy also had a wicked sense of humor. I thought he had made a killer pun by referring to a Brit speaker brand called 'Spendor' - as in overpriced I thought. He set me straight. But I do credit him with the epic 'Condiscenti'

I'm sorry that I stumbled upon this news just now.... While I don't have the honor of calling Don my friend, he was the only one I came to know on a personal level from posting on the AK. He fixed my SET amp for me; I went to his house in Arlington once or twice, and he came to deliver the repaired amp to my house in RI once, on his way to visit his oldest daughter. We spoke on the phone and exchanged PMs a few times, and after his diagnosis I saw him once in Clinton at the Frankenfest. He was an interesting person with deep-held beliefs, and a vast amount of knowledge about audio. He had two very young daughters, and I would be more than eager to contribute to a 'go fund me' for them.
His family must have suffered immensely for the past 3 years. For a young child to witness a parent slowly succumbing to this terrible condition is a memory that would haunt one forever.
I'm glad Don isn't suffering any more, and neither are his loved ones.

Back
Top Bottom